GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX590 8gb
Hello,
I have a hackintosh running for 8 months with this configuration:
- Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
- I7 8700K
- Sapphire Nitro + RX590 8gb
- WD Black SN750 Nvme with OSx Mojave.
- Crucial MX500 ssd with a copy of the system and EFI folder (backup), for files.

The hackintosh has worked perfectly during these months. I have not updated the system.
A few days ago, when turned on, just after choosing the nvme disc in the clover menu, the apple logo appears and just after a prohibition symbol appears on the screen. I've tried rebooting several times, but nothing...

If I boot from Crucial ssd, which has a copy of the system (cloned) and the EFI folder, the system boots perfectly, without any symbols or problems.
I have tried to copy the EFI folder from the Crucial ssd to the NVME disk, but it also does not start, and the prohibition symbol still appears.
Besides, when I boot from Crucial ssd, I can see the nvme disk and access the files and applications without any problem, so it seems that the nvme disk works but does not boot...

What can I do? If it is not a problem in the EFI folder, what can it be?
Thank you very much!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
This is unlikely to be a CLOVER or EFI issue. Especially if you can boot into the Cloned drive with the same CLOVER folder.

It is more likely to be a Kernel Cache issue, where one or more kexts have been incorrectly installed and the kernel cache is borked.

What does it show when you boot in Verbose mode?

To fix this I would try booting in to your NVME drive in SAFE MODE. Safe Mode is where macOS only loads the essential kexts, doesn't use the kernel cache, so no third-party kexts will be loaded. Your system may not run with it's usuall swagger, this is to be expected. You will not be using Safe Mode for long.

To access the Clover boot options and select Safe Mode, do the following:
  1. Boot to the Clover boot screen.
  2. With the NVME drive highlighted press the SPACEBAR.
  3. A menu of boot options should appear, down arrow till you reach the Safe Mode option -x
  4. Select it with your Spacebar, so a tick appears in the box.
  5. Up arrow to the top menu item, select it with the Spacebar and your system will begin booting in Safe Mode.
This should enable you to get to the desktop of your NVME drive. While in Safe Mode use Hackintool or the Terminal Commands to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache for your drive.

Reboot and you should be able to boot in to your NVME drive as normal.

These are the Terminal Commands you need, if Hackintool is not available.

Repair permissions in /S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) and /L/E (Library/Extensions) folders

Type each of the following commands (separately) in Terminal:
  • sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
  • sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
  • sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
  • sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
Rebuild Kext Cache
Type the following command in the Terminal:
  • sudo kextcache -i /
Restart your computer for the repairs to take effect.

Easiest way to get these commands right when entering them in to Terminal is to copy and paste each line from this message, one at a time and press enter after pasting the line of text to activate it.

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
CPU
I7 8700K
GPU
Hello,
I've tried to access in Safe Mode, but just after the apple logo appears, again the prohibition symbol on the screen... I can't acces in Safe Mode.
This is what it show if I boot in Verbose mode:

ac37f4d7-e853-418d-abd3-a71ddc760e4f.jpg

I've also tried to copy the S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) and L/E (Library/Extensions) folders
of the Crucial ssd to the NVME disk, but it does not boot, and the same symbol on the screen...

Any idea of what can I try? Maybe I can clone the Crucial ssd to the NVME?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would try the following, before cloning the drive.
  1. Boot into the Clone drive.
  2. Get hold of a spare USB pen drive, any size.
  3. Format it to HFS+ with Disk Utility, name it what ever you like 'Clover' being the obvious name.
  4. Install Clover for UEFI booting only and in the ESP. Do not worry about any other selections / customisations.
  5. Clover should now be innstalled in UEFI mode to the EFI partition of the USB pen drive.
  6. Copy the CLOVER folder that booted the CLONE drive to the EFI folder of the USB, replacing the one that was just created by the installtion of Clover in point 4.
  7. Use this pen drive to boot your system, select your main drive when you reach the boot Screen.
While you are booted in to the Clone drive, you should also try the following:
  1. Download Kext Wizard, copy attached.
  2. Open Kext Wizard and on the Maintenance Tab tick System/Library/Extensions - Repair Permissions and Rebuild cache should both be selected automatically.
  3. Select your main boot drive as the 'Target Drive' and then select Execute.
Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 00.27.17.png Select Target Drive

Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 00.22.28.png Execute

See if that makes a difference to the boot process for your main drive.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
CPU
I7 8700K
GPU
Solved! The nvme boots perfect!
Thank you very much for the advice!

Latest posts