I am trying to hackintosh an Acer Swift 1 - Is this possible and where can I start?

Mobo
Acer Swift 1 2021 (what ever motherboard that may be called)
CPU
Intel Pentium n6000 Jasper Lake Series
GPU
Intel Integrated graphics 650
Hello,

I recently purchased an Acer Swift 1 Laptop due to the ok features for the price point. I used to hackintosh a lot of old desktops and wondered if it would be possible with this. I really love this machine and think MacOS would make it 10x better. I am looking for a version between High Sierra and Monterey. The specifications are listed here:

> Intel Pentium Silver n600

> 4GB DDR4 SDRAM

> 1080p Screen

>128GB WD SSD

> Fingerprint sensor

- I would really like to know if this is possible and where to find the resources if so. I am aware that Apple has not realized a computer with an Intel Pentium so was wondering if there was a made Kext that could support this or a serial number that could trick MacOS into thinking my machine is an i7 or something. Again would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction with this.

Thanks hope to hear from you,

Daniel

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
  1. Apple do not use Pentium CPU's in any of their systems. So your CPU is not natively supported, which could put the kibosh on your plans to Hack this system.
  2. You may be able to install Mojave or Catalina using a Fake CPU ID, with a bit of work configuring the config.plist and OC folder on your part.
  3. The Amber Lake i5-8210Y might be a good match to your CPU. The Amber Lake i5 was used in a MacBook Air 8,1.
  4. The IGPU in the N6000 CPU is the UHD 615, not the UHD 650.
  5. The device ID for the UHD 615 IGPU is 0x4E71, again not a natively supported device, so a fake ID would also be required for the IGPU.
  6. The UHD617 device ID 0x87C0 from the MacBook Air 8,1 might work.
  7. SSD should be fine, but given the size of the drive you won't be installing two OS's and dual booting Windows and macOS from a single drive.
  8. Fingerprint Sensor will not work, as there are no third party drivers/kexts for this type of device in macOS.
  9. WiFi is probably using an Intel chip, so you would need to use OpenIntelWireless. This is an open source Intel Wireless project for macOS, assuming WiFi the Card is supported.
So based on the above I would recommend you try creating a USB installer for macOS Mojave or Catalina using OpenCore. Use the Kaby Lake (KBL) Laptop guide linked below as a base and change things around to suit your Jasper Lake system.

OpenCore prerequisites - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/prerequisites.html

KBL & AML laptop guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-laptop.plist/kaby-lake.html#starting-point

If you don't have a real Mac or another Hack to download macOS you will need to follow this guide for creating a macOS installer on Windows - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/winblows-install.html

Best of luck

Mobo
CPU
GPU
Dude, Can I just say you genuinely the nicest most helpful person I have ever encountered on a Hackintosh forum. I asked over on tonymacx86 and people just made rude comments and laughed. I really respect your forum and will stick around for a long time. You are actually helpful and respectful and give detailed information for beginners. I have never done this before so I am super nervous. God Bless. Have a good day.

Mobo
CPU
GPU
I think I got a little something up my sleeve for the fingerprint. Thanks for you help you have seriously been amazing. Hopefully the next time I post it will be on this exact same laptop just with Catalina on it :)

Mobo
CPU
GPU
I do have a quick question about performance tho. As this CPU is really quite awful what would I expect it to be like fast? Or reasonably fast with some applications loading slowley - Or would it be absolute rubbish to the point where doing this to my laptop just makes no sense at all? Thanks, Daniel

Mobo
CPU
GPU
Sorry, one last thing I have been thinking - I have concerns about the keyboard, webcam, trackpad, and microphone. Do these work by default as I am basing this laptop from a Macbook Air or would I have to find out everything about this laptop down to the last bit and make custom drivers for it or like windows does apple auto install drivers for these things?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No nothing in your Acer laptop will work by default. You will need to find out which kexts are required based on the devices/components present in the system.

Usually this means using these kexts for a laptop:
  • Lilu.kext - Essential helper kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext - Essential SMC kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext - graphics
  • AppleALC.kext - sound
  • ECEnabler.kext - laptop specific kext
  • NoTouchID.kext - disable touch
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext, or ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext - Keyboard/mouse
  • USBInjectAll.kext - Intel USB ports
  • XHCI-Unsupported - USB ports
You might also require these kexts:
  • Itwlm.kext - Intel WiFi
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext - Intel BT
  • IntelBluetoothInjector.kext - Intel BT
  • SMCBatteryManager.kext - Battery
  • SMCLightSensor.kext - Screen brightness
  • SMCProcessor.kext - Monitoring
  • SMCSuperIO.kext - Monitoring
  • VoodooI2c - series of kexts for keyboard/mouse/touchpad
You will also require some generic SSDT's in order to get macOS booting.These will include but not be restricted to the following:
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml
  • SSDT-PLNF.aml
  • SSDT-XOSI.aml
Yes, your laptop will be slow.

It is using a low powered CPU, so it will be slow whatever OS you use. There is no cut down version of macOS for low powered systems, as Apple don't use Celeron, Atom or other low powered CPU's like Microsoft or Linux. So there are no allowances made for low powered CPU's within macOS.

Trying to run Big Sur or the Monterey beta is probably a waste of your time. You would be best served trying to get High Sierra or Mojave running on your system first. Then look to upgrade to a newer version once you have everything, I do mean everything working correctly.

Mobo
CPU
GPU
Thank you. If I were to run Sierra (Not high) would it be slow still? I have an IMac with a core 2 duo that runs it fun with a core 2 duo.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
It is not a matter of the CPU being slow. It is more along the lines that the CPU is not supported natively and the IGPU is not supported in any fashion.

You can probably find a way to run an older version on your Atom/Bay Trail system, previously this was done using a patched kernel. But you will never have graphics acceleration on the laptop, which will make using macOS problematic. As none of the standard graphics elements will work, it will probably restrict the resolution as it will have to use the basic VESA mode for graphics.

VESA mode is used on a Mac to allow access to fix/troubleshoot issues, so the resolution is usually pretty low.