In memory panic stackshot succeeded (Lenovo Z510)

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
Intel HD Graphics 4600/Nvidia GT 740M
Hello. There is a problem installing macOS Catalina (and Big Sur too) on my Lenovo Z510 laptop.
CPU - Core i3-4000m
Ram - 6GB
iGPU - HD4600
Nvidia GT740M discrete (disabled in BIOS, because I still did not understand if it can be working on MacOS)
The problem is as follows. Collected from scratch according to the OpenCore manual for Haswell laptop.
Laptop Haswell | OpenCore Install Guide
After booting from the boot menu, it always gets stuck on an "in memory panic stackshot succeeded" bytes traced # error. And so for a whole week. Through Clover, exactly same problem. The numbers sometimes change. BIOS last. Settings photo attached.
On Tonymac nobody can help me. Problem in installation MacOS BigSur on Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 | tonymacx86.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The reason you can't use the Nvidia dGPU is because your laptop uses 'Switchable' graphics. Where the graphics card used is decided by the OS (Windows or Linux). Apple's macOS doesn't support 'Switchable' graphics. It never has and never will. So you need to disable the dGPU and only use the IGPU. For for all graphics related processes when running macOS on your laptop.

I assume you know that the Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 WiFi/BT card in your laptop will not work in macOS, and that it needs to be replaced with a macOS compatible WiFi/BT card.

The Bios screenshots look fine.

The Verbose text screen doesn't show the reason for the kernel panic (KP), it only shows the final few lines of text, the reason for the KP is listed before this end screen. Because the last few lines mention "in memory panic stackshot succeeded bytes traced # error" doesn't mean that is the reason for the KP. That is a common line of text when a kernel panic occurs, and I suppose it would/might be relevant to the owner of a real Mac.

You need to take a Video of the verbose text to show what is causing the kernel panic.

I have attached a revised Haswell Laptop OC folder for you to try. It has been based on a Broadwell Laptop setup I created recently. Obviously edited to suit your Haswell system.

See if this gets you any further when booting macOS.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
The reason you can't use the Nvidia dGPU is because your laptop uses 'Switchable' graphics. Where the graphics card used is decided by the OS (Windows or Linux). Apple's macOS doesn't support 'Switchable' graphics. It never has and never will. So you need to disable the dGPU and only use the IGPU. For for all graphics related processes when running macOS on your laptop.

I assume you know that the Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 WiFi/BT card in your laptop will not work in macOS, and that it needs to be replaced with a macOS compatible WiFi/BT card.

The Bios screenshots look fine.

The Verbose text screen doesn't show the reason for the kernel panic (KP), it only shows the final few lines of text, the reason for the KP is listed before this end screen. Because the last few lines mention "in memory panic stackshot succeeded bytes traced # error" doesn't mean that is the reason for the KP. That is a common line of text when a kernel panic occurs, and I suppose it would/might be relevant to the owner of a real Mac.

You need to take a Video of the verbose text to show what is causing the kernel panic.

I have attached a revised Haswell Laptop OC folder for you to try. It has been based on a Broadwell Laptop setup I created recently. Obviously edited to suit your Haswell system.

See if this gets you any further when booting macOS.

I deleted my OC folder. And put your corrected one. Here's what I got. Sorry for my bad english I'm from Belarus. Wi-Fi - Intel Wireless-N 7260. I also took it out of the laptop. Nothing changes
Video -
View: https://youtu.be/E22I7Z0vyZ8

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your English is fine. But the video isn't showing the verbose text from the OC folder I provided.

I know this because there are a couple of boot arguments missing, which I had added to the config.plist. As these aren't present in the video it leads me to believe you used a different OC folder to boot the laptop.

Also I set it to use the OC GUI, i.e. a graphical boot screen, not the picker list.

Make sure you are booting with the correct OC folder, and from the correct EFI folder. As that looked suspiciously like your original OC folder's verbose KP.

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
Your English is fine. But the video isn't showing the verbose text from the OC folder I provided.

I know this because there are a couple of boot arguments missing, which I had added to the config.plist. As these aren't present in the video it leads me to believe you used a different OC folder to boot the laptop.

Also I set it to use the OC GUI, i.e. a graphical boot screen, not the picker list.

