Mobo
GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P
CPU
I5 8600k
GPU
None iGPU in use
Hi All -
keep getting the following every 1-2 days

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f93ecbba3): nvme: " NVMe: Command timed-out and request found in the completion queue \n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-356.70.5/IONVMeController.cpp:5184

Build is
HS 10.13.6 (17G65) - built using the original HS guide on this site (which is brilliant)
Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
Intel i5-8600k Coffee Lake
Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3200Mhz DDR4 8Gb x 2
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Radeon RX 560 4096 MB
Cooler Master Silencio 452

Have looked at tonymacx86 - but I glazed over at a couple threads there about patching DSDT's and SSDT's - one of which is 316 pages in length and has comments in languages such as cobal fortran pretty sure there's machine code in there too.

I am certain its the NVMe a) due to the kernel panic detailed above and b) does not happen from SSD !
But I cannot find a simple answer anywhere on what to do to rectify - this problem has been there since this hack was created, but it's gotten worse over the past 2-3 months, the machine is lightening quick

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Are you sure you don't have a duff drive. Have you tested/formatted it under Windows?

Most NVME drives work out of the box with macOS since High Sierra. Other than a few Plexor and other low end drives, which still require a patch or two.

I know Rehabman's NVME Hack is no longer required, so I don't know what to suggest.

terryha

macOS
Mobo
GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P
CPU
I5 8600k
GPU
None iGPU in use
Are you sure you don't have a duff drive. Have you tested/formatted it under Windows?

Most NVME drives work out of the box with macOS since High Sierra. Other than a few Plexor and other low end drives, which still require a patch or two.

I know Rehabman's NVME Hack is no longer required, so I don't know what to suggest.
Thanks for replying. I am pretty certain that the drive is fine as I have run exhaustive read write tests to it, so I am highly confused about this.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Any replies to your post over at Tonymacx86?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Is it too late to return it to the sales point for a like-for-like replacement?

That is the first thing I would look in to, before buying another. See what type and length of warranty your NVME came with.

Have you tried a fresh installation of Mojave or Catalina? The drivers in the newer versions may work better with your NVME.

You already have a working CLOVER folder, so that is the hard part done for creating the USB instalaltion drive.

Mojave may be an easier installation, Catalina is in my opinion still in its Beta phase and has too many issues for general use. So Mojave is the OS I would look to install in the first instance. You would need to format the NVME as APFS, as Mojave doesn't give you the option to use HFS+ formatting. You could also try a fresh install of High Sierra, but that may just leave you in the same position you currently find yourself.

I would recommend removing any other drives/unplugging them at least, while running the new installation, so as to minimise any issues.

You can still download Mojave 10.14.6 from the App Store, I am downloading a copy right now, which I will save to my Mac server. Just use the Search funtion in App Store and it should provide a direct link to download Mojave.

Best of luck.

terryha

macOS
Mobo
GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P
CPU
I5 8600k
GPU
None iGPU in use
Is it too late to return it to the sales point for a like-for-like replacement?

That is the first thing I would look in to, before buying another. See what type and length of warranty your NVME came with.

Have you tried a fresh installation of Mojave or Catalina? The drivers in the newer versions may work better with your NVME.

You already have a working CLOVER folder, so that is the hard part done for creating the USB instalaltion drive.

Mojave may be an easier installation, Catalina is in my opinion still in its Beta phase and has too many issues for general use. So Mojave is the OS I would look to install in the first instance. You would need to format the NVME as APFS, as Mojave doesn't give you the option to use HFS+ formatting. You could also try a fresh install of High Sierra, but that may just leave you in the same position you currently find yourself.

I would recommend removing any other drives/unplugging them at least, while running the new installation, so as to minimise any issues.

You can still download Mojave 10.14.6 from the App Store, I am downloading a copy right now, which I will save to my Mac server. Just use the Search funtion in App Store and it should provide a direct link to download Mojave.

Best of luck.
I will test Mojave first - as mentioned this is more random than a straight hardware fault - all that said I note that the HP ex920 works with OSX - so if all else fails I will buy one of those or the earlier ex900 a bit slower than the 920 - thanks for all the ideas though and FYI no reply on tonymacx86