Administrator
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
To fix macOS not detecting all RAM or a RamDisk error the DIMM slots on a hackintosh need to be set in the Clover EFI.

I've made this guide in response to a number posts in the hackintosh community asking about why macOS doesn't detect all their RAM or why some of their DIMM slots don't boot macOS.

Example 1. ERROR when RAM isn't properly mapped:

I bought a ASUS Z370-G MATX motherboard for a new hackintosh and when I first went to boot I would get the Apple Icon briefly with no loader bar then the computer would restart bringing me back to the clover menu.

Adding the -v boot flag to see what the problem was and this is the output I got:

Hackintosh RAM Not Detected.jpg

Hackintosh -v Output:
root device uuid is ’xxxxxxxx—-'
End InitBootStruct
Start LoadRamDisk
End LoadRamDisk

Start FinalizeBootStruct
Start RandomSeed
End RandomSeed

From this -v output we can see that it stops right at where it's suppose to detect and check off on the RAM which means the problem is RAM related. Now this error only happened with one of the four DIMM slots (Second from the CPU) while the other three booted macOS just fine. I then verified the slot wasn't defective because it would boot every other OS other than macOS, leading me to believe that the RAM needed to be mapped and that ended up being what fixed it.

Example 2. Hackintosh: macOS not detecting ALL RAM

If I use one stick of RAM in one of the other three functioning slots this is what I get in System Report under About This Mac
Hackintosh System Report Memory Slots.png

Now my ASUS Z370-G Motherboards has 4 DIMM slots and yet it's only show showing two slots. This could end up being a problem if I switched to using four sticks of RAM for a 64GB total. It may only show 32GB with it's only two detected slots. A problem like this is common on Intel-X motherboards were there are 8 slots of RAM.

However this can be fixed this along with that other non-functioning RAM slot by simply registering the RAM properly.

Resolve RAMDisk or Half RAM Recognition with Slot Mapping

So here’s how you get around it. The first thing you need to do is get access to macOS either by using a different DIMM slot if you can't boot or by using a virtual machine with macOS installed. So that we can fill out the memory profile in config.plist
  1. Mount EFI partition
  2. Open config.plist with Clover Configurator
  3. Click SMBIOS on the left column of Clover Configurator
  4. Fill out Memory profile:
How to Fill out Memory Section of Clover SMBIOS

For each stick of RAM you will need to add a row using the "+" button and fill out each column:

1. Slot*

Determined by which DIMM slots are populated and starts at 0 not 1.

Here's some examples of how DIMM slots translate into Clover Slot values:
ITX-Clover-Slot-Example.jpg

ATX-Cover-Slot-Example.jpg

E-ATX-Clover-Slot-Example.jpg

Make sure you slot your DIMM's to Intel's recommendation. i.e. If I'm using at ATX motherboard with two slots of RAM I would use Slot 1 + Slot 3.

Intel Memory Mode Specs
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

2. Size* (MB)

Per Stick 2GB, 4GB, 8GB or 16GB in megabytes

1GB = 1024
2GB = 2048
4GB = 4096
8GB 8192
16GB = 16384

3. Frequency* (MHz)

Set frequency to whatever value it is in BIOS. So if you have it overclocked in BIOS you will want to set frequency to the overclocked value.

Set it to the closest value and then once your done filling out each column save and close config.plist and then open it with TextEdit and set the proper value. i.e. I'm restricted to setting my RAM in Clover Configurator to 2600 MHz despite it being 2666, so I finish everything and then open it up with text edit and modify the frequency value manually under Modules:
config.plist Modules Frequency.png

4. Vendor*

Put the Brand of RAM here i.e. Corsair, Kingston, G.Skill

5. Part

Part is the Part Number of the RAM module which you can easily find under the Memory section of System Report or by going to the product page of your RAM on some website. Make sure it's the exact part number as identical looking RAM often have different part numbers. You can also usually find it on the RAM itself or the box it came in.

Filling out part is optional however I like to do it since it's filled out in the Memory section of System Report, might as well match it.

