alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
Yeah, thanks for the help, this forum delivers quality tips, in my opinion.
Also, what do you think about the security updates and the dual boot capabilities.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Dual Booting should not be an issue. Clover will boot macOS, Windows and most, if not all, Linux OS's.

Most of my hacks are dual booting systems, with macOS and Windows 10 on separate SSD's. I just select which OS I want to boot on the Clover boot screen. I usually have macOS set as the default OS to boot, so I don't have to do anything for macOS to boot. I just let the 5 second TimeOut run and macOS boots. If I want Windows i use the keyboard arrows to move along the line of icons on display to the 'Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI' icon, it is named something like that.

Here is a link to a guide, written by Going Bald over at Tonymacx86 that explains the process of dual/multi-booting. The guide is written for Intel systems, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

There are a number of other guides by Going Bald that deal with multi-booting - https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/multi-booting.153/ have a read of these they may help you understand the different options you have for multi-booting.

Mention AMD in a post over at TMx86 and you will be banned! They are intolerant of anything and anyone not using their Tools and running Intel.

Not sure about installing updates from the App Store will work on our AMD systems. I tried an App Store update on my Catalina AMD system and it failed. I will have a look at how High Sierra deals with this aspect later this evening when I have finished the High Sierra install on the AMD FX6300 system.

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
After some trial and errors i've installed win10 on a 2nd hard drive (previously the macOs was installed on the Windows 8.1 driver by a mistake, and i saw that yesterday)
So i plugged the hdd (removed the macOS hdd temporary), created the win flash drive, and win 10 booted. After shutting down the system masOS hdd was plugged back, but i had to change the boot order in the Bios - with EFI OS as primary.
SInce the HighSierra booted successfully i've decided to enter into the clover configurator and i saw 2 separated EFI partitions (1 for win and another 1 for mac), so what you think about that, is it ok to leave it that way?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Do you see an icon for booting Windows on your Clover boot screen? You should see at least two icons on this screen when you boot, one macOS High Sierra and the other the Microsoft EFI boot icon.

The exact number of OS/partition icons that appear will depend on whether you are using any of the Hide Volume names in the GUI section of your config.plist.

just to confirm, the only drive with Clover installed to the EFI partition should be the macOS partition. The windows EFI partition should not have anything added to it.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Post a copy of your Bootlog, this can be obtained from the Tools section in Clover Configurator.

This file contains details of how you system is booting, which drives are connected and is a good place to look if you need to tweak your config.plist settings.

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
Here is a copy.

Also, i've noticed that the windows efi disappeared, and there is nothing in the bios, only uefi os.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
My Clover boot screen looks like this:

screenshot1.png Boot macOS from Mojave icon highlighted

screenshot2.png Boot macOS from Catalina icon highlighted

screenshot3.png Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI icon highlighted (Windows 10)

I have used the following Hide Volume names to clear any redundant/unwanted icons from the boot screen:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 12.08.56.png

The full Clover Configurator screen looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 12.08.48.png GUI screen in Clover Configurator for my main Hack (iMac 1)

For you and anyone else interested in taking screenshots while on the Clover boot screen or within one of the Clover menus, all you need to do is press 'F10'. This will save a png screenshot to the /CLOVER/misc folder on your main drive or USB drive, it will probably take longer to save the screenshot if using a USB drive.

I will have a look at your Bootlog and come back with any suggestions on what names you should use or any other observations I can make to help your system boot process better.

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
Alright, thx, i will await your reply. Regarding the GUI, everything is almost the same for me, except one untick Linux option and inside Hide volumes there is only Preboot and Legacy.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your Bootlog looks Ok, better than I expected for an AMD system. There are the expected time delays, when Clover switches froom one task to another, such as when Clover Initiates the screen - 4.6 seconds delay, GUI Ready - 1 second, Exit from MainMenu 1 - 4.1 seconds. This accounts for approximately 9.7 seconds, the total time for the bootlog to complete is only 11.5 seconds. So other than these three delays the boot process completes reasonably quickly.

