Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Hi, I had a working Hackintosh and then borked it in the middle of an important job. Now trying to install fresh.

I tried UniBeast, preconfigured Mojave EFI folder, and farted about with Clover Configurator to no avail.

To be honest I don't know what I'm doing, but here the verbose boot screen. I have tried using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.

Any help gratefully received

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That UEFI driver is aimed more at the newer Z370 and Z390 chipsets.

You should be using OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with your Z97 chipset.

I have attached a Clover folder that I use for a pair of Gigabyte motherboards a Z87/i5 4440 CPU and a Z97/i7 4790K CPU, it should also work with yours. You will need to reapply the iMac 15.1 SMBIOS, copy your newly generated Serial Board Number to the MLB and then generate a ROM code, as I have wiped these from the config.plist.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Hi EdHawk, thanks for help.

I replaced the Clover folder then followed the steps above following this guide (though with SmUUID generated in Clover).

I now get the attached error. Thoughts? EFI folder also attached.

Something I was unclear about, the boot problems are with the Mojave Installation drive I made. I used a 16GB SSD partition with UniBeast, as I had issues using USB drives (can't find any USB 2.0 drives).

Sorry for poor reporting!

Attachments

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
I tried to create new installers drives with USB 3.0 drives using UniBeast.

The Legacy Bootloader did not work, Clover would load up but no boot options.

The UEFI Bootloader also did not work, it did offer boot option of Mojave Installer, but had the Alloc Type 2 error messages in initial post.

I tried AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, and OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi just in case. They all had same issue.

I don't think this is a USB issue as had same result from SSD Installer drive in initial post.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The error message is related to the OsxAptioFix.... driver.

Simply replace the one in your /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder with one of the drivers in the attached folder. Try them one at a time, whatever you do, do not have two OsxAptio or Aptio drivers in this folder at the same time.

My GA-Z97X-UD5H & GA-Z87MX-D3H both work with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, i.e. the one I provide in the CLOVER folder above. I thought your Z97 board would do the same.

Attachments

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
I just checked in after finding this page with the list of drivers, unfortunately all produce similar errors.

I'm thinking to start fresh with this guide, and use the EFI Folder you provided when trouble arises.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Sorry I'm a bit more awake today and just realised you are using Mojave. I have made some changes to the CLOVER folder that you attached above to make it more compatible, including a different OsxAptioFix driver.

I have assumed your Nvidia Titan Black works natively with macOS, i.e has the GK 110 Maxwell core, sot the drivers are included and you do not need the Nvidia Web Drivers.

Here is a link to your Motherboard specifications - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-UD7-TH-rev-10#sp

This confirms your Board incorporates the following:
  • Audio - ALC1150 codec (AppleALC.kext)
  • LAN - Intel Ethernet (IntelMausiEthernet.kext)
  • USB - Intel USB Controller (USBInjectAll.kext & Mojave USB Port Limit Patches (4 No))
  • USB - Asmedia USB Controller (Not sure if these four USB 3 ports will work, I don't have a kext for this controller)
  • SATA - Intel Chipset (AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext)
  • SATA - Marvell 88SE9172 chipset (AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext)
  • Intel Thunderbolt ports - No kext added.
The kexts listed above plus Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext have been added to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Many thanks for the modified file and explanations, sadly no joy - more "alloc Type 2" errors. I've been trying things out the minute you posted the above, but it has been fruitless.

Strangely, non of my boot drives are working - the various install drives I've created in the past 24 hours, and my backup system drive, all have the same issue since I attempted a Mojave upgrade on the main drive.

Have tried various EFI/driver settings on the various drives, including backup system drive. I've tried your settings and others. I can't be sure my EFI settings were backed up properly, it was an old backup (cavalier approach).

Have tried recalling my previously working BIOS settings, and redoing it several times from scratch, nothing seems to work - I can't even get back to my starting place with a working Sierra boot drive. Horrendous timing!

Good point about lack of Nvidia GPU support in Mojave, I think I have a Keplar based GeForce GTX Titan Black... which I believe is ok, as per here.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
When you install a new version of Clover the installer creates a backup of your EFI Folder, on the Root of your drive. There should be a working EFI stored on your main drive.

The Bios settings can sometimes change without any direct action on our part, I found this happens particularly when you add and remove disks from the system.

Best to just check then, the most common Bios changes for a Hackintosh are as follows:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
  13. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  14. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  15. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  16. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Given you have a Z97X board not all of these options will be visible or apply. Just make sure you change the ones marked in RED. The bottom four will be fairly obvious as you have a dedicated GPU.

The Bios settings being wrong, even just a few can cause all sorts of issues with a Hack.

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Thanks for your perseverance. There were a couple of BIOS differences (Integrated Graphics, Wake on LAN) but still no joy (screenshot attached).

This guy has same mobo, I've asked him for BIOS and Clover settings.

Am also about to try High Sierra, although currently nothing is working past the Bootloader stage... except Windows 10 :censored:

Attachments

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
No dice with High Sierra or Guide.

I don't understand what has happened. I had working installation of Sierra, stupidly attempted Mojave upgrade, now nothing Hackintosh seems to work.

Massive lesson in backing up properly (thought I had).

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Well, praise be to Clover for keeping EFI backups. I have located my old working EFI settings... however, still does not progress beyond Bootloader due to Aptio error.

I've tried the five Aptio drivers again with the EFI back up, nada.

