macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 570 armor 4G
Hi there.

Trying to build my first hackintosh, I get stuck during loading the Mojave installer at that point.

I patched the latest BIOS 3101 per this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x299-catalina-support.279556/

And placed the SSDT-AWAC file in the ACPI/Patched folder. This got me past SMC errors at least... :) I get past PCI config but stuck at the apfs_module_start.

EFI folder included. Is config.plist a mess? I am new to this, so bear with me...

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try the attached CLOVER folder in place of your current one, see if that gets you any further.

Use the Whole CLOVER folder not just parts of it.

Attachments

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
Hi!

Thanks a lot - that brought me A LITTLE further. Not much, unfortunately. Now it halts on "0, 0 AppleIntelI210: setlinkstatus - not active", just after apfs module start :/

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That shows your Intel Ethernet i210 port is not active, but you probably have a cable attached to the port.

Add the attached IntelMausi.kext to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, that should solve that issue.

You have IntelMausiEthernet.kext in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, which is obviously not activating your Ethernet port, so that kext can be deleted.

Attachments

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
I deleted Intelmausiethernet and installed Intelmausi instead - still the same. And no, I don't have an ethernet cable attached, so sadly that was not it. I also tried disabling both ethernet ports in BIOS. Still doesn't get me further :/

But thanks again for helping!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try removing SSDT-X299-ETH.aml from the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder see if that makes any difference.

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
Sadly no change.

EDIT: Btw this is the NON-10G version of the board that I have! Because I read of pretty massive problems getting the LAN working on the 10G version. I don't know if that could be causing any problems.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Not to my knowledge, if the 10GB Ethernet port is not present on the motherboard, then it shouldn't make any difference to the boot process. The SSDT required for the 10GB port to work is also not present in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Which Bios are you running on your Asus WS x299 Sage motherboard, 0905 or newer?

I assume you have checked the bios settings you are using are correct, according to KPG's guide for your motherboard to run macOS. I have attached a copy of the Bios settings for an Asus X299 board, please check they are all correct.

I have gone through the CLOVER folder again,and checked a number of things against KPG's guide. Try the attached revised CLOVER folder and let me know it changes anything.

Attachments

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
Much newer BIOS here! Newest one, 3101 I believe. Thanks, will try the new Clover from you!:) BIOS settings should be OK, but thanks. I read them and checked them in many places.

Your effort is much appreciated!

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
Updating to the newest Clover (5119) brings me into the MacOS installer without any modifications! So that's a good start. Will get back on progress:)

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
I have the install running. Ethernet and audio and USB working! HW monitoring also working! So far so good... what is everyones method to keeping a backup/clone of the Clover install to be able to test things and not having to do a reinstall if you screw things up? :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would grab hold of a spare USB, anything larger than 500MB, install the latest version of Clover to the USB, matching your installation on the macOS drive. Copy your Clover folder from your macOS drive to the USB after the Clover installation has completed.

Boot from the USB in place of your macOS Drive's Clover installation.

Make any changes to the config.plist and folders on the USB. Keep booting from the USB.

I would use a different Clover boot theme on the USB compared to the macOS drive's boot theme. So you know early on in the boot process whether you are booting from the USB or macOS drive.

Only change the macOS Clover installation once you are happy with the fixes, patches and device/option changes you have made on the USB drive. Have seen how they work and effect the system and are happy to implement them.

I would recommend you create a Clone of your macOS drive, I use Carbon Copy Cloner - https://bombich.com. This app has a 30-day trial and costs around £30.

Use a spare laptop hard drive to create a clone of the macOS drive. Keep the cloned drive save and it can be used in place of your macOS drive to boot and recover the system really quickly, if you kill your macOS drive.

SimonR

macOS
Mobo
ASUS WS X299 Sage
CPU
i9-9940X
GPU
Thanks, that's excellent advice! But if you want to keep booting from the USB while changing things, wouldn't you need the complete MacOS install on it as well? Just since you mentioned 500MB size, as that obviously won't fit the OS:)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No, you can just install CLOVER on the USB. Then either change your Bios so the UEFI partition on the USB Drive is the default boot option, not your main macOS drive's UEFI folder. Alternatively you can press the F8 button when your system boots, this will bring up the Boot menu on an Asus motherboard, from which you can select which drives UEFI partition to use to boot the system, i.e. select the USB's UEFI partition.

Whichever route you take on selecting the UEFI partition on the USB you will be able to select to boot macOS from your normal SSD/NMVe drive. But you will be using the CLOVER folder from the USB Drive, not the one on your macOS Drive.

So you can tweak the CLOVER folder and config.plist on the USB, without changing anything in the macOS drive's CLOVER folder, keeping your system's main Clover folder safe from tampering, until you are sure you want to change things.

Latest posts