Help me Hackintoshers, you are my only hope!

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
I am having a miserable time with sleep/wake on my build. It works fine on Mojave, but with Catalina, its kind of awful.

First, the build
Coffee Lake i7, 3.7 Ghz
GA-Z370n-wifi
Samsung NVMe SSD

NOTE: I'm using HDMI Audio

Catalina 10.15.5

EFI Attached (apple folder omitted due to file size limit)

The issues:
1. Startup is actually frustratingly slow. It gets mostly through the progress bar, then, just sits there for 20 seconds (it seems) and then finally loads up. Booting under Mojave was significantly faster.
2. Sleep. This is where the real problem is. I have energy save set to "Prevent computer from sleeping...." If I Uncheck that box, then whenever it falls asleep it crashes and restarts. However, with it checked, the monitor will shut off and waking up the monitor just takes forever. Maybe a minute. Sometimes I get annoyed and move the monitor cable from the HDMI 2.0 port to the regular HDMI port, that seems to get the monitor back on. In any case, I didn't have this issue with Mojave. In Mojave, move mouse or hit a key, and monitor wakes.
3. Restarting. Restarting also takes a long time. Once you select restart from the apple menu, it just sits there at the finder screen with the spinning thing (not beach ball) in the middle of the screen for quite awhile before it finally restarts.

I've tried clearing the kext cache.
I've tried adding darkwake=0 to the boot flags
I've tried FixShutdown (going to test again though)
Did not solve it.
I've tried some other EFI folder builds from this site and others, but they either didn't boot OR gave me other, new problems.

Questions:
ACPI:
-Fix Shutdown flag?
-Drop Tables ok?
-Other options look correct?
-Patches seem good

Boot:
-Boot arguments ok?

Devices:
-Device Properties correct?

Kexts:
-Kexts to patch? Are these AGDP patches correct?

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
For future reference copy and paste the Bootlog in to a TextEdit document. compress the file and attach it to a post here. Same as you did for the EFI folder!

I will have a look t your EFI folder tomorrow (Tuesday) as it is approaching 23.40 here in the UK.

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Bootlog!

Yeah, that was awful, here is the bootlog in a zip and deleted those stupid posts.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
From an initial review of our Bootlog and EFI folder I would comment as follows:
  1. You have the most recent version of Clover installed, r5119. However you have implemented the Clover RC scripts as part of the Clover installation.
    • This is confirmed by the Clover_install_log.txt. What caught my eye is the final line of text in the RC Scripts section, shown in the screenshot below:
    • Screenshot 2020-06-09 at 08.22.30.png
    • One of the scripts is disabling a sleep proxy client. Are you sure this is necessary, are you sure you need the RC scripts?
  2. You are not using an SSDT-EC.aml for your system. This is usually required when running Catalina, to allow Apple's latest OS to boot correctly.
  3. Your SSDT-UIAC-GAZ370n-wifi.aml only activates 13 of a possible 20 USB ports that are present on your motherboard. This is 2 ports short of the 15 ports you can activate under macOS.
    • Your motherboard has the following USB ports:
      1. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB header
      2. 8 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (6 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
      3. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 1 support
    • You should look at whether all the Internal Header ports have been set with the correct 'UsbConnector' port type:
      • Only one port is identified as an internal port - HS10,
      • The other twelve are all set as USB 3.
      • If you are using the USB2 header port then there should be at least one, probably two ports set as USB2.
      • The USB3 Header may need to be set as internal/reserved and not USB3.
    • Issues with incorrectly set USB ports can often cause delays to boot and shutdown process as the OS can't release or activate the incorrectly set port(s) without some additional work.
    • USB issues can also mess up the sleep and wake process.
  4. Can you confirm which Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth module you are using, is it installed in the motherboard's built-in WiFi card slot, is it the BCM94352Z NGFF DW 1820A card?
    • Have you ensured the Bluetooth port from this internal connection is active and the port correctly identified as a USB2 port?
    • You are using FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_broadcom_WiFi.kext, You should be using Lilu.kext and AirportBrcmFixup.kext
    • You are using BrcmFirmwareData,.kext, BrcmNonPatchRam2.kext and BrcnatchRam2.kext to activate the bluetooth module. There are newer versions of these kexts branched/developed by Acidanthera that would work better with the DW 1820 WiFi/BT card in macOS Catalina.
To fully evaluate and check your config.plist I need to have a copy of your ACPI tables.

