pgr_home

macOS
Mobo
Dell Optiplex 3020
CPU
i5 4590
GPU
Intel HD Graphics
Hi, I'm new to this and am having difficulty getting my Dell to run Mojave.

To start I have a friends MacBook which is already running Mojave to get the installation from. I have a 16Gb Sandisk Flash disk also.

I have a screen plugged into the display port. The Dell is rocking the latest BIOS which is A20.

To start I have followed the excellent tutorial from What I have done so far and all appears to be ok.

When I boot from the flash drive I get the clover screen coming up and when clicking on the icon to install macOS, I do get the apple logo and the progress bar which starts and then just stops.

I have a sneaky feeling that I have configured the clover loader incorrectly, used those shown on the link above, or I have the wrong kexts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Post a copy of your CLOVER folder so we can see what you are using.

You have a Haswell system, so it will run anything from Mavericks to Catalina beta, if set correctly. The Intel HD4600 IGPU will work well with macOS for general use.

Is your Dell Optiplex 3020 in a Tower or SFF case? What is the exact model number for your system?

pgr_home

macOS
Mobo
Dell Optiplex 3020
CPU
i5 4590
GPU
Intel HD Graphics
Firstly, thanks for the reply.

My Optiplex is referred to as the mini tower version.

The exact model number, I am not sure of, but on entering the service tag on the Dell website I get the following: Dell Model From Service Tag, if that helps.

As for the Clover EFI folder. It is using the downloaded Hackintosher-Mojave-10.14.6-EFI as defined in the "What I have done so far" link above in the section at the end marked as.

"Option 2. Use preconfigured Mojave EFI folder"

As far as Clover is concerned, it was installed, but no extra options have been selected or removed.

Nothing else has been done.

Attached is the folder structure of my flash drive.

PS. May also be BIOS Setting that is wrong

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Post an actual copy of your CLOVER folder. The image tells me nothing.

I have a number of Haswell systems running macOS. I will be able to rectify any issues in your Clover folder.

pgr_home

macOS
Mobo
Dell Optiplex 3020
CPU
i5 4590
GPU
Intel HD Graphics
I am so sorry, please forgive me. I have mounted the clover partition and zipped up the folder called clover folder. Hopefully this is the correct information you need.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to use. It is based on my own i5-4590K system.
  • I have added two SSDT's to /CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
  • I have deleted the numbered OSX folders from /CLOVER/kexts, leaving just the other folder.
  • I have removed a number of unnecessary kexts and added a couple that will be helpful.
  • I have added a Clover theme - Classic Mac OS
  • I have amended your config.plist:
    • Added a number of DSDT/SSDT rename patches.
    • Changed and added some ACPI fixes
    • Deleted a number of unnecessary boot arguments
    • Changed darkwake boot argument from 0 to 10
    • Set Legacy=PBR
    • Set NeverHibernate=true
    • Added Fake ID IntelGFX=0x04128086
    • Added USB options
    • Corrected the Device> Properties for your Intel GFX, as they were set for a Coffee Lake CPU/IGPU when you have a Haswell Refresh CPU.
    • Set the mouse options
    • Set Language=en (English)
    • Set Screen Resolution=1920x1080
    • Set them=Classic Mac OS
    • Added a number of common Hide Volume names, this will clean up your Clover boot screen.
    • Corrected you ig-platform-id so it matches the Haswell HD4600 graphics 0x0d220003
    • Deleted a lot of obsolete USB port limit patches
    • Added Enable Trim for SSD patch
    • Added AppleRTC=true and AppleIntelCPUPM=true
    • Changed SIP to disabled, CsrActiveConfig=0x67
    • Changed MLB to match new Board Serial Number
    • Generated ROM based on iMac 15.1 SMBIOS
    • Generated new SMBIOS for iMac 15.1, as this matches your CPU
    • Checked the new Serial number with EveryMac and Apple Support.
    • Set Inject Kexts=detect instead of Yes.
This CLOVER folder would work in any of my Haswell systems. It should do the same for you. Let us know how you get on. You may still need to tweak the config etc. once you are up and running with macOS Mojave.

You will need to create an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext for your USB ports to work correctly. the USB port Limit patches should only be seen as a temporary fix.

Attachments

pgr_home

macOS
Mobo
Dell Optiplex 3020
CPU
i5 4590
GPU
Intel HD Graphics
I will try it tonight when home from work. Do I just overwite the exisiting clover folder with this one.

pgr_home

macOS
Mobo
Dell Optiplex 3020
CPU
i5 4590
GPU
Intel HD Graphics
That worked wonderfully, I now have it booting into Mojave.

I now have five questions.

1. How do I get the sound working?
2. How do I get the on-board Ethernet working?
3. Only front USB's are working, will check BIOS to make sure they are enabled.
4. Finally, I have to have the USB stick in for it to boot at all
5. Loaded question, what is the best WiFi card/USB stick and/or Bluetooth adaptor?

I know the answer to question 5 is fraught with issues,

From your post above.....