6. Serial

Since it's blank by default in System Report I set the Serial as Unknown for each stick of RAM however you can fill out your own serial number if you want, which will be unique to you.

7. Type*

Should be obvious, in my case it's DDR4

Once your done adding your rows you will need to set the Channels and SlotCount.

Note: If you change the number of Rows above it ill alter SlotCount and the Channels value so I recommend setting them last.

Channels

If you have only one stick of RAM it will be single channel even your motherboard supports dual channel because with one stick you are running in a single channel. If you have two or four sticks of RAM in a motherboard that supports dual channel you will set it at dual channel. Quad Channel is reserved for motherboards like a X99 motherboard with 8 slots of RAM that supports Quad Channel memory. With a Quad Channel motherboard you would only set it to Quad Channel if you were running in a Quad Channel configuration i.e. with 4/8 sticks of RAM. For more information see: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

SlotCount

Set SlotCount to the number of DIMM slots you have on your motherboard, not the amount you have populated. For example if I have 4 DIMM slots and I have 2 sticks of RAM I set SlotCount to 4.

SMBIOS Memory Profile Examples:

Single Channel ATX:

Ex1 1 Dimm ATX Single Channel Hackintosh.jpg

Dual Channel ATX:

Ex2 2 Dimm ATX Dual Channel Hackintosh.jpg

Dual Channel ITX:

Ex3 2 Dimm ITX Dual Channel Hackintosh.jpg

Quad Channel E-ATX:

Ex4 4 Dimm E-ATX Quad Channel Hackintosh.jpg

When done save config.plist and restart the hackintosh.

You can then open up System Report and verify that all DIMM slots in each BANK are now showing.
In
Hackintosh System Report Memory Slots Fixed.png

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630 / Nvidia GT 1030
Hi,

I have the same ITX motherboard in your photo: Gigabyte Z370N WiFi (only 2 memory slots)
I have both slots populated with 8GB memory sticks.
I didn't have any issue with Ram but just wanted to experiment with Clover.

If I setup the slots in Clover as you suggest and show on the screenshot:
- Dual Channel
- 2 Memory Slots
- Slot 0 filled with the proper info and Slot 1 filled with the proper info

What I get is the PC recognises ONLY 1 Stick and 8GB Ram
If I change the Slot naming to 0 and 2 or 1 and 2 THEN I see 16GB Ram but the system info show I have 3 memory slots in total.

So I've gone back to No Ram profile. The system works fine BUT the only WRONG thing is the system SHOWS I have 4 memory Slots instead of 2.

Any suggestion or Idea?
Thanks

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty
CPU
i7700
GPU
Zotac GTX 1060 AMP 6GB
Hi,

I have the same ITX motherboard in your photo: Gigabyte Z370N WiFi (only 2 memory slots)
I have both slots populated with 8GB memory sticks.
I didn't have any issue with Ram but just wanted to experiment with Clover.

If I setup the slots in Clover as you suggest and show on the screenshot:
- Dual Channel
- 2 Memory Slots
- Slot 0 filled with the proper info and Slot 1 filled with the proper info

What I get is the PC recognises ONLY 1 Stick and 8GB Ram
If I change the Slot naming to 0 and 2 or 1 and 2 THEN I see 16GB Ram but the system info show I have 3 memory slots in total.

So I've gone back to No Ram profile. The system works fine BUT the only WRONG thing is the system SHOWS I have 4 memory Slots instead of 2.

Any suggestion or Idea?
Thanks
Same problem here with a Z270 AsRock ITX, the amount of memory is correct but at boot I get

Start LoadRamDisk
End LoadRamDisk

Adding the SMBIOS values I have your same problems, half memory with only one slot recocgnised or 3 slots, with first (zero) empty.

In mobo's manual dimm numbers are A1 and B1

3.jpeg

I got
2.jpeg

changing slot number to 1 and 2
1.jpeg

In bios
IMG_1803.jpg

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630 / Nvidia GT 1030
Hi there,

in my case it was a cosmetic exercise and I never had RAM errors in any hackintosh so I didn't dig into the topic, not thread starter took time to reply.