You can extract a copy by pressing the F4 key/button while on the Clover boot screen. the file save happens int eh background so just wait a few seconds for the save to happen before booting the system. The ACPI tables will be saved to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder. Compress and provide a copy of the populated origin folder.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Thanks for the all the feedback. I'd like to test some of your solutions here first, and then get you the ACPI and IOReg stuff.

I'll get rid of the RC Scripts, I do not believe that I need them.

I'll work on getting a SSDT-EC.aml. I think there are instructions for setting that up somewhere on this site.

I'll take a look at the USB map again. I didn't bother to activate all the ports because I simply don't need them all, BUT my keyboard/mouse are what 99.9% likely to be usb 2, so its very possible that USB2/3 assignment is a problem, so I'll dig into that.

The card is a broadcom card put into the mobo's wifi card slot. However, I'm not currently using wifi or bluetooth, so to help troubleshoot sleep wake, I think i'm just going to inactivate all these drivers and deal with that later.

So, let me make these changes first, and then I'll report in. If I still have troubles, I'll post a new boot log, ACPI and ioreg

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Question on this, I do have Lilu.kext already. Is FakePCID.kext needed for anything else, or can I inactivate that?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
SSDT-EC solution can be found in this guide by Hackintosher - https://hackintosher.com/guides/ae_not_found-dealing-appleacpiec-catalina-hackintosh/

You need Lilu.kext if you are using any of the plugins, such as AppleALC.kext, VirtualSMC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext and AirportBcmFixup.kext.

FakePCIID.kext is not needed, neither is the other FakePCIID plugin kext. They can be deleted from your /CLOER/kexts/Other folder if you are using the newer AirportBcmFixup.kext for your Broadcom WiFi.

Having your Broadcom card in the built-in slot is fine, as long as it is not a CNVi slot, which are known to be problematic in macOS and are normally disabled using an SSDT.

You will need to look at the USB port connected to the WiFi slot, as this will govern the Bluetooth module on the WiFi card. If it is not set correctly it is likely to cause issues for your system.

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
I also updated my EFI, I got rid of FakePCIID and the broadcom drivers for now. I'll circle back to that once I have sleep working. I also got a new SSDT for USB and an SSDT-EC

I also wiped out those Rc scripts.

After doing that, it certainly starts up a LOT more quickly, but still won't wake from sleep. Still, PROGRESS. New EFI attached

