Help me Hackintoshers, you are my only hope!

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Ok, I made myself a new ssdt using that guide, but its behaving strangely.

I disabled the port limit patches. Left USBinjectall

But, when I go back into Hackintool after reboot, a crap ton of ports still show up.

You can see the comments on the right column in teh screenshot, the ones with comments are the ONLY ones I meant to keep and the only ones exported with hackintool to the UIAC (which is of course in acpi/patched folder now.

ioreg shows the same now as it did in the screenshot from my last post. Why is the dumb thing still seeing all these unwanted ports? Clearly, I did something incorrectly, but I've opened up the UIAC.aml and it looks correct to me. Its as if its not loading at all.
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 4.49.35 PM.png

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your system is activating the first 15 ports. That means the USB port limit patches are not being used.

You need to make sure you have the following:
  1. USB XHCI to XHC rename patch in your config.plist
  2. USB port limit patches for macOS version you are running in your config.plist
  3. USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext installed to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

You are running Catalina 10.15.5 as stated in the first post, yes?

Just in case you are running Mojave I have attached a config.plist with both the Mojave and Catalina USB port limit patches included. Only the ones required by the OS will be 'Allowed' when the system boots.

Again Serial Number etc. are not included and need to be provided for the config to work with your system.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try the SSDT-UIAC-0xA2AF.aml attached and see if that works any better.

I created the attached SSDT from Rehabman's SSDT-UIAC-ALL template and based the USB port activation/configuration on the Hackintool image you provided.

I have tweaked it so the connector types for each port are set correctly, i.e. USB2=Zero (0), Internal USB2 Header= 0xFF (255), USB3=0x03 (3) and USB Type-C= 0x0A (10)

I have attached a copy of the SSSDT-UIAC-0xA2AF.dsl as well so you can see what I have done when creating the SSDT for your system.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You need to disable or delete the USB port limit patches in the config.plist, if you are using an SSDT-UIAC.aml, so there is no confusion about which ports are to be enabled by macOS.

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
So, this is what I'm currently running now. Sleep still wasn't working, so I pared down, to see if I could start with something more basic. I went back to using a Clover folder from this same system that worked great for Mojave and changed these things:
  1. I got rid of most of the SSDTs and left only EC and PLUG.
  2. Cleaned up the Drivers folder. I think its similar to your set, but it also includes FV2 drivers
  3. Updated all kexts to latest, changed to the broadcom drivers you suggested. Since USBPorts.kext worked, I got rid of inject all and inactivated the port limit patches.
  4. Config:
    1. Got rid of the drop tables entries, I never understood what they do anyway
    2. DSDT patches are minimal and same as what I had in Mohave. You had several others, but I left them out for now.
    3. Boot. just shikigva and dart. Neverhibernate checked.
    4. Devices, the regular AAPL, ig-platform-id patch
    5. Kernel & Kext. Just has the ext drives, and two AGDP patches. PLP is there, but not active because of version matching.
This has been working for me since last night, including waking from sleep. Startup speed is good, seems to restart normally. Energy settings has "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and "Enable Powernap" checked. Hibernate mode is 0.

Machine slept overnight just fine!

I've put the same config onto a second identical build as well, and that one also is behaving itself.

So, now I want to look at the differences between my very minimal configuration and yours and try to learn what is different about them. The EFI i posted below is the minimal one I built before incorporating some of the changes noted below:

