AleMan

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z170A M7 Gaming
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
GPU
Asus ROG GTX 1070 O8G
Hi! I've a trouble with Airdrop.. it was disabled and I activate it by terminal with the command:

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

so, now in finder I see the airdrop icon but non the name and if I click on it the there isn't nothing.. o_O
Have someone a solution?:unsure:

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Without knowing which Wi-fi/BT card you are using and details of which method you have used to get them working, no one will be able to help you.

Provide this information and I will happily have a look to see what if anything could be causing this problem.

AleMan

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z170A M7 Gaming
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
GPU
Asus ROG GTX 1070 O8G
I have done a fresh install.. so now I need help to inject my bluetooth dongle correctly.. I'm running macOS 10.13.4 and my BT dongle have the BCM20702a0 chip, it is recognized in the system preferences.. can someone help me?

Attachments

AleMan

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z170A M7 Gaming
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
GPU
Asus ROG GTX 1070 O8G
Rehabman's BrcmPatchRam should help - https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM

Install the two required kexts to either EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other or /System/Library/Extensions as instructed by Rehabman. This should getyour Bluetooth dongle fully working.
Ok, bluetooth now work correctly! ;)(y)
I've used BrcmPatchRam2.kext and BrcmFirmwareData.kext in EFI/Clover/kexts.
Now I'm able to find and connect with my device, i've also tried a no Apple bluetooth speaker and it's all right, however the problem with AirDrop remain, the same in my first post..
I'm connected with LAN cable, not Wi-Fi, can it be for that? :eek:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Yes you would need wifi for AirDrop to work, it will not work via a LAN connection.

I have also assumed you using a USB BT dongle, that being the case then you are not going to have handoff or continuity working either. Just the standard BT capabilities available via the USB dongle.

AleMan

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z170A M7 Gaming
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
GPU
Asus ROG GTX 1070 O8G
Yes you would need wifi for AirDrop to work, it will not work via a LAN connection.

I have also assumed you using a USB BT dongle, that being the case then you are not going to have handoff or continuity working either. Just the standard BT capabilities available via the USB dongle.
Ok i understand!
I have a dongle USB Wi-Fi too, if i use this can Continuity and AirDrop work?
Previously on the last installation i inject it with RTL8188CUS driver but i manage the connection from a third part application, in fact Continuity activation tool doesn’t work because “No AirPort card detected”.
So, can i use a usb Wi-Fi or i mandatorily need a PCI card?
Thank for your availability!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
No the Realtek usb Wi-fi dongle will not provide AirPort connectivity. Likewise continuity is very unlikely to ever work with these components.

To gain these attributes your Hack would need an internal Wi-fi/BT combo card (pci-e or mini-pci-e) with the appropriate config.plist and kext patches to have these abilities on your Hack.

Sorry but the standard BT abilities you have already achieved is all you will have with these usb dongle’s/components.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI

AleMan

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z170A M7 Gaming
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
GPU
Asus ROG GTX 1070 O8G
Thank you Edhawk! I have a look to the list and decide if I want to try to buy one for enabling continuity! If I've news I'll write you ;)

N1gh7m4r3

macOS
10.11.x
Mobo
evga z370 ftw
Have a look at this webpage (site is for Dell Latitude Laptops) they have a list of supported and unsupported cards:

https://osxlatitude.com/topic/2120-inventory-of-supported-and-unsupported-wireless-cards/

This seems to be the most upto date list of working wifi/bt cards. So before you think about buying another wifi/BT card check that it is reported to work OOB or with a patch in OSX/macOS.
This list seems to only list wifi adapter cards, do you know of a list that has combo wifi/bluetooth cards?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
If you click on any of the Model Numbers in the list of supported cards, the hyperlink takes you to a Wiki page, which gives more information on the card, usually confirming if they also have BT 4.0 included.

From the list of Dell half-mini PCIE cards I would recommend the DW1550, which is a Wifi/BT combo card.

From the list of Dell NGGF/M.2 cards I would recommend the DW1560, which is also a Wifi/BT combo card.

Both have a Broadcom BCM4352 chipset, which work in macOS with the correct patches or DSDT edits. I use a couple of the DW1550 half-mini PCIE cards in my laptop Hacks.

macOS
10.11.x
Mobo
evga z370 ftw
If you click on any of the Model Numbers in the list of supported cards, the hyperlink takes you to a Wiki page, which gives more information on the card, usually confirming if they also have BT 4.0 included.

From the list of Dell half-mini PCIE cards I would recommend the DW1550, which is a Wifi/BT combo card.

From the list of Dell NGGF/M.2 cards I would recommend the DW1560, which is also a Wifi/BT combo card.

Both have a Broadcom BCM4352 chipset, which work in macOS with the correct patches or DSDT edits. I use a couple of the DW1550 half-mini PCIE cards in my laptop Hacks.
Ah I see user error, I hadn't looked at any of the Dell cards I was looking at the others, and not seeing BT. Thank you for the reply, and the suggestions.

*Edit: Do you have a particular reason for liking the DW1560 over the DW1830 as the latter is OOB?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
No, it is just that I have used the DW1550 and not the DW1830.

The DW1830 is a NGGF/M.2 card, the DW1550 is a half-mini PCIE card. If you have an M.2 connector the DW1830 would be the card to purchase.

Also just check that the card you are looking at purchasing has the same number of aerial connections as the card you are replacing. Buying a card with three aerial connections to replace one with only two aerials would not be a good move.