BIOS I've checked, reloaded, recreated, maybe thirty times today.

My prior working EFI settings are attached for interest. From two years ago, probably a bit mad.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have had a quick look at your Previous EFI folder and would comment as follows:
  1. You have no kexts in any of the folders under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts. You should as a minimum have FakeSMC.kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  2. The rest of the EFI/CLOVER folder is fairly standard for a Tonymacx86 Clover installation.
  3. Your config seems to be set for Legacy Booting, rather than UEFI booting. Maybe you need to do the same with your current setup, if your bios is set for Legacy booting then any UEFI setup is likely to fail to run.
  4. The config is fairly basic, again not unusual, so not many things can be wrong.
  5. The more you try to do with config.plist the more chances there are of things clashing or going wrong.
I have slightly amended the config.plist in the attached CLOVER folder, I have added the 'Scan > Custom > Legacy=First' to the GUI section.

But it is basically the same as the one I posted above. I have also changed the OsxAptioFix driver to the one you had in your El Capitan EFI folder, which I hope with the other minor changes fixes your boot issue.

I would ask how you are installing Clover to your USB install drive, Legacy or UEFI?

Does this match your Bios Settings? This relates to setting item No 8 in the Bios Setting list in post No 9. Our older Haswell 1150 socket boards are sometimes best left with legacy first/then UEFI.

Clover installation:
When you have selected your USB drive during the Clover installation, you should be then customising the install, to suit your system.

This screenshot shows what would be a typical customisation screen for a UEFI boot:

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.50.png

This screenshot shows what would be a typical customisation screen for a Legacy Boot:

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 12.17.14.png

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Some of the Bios settings for my GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard can be seen in the two images below.

I have 'UEFI and Legacy' selected under 'Boot Mode Selection'. It also shows the 'VT-d' & 'Intel Virtualisation' settings.

IMG_2954.JPG

This image shows the Graphics Settings for my i7-4790K CPU, with the PCI-E Slot selected as first GPU, it also shows a few other settings that you need to make sure are set for XHCI and EHCI hand-off.

IMG_2956.JPG

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Many thanks for the considerations - I'll duly go through.

In the interim I attempted an Olarila Sierra install, started taking out PCI cards and found I could boot installer with GPU removed. However, once installed the OS would not boot (crazy graphical mashing).

Do you think Olarila or UniBeast is best option for me? Previously I used a wizard from Insanely Mac that worked flawlessly, but I cannot find it now, and that was two years ago.

Perhaps I am best doing manual Clover... but my skill is low.

Anyhow, I shall take heed of your guidance and report back.

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
PS you were right, the GPU is not supported in Mojave. I am in the market for another.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Powercolor RX 580 is what I am currently using. Worked out of the Box with High Sierra, Mojave and the beta for Catalina.

First I would Erase a 8GB or larger USB drive. Using the settings shown in the following Screenshot.

Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 14.49.12.png This will completely wipe the USB and prepare it to receive macOS.

I would then use the Terminal command to create the macOS installation USB and a manual installation of Clover.

The steps you need to follow are these:
  1. Download macOS app from the App Store, but do not run the app.
  2. It will have been copied to the Applications folder.
  3. Open Terminal and paste one of the following commands in to the app, depending on which version of macOS you wish to install, followed by your password:
    1. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled
    2. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled
  4. Once the CreateInstallMedia process has completed you will have a clean macOS install drive.
  5. You can now install clover to the USB, follow these steps:
Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.56.56.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.57.06.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.57.24.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.57.44.png Select 'Change Install Location' button

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.10.png Make sure you do not have the current macOS drives selected

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.21.png Make sure you have selected the new macOS USB you just created and then select Continue.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.34.png Select the 'Customise' button

For a UEFI install make sure the top two options are selected.
Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.50.png Clover for UEFI booting only & Install Clover in the ESP. select 'Install'

The other Clover options will be covered by the contents of the CLOVER folder I provided in post No. 7.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.59.23.png Enter your password and select Install Software.

This will complete the installation of Clover to the USB.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 16.20.47.png The Clover installation process will, if you have Hard drives visible on the desktop, mounted the EFI Partition for the USB drive. This is where Clover has been installed, you will need to open the EFI Partition.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 16.22.30.png You will need to open the EFI folder.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 16.24.04.png
In the EFI folder will be these folders. Have the CLOVER folder I provided in an easily accessible location and drag it to this folder, it will overwrite the CLOVER folder that was just created, but that is OK. The Clover folder I provided contains the drivers, kexts and config.plist you need to use.

You can now close all the open folders/finder windows and eject the USB (both partitions) and it will be ready to be used.

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Thanks so much - trying this now...

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
... so, following the above I had Aptio issues. I reset BIOS and changed just a few essentials, and it booted for a couple of minutes before giving:

"Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook. How do I switch to XPC or Bootstrap?"

Cue trying out different combinations of Installer, BIOS, and Clover.

The home brewed installer won't load, but I haven't experimented with the Clover config (only imported yours, and some others I had saved). The UniBeast installer is loading.

I just booted High Sierra installation SSD! No GPU or anything, but a step in the right direction.

Many thanks for your help, I will resume in the near future.

Trombone

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790 4.0 GHz
GPU
AMD 580 Pulse 8 GB
Also, I remembered that I did the original install with a Nvidia K5000... then it gave out and I replaced it with the GTX Titan Black. I'm looking at getting a K5000 again for a slightly simpler life.