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
OK I have download the items from the three posts above and would comment as follows:
  • Your SSDT-UIAC.aml is attempting to activate 19 No. USB ports, when there is a 15 port limit for each USB controller under macOS.
  • Your IOREG shows that USB ports HS01-HS14 inclusive and SS01 are being activated. No other USB3 ports are being activated.
  • The ports activated in your system don't match the SSDT, hence my belief that the SSDT is not loading.
I would recommend the following:
  1. Remove the SSDT-UIAC.aml from your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  2. Add/Enable the USB port limit patches fo Catalina in your config.plist and make some edits to the SSDT-UIAC.dsl or the list of USB ports in Hackintool.
  3. Better yet take a screenshot showing the USB window in Hackintool, so I can see what your system is showing before you create a new SSDT-UIAC.aml.
I have edited your CLOVER folder as follows:
  • /CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder:
    • Deleted the SSDT-UIAC.aml as mentioned above.
    • Deleted the SSDT-EC.aml you had in your /CLOER/ACPI/patched folder.
    • Generated 3 SSDT's using corpnewt's SSDTTime script and your system's DSDT.aml. The SSDT's and patches generated by the script are in the Results folder attached.
    • I have added these SSDT's to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
      • SSDT-HPET.aml, along with three rename patches added to your config.plist.
      • SSDT-EC.aml
      • SSDT-PLUG.aml
    • Added SSDT-XOSI.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, along with a corresponding rename patch to your config.plist
  • /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder:
    • Deleted the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, this is no longer required when the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder is present.
  • /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder:
    • Deleted the duplicate drivers
    • Deleted the unnecessary drivers.
  • /CLOVER/kexts folder:
    • Deleted the numbered macOS folders, they are empty and serve no purpose
    • Deleted the Off folder.
    • Deleted the duplicate kexts from your Other folder.
    • Added these WiFi, Bluetooth and USB kexts:
      • AirportBrcmFixup.kext
      • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
      • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
      • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
      • XHCI-unsupported.kext - replaces XHCI-300-series-injector.kext
I have edited your config.plist as follow:
  • ACPI Section:
    • Added and deleted a number of ACPI rename patches
    • Added and deleted a number of ACPI fixes
    • Deleted the three Drop Table entries
    • Added and deleted a number of ACPI options
  • Boot Section:
    • Added and deleted a number of boot arguments
    • Deleted Default Loader entry
    • Changed Timeout=1 to Timeout=5
    • Deleted StrictHibernate=true
    • Added NeverHibernate=true
  • Devices Section:
    • Deleted USB Add ClockID=true and HighCurrent=true
  • GUI Section:
    • Set Scan > Custom > Entries=true and Tool=true
    • Added a number of common Hide Volume entries
  • Kernel an Kext Patches Section:
    • Added these Kernel patches
      • AppleIntelCPUPM=true
      • KernelXCPM=true
    • Changed these KextsToPatch entries:
      • Deleted the single (should be four) USB port limit patch for macOS Mojave
      • Added the two USB port limit patches for macOS Catalina
  • System Parameters Section:
    • Deleted Inject System ID
As you have removed your Serial number, SMUUID, Board SerialNumber/MLB I have not made any changes to the Rt Variables or SMBIOS sections.

I would recommend you populate this revised config.plist with your Serial number etc. This will be easier to do than transferring these edits to your original config.plist.

Try booting with this revised CLOVER folder and let me know what difference it makes.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes you did have some things right, that list wasn’t as long as some I have written.

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Some progress!

1. It boots. Significantly faster
2. I still have HDMI audio, yay!
3. It restarts a lot more quickly.

However, sleep is still a problem. If i goto the apple menu and tell it to sleep, it seems to sleep, shows a LOT of disk activity, but I cannot wake it back up again. Intermittent disk activity just persists. It doesn't seem to ever restart on its own either. I ultimately have to do a reset.

FWIW, right now in energy saver, the only thing I have checked is "prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off".

I noticed that in teh drivers/UEFI folder all the files seem to have been duplicated. that can't be intentional, right? IE: ApfsDriverLoader.efi and ApfsDriverLoader 2.efi ??

I see SSDT-UIAC.aml is still there? I thought you got rid of it? Also, what is SSDT-USBX.aml?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No leaving the duplicate drivers wasn't intentional. I thought I had deleted them, plus the drivers you don't need.

SSDT-USBX.aml confirms the USB power settings for macOS. Since Skylake systems were released USB power has been managed differently. Whereas the previous versions of OSX included a SMBIOS power setting, the newer versions don't.

There are two ways to confirm the USB power settings. within the SSDT-UIAC.aml and via the separate SSDT-USBX.aml.

I thought I had deleted the SSDT-UIAC.aml from your ACPI/patched folder, so added the SSDT-USBX.aml.

I posted the wrong CLOVER folder. I have gone through the folder and removed the parts that shouldn't be in the CLOVER folder, see folder attached below. Your need to populate your Serial Number etc. in the config/or replace the one in the folder below with the one you edited last time. I haven't changed the config.plist, just corrected the contents of the CLOVER sub-folders.

