Is it really worth getting a thunderbolt card?

Mobo
ASUS Z370-E Gaming ROG Strix
CPU
Intel i7 7800k 3.7Ghz
GPU
Asus Strix gaming Radeon RX 580
Just wondering if many people bother getting thunderbolt?

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Depends on what you need it for. If it’s a desktop with room, using internal PCIe slots or other built in ports would be cheaper and usually faster, albeit a bit less flexible.

If it’s a laptop and you want to connect something very high speed or only want one cable to connect to a dock, then it makes some sense.

If you already have a lot of Thunderbolt things or if you need to connect to a large network rack and don’t have 10GbE, then it might be worth it on the desktop too.

Mobo
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K
GPU
Aorus RX570 4G
Thunderbolt peripherals are expensive so I've not bought any to date, and in any case I see little point in buying a Thunderbolt external HDD as the limiting factor in the speed is the spinning disk anyway so it won't be much if any faster than USB3 I don't think. I can update my mobo with a Thunderbolt card in the future when prices come down for peripherals, particularly external SSDs etc.

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
Intel i7-8700K
GPU
Asus Radeon RX 580
I wanted to use Apollo audio interfaces that’s why I got one. But getting Thunderbolt to work was one of the things that took me the longest time on my build.