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty
CPU
i7700
GPU
Zotac GTX 1060 AMP 6GB
Me too... without the SMBIOS everything works good, except for that LoadRamDisk message at boot (and frankly speaking I don't know if this is a problem or not..)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
If your memory DIMM's were detected and identified correctly then you don't need to add the information to your config.plist. You can delete the info from this sub-section, use the '-' minus sign in the bottom left hand corner, below the lines of memory info.

Some boards don't recognise or correctly identify all the memory DIMM's installed, people with this problem need to add their memory DIMM information to get them working.

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty
CPU
i7700
GPU
Zotac GTX 1060 AMP 6GB
Hello Edhawk, my ram is detected correctly, so I removed the ram information I added.
Is LoadRamDisk message at boot an error?

edit: corrections :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
LoadRamDisk message is usually seen when you are booting from a USB installer. It is a container created to hold specific information for the installer.

Can you post a picture of the screen when this message appears, also just get a picture of the screen just before and after the message.

Are you booting with a USB installer plugged in to your system?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
The screen above is normal with High Sierra and APFS driver.

I would remove the verbose mode (-v) boot argument from your config.plist if your system boots OK.

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty
CPU
i7700
GPU
Zotac GTX 1060 AMP 6GB
The message is shown only in verbose, if I remove -v, I have no messages.
I am not an expert so, I tought that having that message at boot was an error and so I added -v to check it ;)

Anyway, I am planning to do a fresh install high sierra because I am getting problem when the pc is not used (it reboots instead of stays on with monitor off) - and I don't know why - but this is OT :)

pieterm

macOS
Mobo
Asus STRIX Z270E GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K
GPU
HD630
Hi,

I've been following this guide https://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-install-full-guide/ when I got stuck on the `EndRandomSeed +++++` part. So I found this thread and followed the instructions, but I'm still stuck. My RAM sticks are in slot 1 and 3, is what I'm seeing the result of this. Should I try to move them to 0 and 2?

Thanks
Regards

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Getting stuck at this point can be caused by a few issues:
  • APFS driver not found - do you have the apfs.efi driver installed to EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI folder or are you using ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and PartitionDxe-64.efi. These drivers should be installed to the drivers64UEFI folder if the apfs.efi driver is not in this folder.

• Memory/RAM not identified correctly - Hackintosher has explained above in post No. 1 how to fill the memory information in to a config.plist, you just need the information to add this to the SMbios/memory section.

pieterm

macOS
Mobo
Asus STRIX Z270E GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K
GPU
HD630
  • APFS driver not found - do you have the apfs.efi driver installed to EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI folder or are you using ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and PartitionDxe-64.efi. These drivers should be installed to the drivers64UEFI folder if the apfs.efi driver is not in this folder.

• Memory/RAM not identified correctly - Hackintosher has explained above in post No. 1 how to fill the memory information in to a config.plist, you just need the information to add this to the SMbios/memory section.
Thank you.
The memory is correctly listed in the config.plist, I filled in as instructed by Hackintosher.
The APFS drivers are installed via `ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and PartitionDxe-64.efi`. I played with some newer / other versions as described here https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/new-efi-driver-for-apfs.389/.

No success ..

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
@ pieterm
Post a copy of your EFI folder and I will have a look to see if anything needs attention.

jaime09111

macOS
Mobo
ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
CPU
GPU
UHD 630
@ pieterm
Post a copy of your EFI folder and I will have a look to see if anything needs attention.
can you please help me??

I'm stuck at the randomseed also,

my specs are:
  • Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
  • Intel 8100 processor
  • KINGSTON SA400S37240G
  • No External Graphic Card
  • 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz A-DATA RAM Memory

I haven't been able to boot to the installer, I´ve tried with the SMBIOS , with aptiofix, and I don't know what else can I do.

I think I already considered this two points you mentioned before...

-----

well, I'm attaching the efi folder, I hope you can find any solution ...thanks in advance

Attachments

Latest posts