Sorry for this.

I will have a look the Sleep/shutdown/restart issues shortly.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You need to look at your Power and Sleep/Hibernation settings:

This is a screenshot showing the SystemPreferences > Energy Saver pane:

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 15.11.13.png

As you can see I have two of the four options selected.

This is a screenshot showing the Hackintool > Power Tab from my system following a recent clean installation using OpenCore:

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 15.12.04.png

I use the hibernatemode=0

However, there are two settings wrong in the image above:
  • autopoweroff=1
  • standby=1
Both should be 0.

I use these Terminal Commands to set my Sleep/Hibernation settings:

Copy and paste the following command to see which settings your system is using:

sudo pmset -g
Terminal will ask you to provide your system password.

To Disable Hibernation use these commands:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

To Disable other hibernation options
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
Change these settings and see if that helps.

If the Hibernation mode is not working you can try setting it to '3', '25' or some people use '29'

This is the Hackintosh > Power tab after applying the Terminal commands above.

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 15.25.18.png

Autopoweroff and standby are now set correctly for my system.

See if the same settings work for your system.

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Put in the new clover folder
boots great, still working on sleep
I have energy saver control panel setup same as yours

here is my hackintool view:

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 2.29.20 PM.png

I started with hibernate mode=0. no good. it would go to sleep, but I could not wake it up at all
hibernatemode 3. sleeps. then, every few minutes it will show the login screen again, then sleep the display again. weird. It also doesn't wake to a keystroke or moving the mouse. but, if i wait for that login window to come up, I can login from there.

Tried mode 25. with that mode, it sleeps, but cannot be woken up. the login window does not come up intermittently that mode, however.

doesn't like 29, terminal gives me this:
Usage: pmset <options>
See pmset(1) for details: 'man pmset'

So, i've gone back to mode 0.

Could my use of FV2 affect sleep in any way?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you use the new CLOVER folder the USB SSDT-UIAC.aml has been removed (definitely removed it this time!).

So it should be injecting/activating all your USB ports enabled/active as the raise USB port limit patches for Catalina have been enabled in the revised config.plist. The way to see if this is the case is to open IORegistryExplorer and search for XHC.

If you don't already have IORegistryExplorer installed you can download a copy of the app from this link - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

IORegistryExplorer will display all the XHC USB ports configured on your system. It should display ports HS01-HS14 inclusive (USB2 ports from the USB2 header port, plus the USB2 sides of the USB3 ports) and the 9 USB3 ports named SS01-SS08 inclusive, the Type-C port might be named differently as USR1 or something similar.

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 23.22.52.png IORegistryExplorer with 'XHC' search parameter on my iMac1 system

Using the Hackintool USB tab can also show which ports are enabled.

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 23.23.17.png Hackintool showing the same XHC USB ports but with more detail for each port.

These screenshots show that to keep within the 15 port limit set by Apple for each USB controller I dropped these five ports HS04, HS11, HS13, HS14 and SS04.

You will see in the Hackintool screenshot that the USB ports are all defined by connector type, most being USB3 as the USB2 sides of the USB3 physical ports need to be identified as USB3 to work correctly.

You will also see I have a few identified as 'Reserved' this could just as easily say 'Internal' or 'Header' as these are the USB2 and USB3 header ports on my motherboard. My motherboard has 2x USB2 headers. The four ports connected to these headers are USB2 and all named as the 'Reserved' connector type. I also have 1x USB3 header, this has 2x USB2 virtual ports and 2x USB3 physical ports, all of which are identified as USB3 ports.

You will need to re-create an SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system. Following this guide by UtterDisbelief would be a good way to move on this - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Until you get the new SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system in use the sleep/hibernate issues are likely to continue.

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
confirmed, no USB SSDT-UIAC in patched right now, but this is what ioreg shows:
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 3.53.33 PM.png

so, looks like most of my ports are activated as usb3, and seems that that would be a good explanation for it ignoring my keyboard and mouse.

working on the SSDT now