Make sure you are booting with the correct OC folder, and from the correct EFI folder. As that looked suspiciously like your original OC folder's verbose KP.
My bad Edhawk. For 3 weeks already trying to install - brain does not work. And the phone is jam-packed with photos and videos with different folders. Here is your folder. Sorry wrong it was too late yesterday. But what I'm sure of for sure is that the graphical boot screen has not appeared. Only the picker list
View: https://youtu.be/DuMa4nUMWrc

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Which version of macOS are you trying to install, Catalina 10.15.3?

Where did you get this installer?

Not sure why the Picker list is displayed, I may have missed a setting in the config.plist. I will check it later this evening.

Can you boot in to the system with a Clover installer? If yes, can you extract the ACPI tables from your laptop so I can see what your system uses.

To extract the ACPI tables using a Clover boot loader you need to do the following:
  1. Boot your system and get to the Clover boot screen.
  2. While on the clover boot screen press the 'F4' or 'Fn+F4' keys.
  3. This will extract the ACPI tables to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the Clover usb.
  4. There are no signs that anything is happening when you press the F4 key, so just wait 30-60 seconds before shutting down or restarting the laptop.
Compress and attach a copy of the origin folder so I can see what tables your system uses and the devices used in your laptop.

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
Which version of macOS are you trying to install, Catalina 10.15.3?

Where did you get this installer?

Not sure why the Picker list is displayed, I may have missed a setting in the config.plist. I will check it later this evening.

Can you boot in to the system with a Clover installer? If yes, can you extract the ACPI tables from your laptop so I can see what your system uses.

To extract the ACPI tables using a Clover boot loader you need to do the following:
  1. Boot your system and get to the Clover boot screen.
  2. While on the clover boot screen press the 'F4' or 'Fn+F4' keys.
  3. This will extract the ACPI tables to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the Clover usb.
  4. There are no signs that anything is happening when you press the F4 key, so just wait 30-60 seconds before shutting down or restarting the laptop.
Compress and attach a copy of the origin folder so I can see what tables your system uses and the devices used in your laptop.

Hello. Yes Catalina 10.15.3. I downloaded the recovery image using
gibMacOS, he also prepared a flash drive. I also used the tutorial on GitHub to create and configure OpenCore for Haswell.
I have tried all versions of Catalina and Big Sur available for installation. Nothing changes.
Yes I can boot through Clover and dump the required ACPI data. But will the config.plist you edited fit into another bootloader? I just do not know how to create config for Clover.
UPD: I use it GitHub - hgxvtml/Hackintosh-Lenovo-z510: Fully working hackintosh catalina with clover bootloader on lenovo z510 i5-4200 to extract the ACPI tables

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I'll have a look at the DSDT.aml etc and see what I can do with it for you, tomorrow (Wednesday).

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I'm struggling, I can't for some unknown reason disassemble your DSDT.aml, so it can be edited & patched. It is not an issue with your DSDT.aml but rather an issue with the application and add-on used to disassemble the ACPI tables. I have even tried to do this on my real iMac with the same result.

I am also having difficulty finding a suitable battery patch for your Lenovo laptop, which is essential if you are to have a working battery with macOS. Otherwise a battery that would normally provide 5-7 hours usage will run down in around 2 hours, if not quicker.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I sorted out the DSDT.aml issues and have created a DSDT.aml battery patch for your Lenovo Z510 laptop.

This battery patch and the accompanying AC Power patch have both been applied to your DSDT.aml, the patched DSDT.aml is in the /OC/ACPI folder attached below.

I have also created a number of custom SSDT's using your DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. Along with adding the SSDT's and patched DSDT to your OC config.plist, I have added three ACPI patches that should help deal with any IRQ conflicts, which are know to occur on older laptops such as your Haswell unit.

Hopefully these amendments and additions to your OC setup will allow you to boot your system.

You should use the whole OC folder attached, simply replace your current one with this one and boot your system using the new OC folder.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
I sorted out the DSDT.aml issues and have created a DSDT.aml battery patch for your Lenovo Z510 laptop.

This battery patch and the accompanying AC Power patch have both been applied to your DSDT.aml, the patched DSDT.aml is in the /OC/ACPI folder attached below.

I have also created a number of custom SSDT's using your DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. Along with adding the SSDT's and patched DSDT to your OC config.plist, I have added three ACPI patches that should help deal with any IRQ conflicts, which are know to occur on older laptops such as your Haswell unit.

Hopefully these amendments and additions to your OC setup will allow you to boot your system.