1. ACPI Patches.
    1. HPET. Sounds like this fixes some interrupt issues? I've added it back for testing, works, whatever it does.
    2. USBX. This has something to do with powermanagement of the USB ports? i'd never bothered with this on prior builds. Interestingly, when I add it back, NO SLEEP!
    3. XOSI. I have no idea what this is for, but added it back. No issues.
  2. Drivers.
    1. FV2 drivers, self explanatory
    2. I have AudioDxe. Sounds like this was for a boot chime that doesn't even exist anymore, so I got rid of it. No issues seen so far.
  3. Kexts.
    1. I used USBPorts. But switched to the SSDT you provided, works great!
    2. I have XHCI-300-series-injector vs your XHCI-unsupported. Looks like _unsupported is Rehabman's latest and greatest, so I switched to that. Its like an XCHI kext to rule them all! No issues with it so far.
  4. Config.plist
    1. ACPI. These are the things that confuse the heck out of me.
      1. You have entries for OSI to XOSI, DSM to XDMS, H-EC to EC. SAT0 to SATA, GLAN to GIGE, PPMC to PMCR, Fix 300-series RTC Bug, HPET _CRS to XCRS Rename, RTC IRQ 8 Patch, TIMR IRQ 0 Patch. I can't say that I've seen any of these before. I'm going to incorporate them one by one and see what happens, but I'd love to know what they are supposed to address.
      2. I have change EC0 to EC, XHC1 to XHC, but you do not.
    2. Boot. You used darkwake=10, i don't have a darkwake entry at all, so I just left it
    3. Kernel and Kext. You checked of "AppleIntelCPUPM" and "KernelPM". I'm not familiar with those 2.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your system doesn't use the EC0 to EC rename patch, as the device name in your system is H_EC, not EC0. Hence the change required to the rename H_EC to EC patch.

The rename patches match device names so Apple's OS gets to see what it expects to see, some are purely cosmetic, others are required for full/better functionality:
  • The SAT0 to SATA, renames the Serial ATA ports.
  • The GLAN to GIGE renames the 1st Ethernet device.
  • The PPMC to PPMR renames a device so Catalina will boot
  • The Fix 300-series patch is something developed for all 300-Series motherboards, it fixes a kernel panic on these boards.
  • The _OSI to XOSI rename patch and SSDT-XOSI.aml work together to help macOS better understand the type of system it is running on.
  • The _DSM to XDSM rename patch helps to avoid a number of issues with unwanted elements in the DSDT and unpatched SSDT's.
  • SSDT-HPET.aml needs the three additional rename patches contained in the config.plist below. It doesn't work without them. The patches are HPET _CRS to XCRS Rename, RTC IRQ 8 Patch, TIMR IRQ 0 Patch.
If the SSDT-USBX.aml is preventing sleep then it probably is not set correctly for your USB device. Having just checked your DSDT.aml again. I can confirm the the device needs to be named PCI0.LPCB.H_EC in the SSDT to work with your system.

I have attached a revised SSDT-EC-USBX-Mille1j.aml containing this device name for you to try, see if that works any better.

Attachments

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
This is pretty good!
I incorporated those changes and have attached my clover folder.

Sleep/Wake seems to be working now.

The ONLY thing I'm seeing that is weird is that the system seems to have REM cycles like a human! The Corsair liquid cooler that I have will cycle briefly during sleep at pretty regular intervals. I bet that it is because the USB header that it is connected to is part of the SSDT. As a temporary solution, i'm just going to unplug its USB header. If that eliminated the issue, then I think the long term solution is to remove that port from the SSDT.

Looking good though now!

Attachments

Last edited:

mille1j

Mobo
GA Z370n-wifi
CPU
Unplugging the USB header for the corsair helps, but it still is intermittently active. Weird.

So, my plan of attack:
1. Remove that internal USB port from the SSDT to that the fan can remain plugged in to USB
2. More importantly, determine if sleep is actually being interrupted. I can't remember off hand, but I know that there are some terminal commands that you can use to pull up logs that will show anything that is interrupting or affecting sleep.

Otherwise, it looks to me like this setup is working!

couple of loose ends/other questions:
-Kernel and Kext. You checked of "AppleIntelCPUPM" and "KernelPM". I'm not familiar with those 2.
-I'm still working without a darkwake boot flag. If its working, any good reason to try adding one?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
KextToPatch Kernel fixes, are used to add CPU and Kernel power management fixes. You can try running with these fixes disabled to see if that impacts your system performanc.

The darkwake=10 boot argument should be used with all Gigabyte motherboard, shown from use on mine and many other users systems to help with wake from sleep issues.

Glad to hear you are getting closer to the finished article with your system.

Thanks for the donation, it is really appreciated.