The partitions/drives named in your Bootlog are as follows:

UEFI scan:
  • (01) EFI - Hidden
  • (02) High Seirra - not hidden, macOS boot partition
  • (03) Recovery HD - not hidden
  • (04) 2nd - Not sure what this is!
  • (05) Recovery HD - not hidden (if CCC Clone drive, then think of renaming to prevent confusion with macOS Recovery drive)
  • (07) Recovery - Microsoft Recovery partition
  • (08) EFI - Hidden
  • (10) ' ' - legacy partition windows
Legacy scan:
  • 7: Recovery - Likely to be same partition shown above as (07) Recovery
  • 8: Boot Windows from EFI - likley to be partition shown above as (08) EFI
  • 10: ' ' - Legacy Windows partition non bootable partition
I personally would add the following Hide Volume names to your config.plist:
  1. \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
  2. Recovery
  3. Windows
  4. 2nd
The Windows name will only hide the Windows Data partion not the System partition, which you need to select when booting to the Windows OS.

Rename the CCC drive to 'HS_Clone' or something similar, so it is not identified and hidden by the 'Recovery' name.

See which icons appear on your Clover boot screen when you add these names, if something is hidden that you want shown, remove the name from the list. If the name is not quite correct, amend it to suit.

The only other item I noticed in your Bootlog is the SSDT-XOSI.aml is successfully loaded, but there is no corresponding ACPI rename patch loaded from the config.plist.

The _OSI to XOSI rename patch is available from the drop down list in Clover Configurator,

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 12.54.22.png _OSI to XOSI rename patch in Clover Configurator

To be honest I am not sure if the SSDT-XOSI.aml is required on an AMD system or if it works the same as it does on an Intel system. Adding the rename patch shouldn't hurt and it can be disabled from the Clover boot screen if it does cause an issue.

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
Alright, i've added EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
and Windows in the hide volume.
2nd is my second partition which was supposed to work as a backup drive, but TIme Machine and CCC are not working there for some reason, so i had to get a 32GB FlashDrive to backup 1 CCC.

Aso, i can't find an option where to rename the second recovery driver to CCC recovery.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If the CCC recovery partition is a normal macOS recovery partition, which you created as part of the CCC cloning process, not the Clone of your macOS drive then you can't rename it.

You can only rename the partiton if it is one that can be mounted in macOS or in Windows for a Windows partition, such as your main Windows partition containing your apps, documents and Windows folders etc. The System on a Windows drive can not be renamed, nor can any of the other newer partitions that Windows might create as part of a GUID installation.

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
Here is a photo on Ubuntu from the windows hdd, i think i need to add these entries to avoid any issues after win update:

# add Clover entry
sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Clover UEFI" -l "\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI"

# change order (if needed)
sudo efibootmgr -o 4

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think that was the windows EFI - sdc1 (529 MB) which is now empty, only recovery folders.

During boot from clover to win i see only one windows icon and nothing loads up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Don't worry about the Linux or Window partition map. The majority of those partitions will not normally be visible on the Clover boot screen.

You can only boot Windows from a single icon on the boot screen, you can press the spacebar while highlighting any of the icons to find out the name used by Clover, you can then make sure to include the name in the config, to hide the unwanted partitons.

The Clover Configurator screenshot, looks Ok, those are four of the five Hide Volume names I use on all of my systems. The Other being Recovery. I don't show the macOS or Windows 10 Recover partitions, as I don't use that feature of either OS and don't need the two icons on the boot screen.

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
Well ok, but how to boot to windows, nthing happens when clicking the win logo.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You may have hidden the wrong icon on your Boot screen.

What is the name of the partition the Windows icon on your Clover boot screen links to?

alexxk

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B450M-A
CPU
Amd Ryzen 5 - 1600
GPU
GTX 1050 TI OC
System was stable for a day after some researching at google, then i've decided to go for more and plugged Ubuntu FlashDrive installer and installed Ubuntu to SSD drive, and this time i was following this guide here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

Currently on every boot to Clover i got that message : System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
Creating boot entry Boot0000 with Label "ubuntu for files \EFI\Ubuntu\Shimx64.efi

It looks like the boot order has been changed.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Ubuntu boot loader may have taken precedence over the Clover bootloader in your bios.

Check that the macOS drive is still the first/priority drive in your bios.

You may need to boot from your USB pen drive and reinstall Clover once you get back to macOS.

Latest posts