You should use the whole OC folder attached, simply replace your current one with this one and boot your system using the new OC folder.
You didn't have to bother with the battery. She already holds for about 3 hours. I put the bootloader folder like you said. Here's what happened. I think I should go dump this laptop from the 9th floor and end up there. To strain you just like that, it's very embarrassing. Apparently not destiny to install MacOS
View: https://youtu.be/rp9NVwD8sLs

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok try using the EFIv2 folder attached below.

Replace your existing EFI folder with this one, not just parts of the EFI folder REPLACE the whole EFI folder.

Post a video of the boot process.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Can you confirm how you created your macOS installer. Because that isn't the icon or name that I expected to see when booting with a macOS Catalina installer.

Can you boot to the OC GUI and select the ClearNvram and then the Reset Nvram options. The second option will make your system reboot. Then can you boot your installer again, see if that helps. If you take another video, can you try to make it a bit sharper, I know not easy!

By the way this EFI has been created using OC 0.6.9, as it seems to be a slightly better version of OpenCore in my opinion.

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
Can you confirm how you created your macOS installer. Because that isn't the icon or name that I expected to see when booting with a macOS Catalina installer.

Can you boot to the OC GUI and select the ClearNvram and then the Reset Nvram options. The second option will make your system reboot. Then can you boot your installer again, see if that helps. If you take another video, can you try to make it a bit sharper, I know not easy!

By the way this EFI has been created using OC 0.6.9, as it seems to be a slightly better version of OpenCore in my opinion.
The first way. Downloaded gibMacOs. Launched gibMacOs.bat and press R (toggle recovery-only). Selected the latest Catalina version and pressed the 7 key (doesn't really matter, I've tried all versions (not updates) like 10.15.7, 10.15.4, 10.15.3 etc). The recovery image was loaded. After the recovery image was loaded, I run MakeInstall.bat and pressed the 2o key (2 - my usb disk. O - use OpenCore instead Clover). After everything was finished, I put the contents of the EFIv2 folder, namely the EFI folder on the partition of my USB disk where the bootloader should be. I just deleted the old empty EFI folder and put the one you said. After that, it was loaded from it, as you can see in the video that I was shooting.
Second way. Making the installer in Windows | OpenCore Install Guide (dortania.github.io) Followed the instructions for creating a bootable USB stick from Windows. Downloaded OpenCore 0.6.9. I unpacked it to my desktop. And then, according to the instructions, I opened cmd, indicated the path cd, and so on. I entered the command and downloaded the image via MacRecovery. Formatted usb disk to FAT32. I created the "сom.apple.recovery.boot" folder on it and put two files there that I downloaded via macrecovery. Next, I put your EFI folder from the EFIv2 archive next to this folder.
I'm not stupid really.
Now I will shoot a video in 4K maximum that my iPhone 8 allows. I will try to make it clearer and sharper because I do not have an expensive camera and a tripod. I really really want to install macOS on my laptop. I like the system very much and will need it for work. There is no big money to buy a Mac. Damn Belarus with her salary of $ 150. Do not think that I am complaining, I just really hope for your help. They already sent me to hell on tonymac.
Youtube eats up quality. I have uploaded the original video https://disk.yandex.by/d/QUeDl9BOZtt_KA
View: https://youtu.be/4Td80tKDi7U

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try this OpenCore EFI v3 folder, it is based on the working OC 0.6.9 folder for my Broadwell HP Laptop, amended to suit your system.

Just so you know, I'm also a Moderator on Tonymac!

If this doesn't work we may need to try booting your system with Clover instead of OpenCore.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
Try this OpenCore EFI v3 folder, it is based on the working OC 0.6.9 folder for my Broadwell HP Laptop, amended to suit your system.

Just so you know, I'm also a Moderator on Tonymac!

If this doesn't work we may need to try booting your system with Clover instead of OpenCore.

I have absolutely nothing against tonymac. All their help consists only in the fact that I would read the manual to the holes and try different versions of macOS. And nothing more. You can forget about any settings and rebuilding the EFI folder on this site

With EFIv3 - also stuck In memory panic stackshot succeeded 4896 bytes traced =(

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, I am going to create a CLOVER setup for your laptop just to see if we get any further as we keep running in to the same wall with OpenCore.

But in the meantime can you try booting with the attached folder, EFIv4.

Attachments

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Lenovo Z510
CPU
Core i3-4000M
GPU
Ok, I am going to create a CLOVER setup for your laptop just to see if we get any further as we keep running in to the same wall with OpenCore.
Okay. Is something required of me?