Is my old notebook compatible with Catalina/Big Sur?

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
NB Toshiba Satellite L850
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
Hi guys, I would like to retransform my old notebook with Catalina or Big Sur. I was on High Sierra, but obviously I would like to ask if it's possible to install Catalina or Big Sur.

These are the specs:
Toshiba Satellite L850 15.6 1366x768
Intel i5 3210M
AMD Radeon HD 7670M
8GB RAM (ddr3 i think)

Thank you.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Ivy Bridge CPU and IGPU were dropped from the supported list when Catalina was released. So the most obvious answer is no, your laptop is not going to run Catalina or Big Sur with a Vanilla installation.

However, this is the world of Hack's and there are many ways to force Catalina possibly Big Sur to work with your Ivy Bridge CPU.

The AMD Radeon HD 7680M will not work with macOS, ever as far as I am aware. The laptop uses switchable graphics, which macOS doesn't support. I have come across this myself, as I have an old Toshiba and it had a similar IGPU and AMD GPU. The normal position when installing macOS is for the AMD GPU to be disabled, and the laptop to use just the Intel Graphics.

There are lots of guides around the internet for similar Toshiba laptop hacks, especially ones as old as yours. These two being specifically for your laptop one with High Sierra the other with Mojave:
Personally I would try installing macOS Mojave and get that running as well as it can, before looking at updating to Catalina or Big Sur. You would have much more joy installing an OS that supports the CPU and IGPU than starting with one that doesn't.

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
Thank you, on High Sierra, 7670M was working, I can find the old Clover Files. I still have High Sierra backups. I would like to link my notebook to my 2 monitors. Is that possible?
Your advice is to install Mojave and then try to update to Catalina, am I right? Thank you

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
I found my clovers files. I also restored backup and High Sierra is working. Should I try to update to Mojave? Is is it possible? Thank you

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If the High Sierra installation is working correctly, with no major issues related to graphics, USB, keyboard/trackpad, battery, WiFi/BT then yes you can upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave. You could even upgrade to Catalina, if it offers that OS for your system.

Some Ivy Bridge systems were supported in Catalina, those with a metal compatible discrete GPU. If you use the MacBook Pro 9,2 SMBIOS you should be able to run Catalina.

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
It was everything working, I downloaded Mojave and installed it, when I reboot system it stucks here. Do i have to do some modification to DSDTs?
Thank you

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No, you probably need to use one of the boot arguments shown in bold below, so your board id is not checked, as the screen image you provided reports an unsupported CPU. The second being the most likely to work for you.

agdpmod=vit9696
  • Disables board-id check, may be needed for when screen turns black after finishing booting
agdpmod=pikera
  • Swaps board-id for board-ix, needed for disabling string comparison which is useful for non-iMac13,2/iMac14,2 SMBIOS
You shouldn't need to change your DSDT.aml unless you have updated your Bios. The devices and settings will be the same if all you have done is update the OS.

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
I tried but I had some problems, the first time it finished, but at boot on clover I had no boot options. So i restored backup and retry, but now it's not working, it boots, but it stucks on grey screen after boot. Do i have to add some kext or .efi file for Mojave? Thank you

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
As I said previously, a working High Sierra Clover folder should work just fine with Mojave, you may need to change the Raise USB port limit patches to the relevant patches for the version of Mojave you are installing. But pretty much everything else should be OK.

You would have to add a number of SSDT's for Catalina and Big Sur to boot.

If there are no boot icons visible on the Clover screen then you need to check that ApfsDriverLoader.efi and HFSPlus.efi are both present in the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder. Assuming you are using a version of Clover newer than r4986.

The first driver loads the relevant APFS driver from the version of macOS you are booting, the second driver works with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drives, i.e. HFS+ drives. These two drivers are essential, without them you will not be able to see any HFS+ or APFS drives.

Do not use a specific apfs.efi driver, as it is easy to use the wrong one and then you would not be able to see any APFS drives on the boot screen.

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
Thank you, that files were missing, is there a way with this gpu to get VGA and HDMI working? Now they are not working. To help i uploaded my clover folder. Thanks, you are very kind.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I will have a look at your CLOVER folder. But I need you to confirm the following:

Which version of the Toshiba L850 do you have, provide the exact model number, as there are numerous versions of this laptop with different components.

Also can you provide a copy of the ACPI tables from the system. These can be obtained by pressing the F4 key while on the Clover boot screen. The tables will be saved, in the background with no evidence they are being saved, to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS drive or USB Drive, whichever you are using to boot the laptop. So when you press the F4 key wait 30 seconds before booting your system to give the bios a chance to copy the tables to the folder.

Alternatively you can install Hackintool App, navigate to the Utilities Tab and select the 'Dump ACPI' icon and the tables will be saved to a folder on your desktop.

The VGA port is unlikely to work in macOS, as Apple don't use these connectors. The HDMI connection should work, but it depends on how Toshiba have connected the HDMI port, i.e. to the AMD GPU or the Intel IGPU. If it is connected via the Intel GPU then it should work.

I have read reports of the AMD GPU working in macOS on a similar laptop, but not seen any real proof this can be done. My expectation would be that the AMD GPU would need to be disabled and you will need to use the Intel IGPU for all the graphics processing.

Igor16

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-3210M
GPU
Radeon HD 7670M
Thank you for help, this is the dump of files. The model is L850-16V. Let me know, thank you.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try this CLOVER folder in place of your current one, see if that gets your laptop booting High Sierra, or Mojave.

Use it on a spare USB Drive where you have installed Clover r5119 or r5120 to the UEFI partition.

Attachments