You will need to create an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext for your USB ports to work correctly. the USB port Limit patches should only be seen as a temporary fix

Not sure what that is, or how to go about doing it. Do you have a link that I could look at.

Once again thanks for all your help so far.

pgr_home

macOS
Mobo
Dell Optiplex 3020
CPU
i5 4590
GPU
Intel HD Graphics
OK, my bad.....the Ethernet was not configured in the bios correctly, so I have got that working properly now. This just leaves the sound and getting it to boot with out the usb stick

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Your Bios will not have all these settings but you need to check that any that are present are set as shown in this list:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Intel iGPU:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Setting these bios options correctly will help your Hack run more like a real Mac.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
You have a Realtek Audio codec, I am not sure which one your Dell system uses but your best bet to get this working would be to install tAppleALC. kext and Lilu.kext, both are attached below.

These two kexts need to be installed to either /CLOVER/kexts/Other (straightforward copy and paste).

or

/Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder.

Installing the kexts to /L/E requires you use a kext installer such as Kext Beast (Tonymacx86 tool), which the developers don't want shared on other sites. So you have to go to Tonymacx86, login as a member and download the app. To use Kext Beast the two kexts would need to be saved to the Desktop, so Kext Beast can find them. You do not want any other kexts to be visible on the desktop as they would also be installed to /Library/Extensions folder, if they are in a folder that is fine.

You then need to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache before you reboot, with an app such as Kext Utility, attached below.

You also need to navigate to System Preferences > Sound > Output tab, to make sure your speakers are selected as the Audio output. A copy of the Output tab from my iMac1 system is shown below, with my Dell USB speakers selected.

Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 18.20.31.png System Preferences > Sound > Output Tab

If that doesn't work we will have to look at some other Audio options.

Attachments

abiatar

macOS
Mobo
Hasswell
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570
GPU
Intel HD 4600
Hello!

I am trying my first hackintosh and I have this same exact machine (Dell Optiplex 3020 desktop tower).
My first attempt was following this tutorial and I followed every little step in configuring the config.plist for Haswell. The boot got stuck and I was almost giving up when I found this thread.

I replaced the Clover folder with the one you provided and still no success. The bar bellow the apple logo goes somewhere around 90% and stops moving and eventually the screen goes black and I have to hard reboot.

When I run it in verbose mode this is the last text that shows (attached):

Any clues?

Thank you.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
First: You need to check your bios settings are correct for running maOS. See post No. 10 above for the settings you need to change. With your system being older it is unlikely you will have all of these settings present/visible. Just make sure the ones you can find are set correctly.

Second: Have you created your USB installer in UEFI or Legacy mode?

Third: How did you create your USB installer, Unibeast, CreateInstallMedia, if you used another method which?

The IOConsol... error shown in the image you posted is not an uncommon one. It can be caused by drivers being missing or set incorrectly in the Clover folder or GPU, USB and Bios issues.

abiatar

macOS
Mobo
Hasswell
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570
GPU
Intel HD 4600
Thanks for the quick reply!

First: the only things I can change in the BIOS I already did - Virtualization, serial port, network stack, UEFI, secure boot and wake up on LAN.

Second: I created the USB in UEFI mode.

Third: I don't have access to a Mac computer so I ran a virtual macOS inside Windows. I downloaded Mojave from the apple store and the rest of the method was as described in the tutorial - through the Terminal.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Post a copy of the CLOVER folder you are using and I will have a look at it to see what if anything needs tweaking.

abiatar

macOS
Mobo
Hasswell
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570
GPU
Intel HD 4600
It is the exact same folder you shared in post #6, I just replaced my old one with it and did not change anything.

One thing I just noticed, I don't know if it makes a difference, is that my CPU is an i5-4570 and not a 4590 like the one pgr_home has.

thank you.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Shouldn't make any difference, both are Haswell CPU's and the only Haswell specific settings is the ig-platform-id, which is the same as you both have HD 4600 IGPU's.

I will have another look at the CLOVER folder in post No 6 and see what I have missed or included that is not required

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. I have checked the config.plist settings against a i5-4440 Haswell system, that runs perfectly. About the only thing that is different is I have generated a iMac 14.3 SMBIOS for your Optiplex system.

Use it in place of the other CLOVER folder and let me know how you get on.

It may be worth trying to run this system in Clover Legacy mode rather than UEFI mode.

Attachments

abiatar

macOS
Mobo
Hasswell
CPU
Intel Core i5 4570
GPU
Intel HD 4600
I just had the chance to try it out today.
No luck, same result.

Could not boot it in Legacy though, do I have to reformat the USB drive?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
No, you don't have to reformat the drive. You just need to remove the EFI folder and all its contents from the drive. This will clear CLOVER from the USB.

You need to check that there isn't an EFI folder on the Root of the USB, next to the Install Mojave icon, as well as in the EFI partiton. Delete it from both locations if there are two EFI folders.

Then install CLOVER to the USB. You can then use the CLOVER folder I provided to boot your system.