Need advice for budget Hackintosh build

xatrox

macOS
Mobo
NUC5i5
Hi, I have plan to build new hackintosh to replace my current Intel NUCintosh(NUC5i5).
I will use it mostly for coding and sometimes for editing video(rarely, once a month maybe).
My current budget is tight, under $600 (exclude pc case & Monitor, I already have it).

Should I use Asrock H370M-ITX/ac or MSI B360M-Mortar?
or maybe there are another best motherboard option for build under $600?

And can I get your advice about another parts that can fit to my budget?
Thanks.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Which case are you planning to use.

That will dictate any specifics such as the motherboard size, CPU cooler height, graphics card length, PSU size and type of WiFi/BT card to be used, i.e. PCI-e or CNVI/motherboard connector.

xatrox

macOS
Mobo
NUC5i5
Which case are you planning to use.

That will dictate any specifics such as the motherboard size, CPU cooler height, graphics card length, PSU size and type of WiFi/BT card to be used, i.e. PCI-e or CNVI/motherboard connector.
I have 2 case right now:
- mATX with max 250mm VGA and max 160mm CPU cooler
- ATX with max 380mm VGA and max 160mm CPU cooler

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Makes, model numbers of cases?

I use Fractal Design cases for all my builds. As they are quiet and run cool. They are though heavy and awkward to move.

Of the two boards you mentioned above in post #1 I would go for the MSI board, as it offers more flexibility and expandability with the additional PCI-e slots. In the UK the MSI board costs just under£100. The main componets are macOS friendly, i.e. Intel USB controller, Realtek ALC892 codec, Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN controller.

An i3-8100 Coffee Lake CPU would cost around £110, you are looking at around £160 for an i5.

Memory say starting with 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB set) Corsair Vengance would cost around £75.

A discrete graphics card that is compatible with macOS Catalina, an MSI RX580 8GB would cost around £160. Stay away from the XFX and Sapphire cards, as some of these can be problematic due to the non-standard bios's used and as a result they don't play nice with macOS.

Those are the basics for your build, as you already have the monitor, case and PSU (assumed keyboard and mouse are also previously owned). You would be looking at around £450 for the i3 system and £500 for the i5 system (UK prices). The i5 system is probably somewhere around the top of your $600 budget. Obviously taxes and delivery costs may be extra, but you might also be able to find a saving on Amazon.com or Newegg for these parts.

xatrox

macOS
Mobo
NUC5i5
Finally I build with this item :
Gigabyte Z390UD
i3-9100F
RX580 8GD5
240gb NVMe ssd

And i have success install mac os, but I got some issue with it.

Issues so far :
- No audio out (which kext that i should use for hardware above)
- After shutdown, suddenly boot up again. It will completely shutdown after 2 or 3 time.
- Sleep take long time, and after wake up from sleep my screen will freeze for few second then can run normal again.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Audio requires the following kexts:
  • AppleALC.kext and
  • Lilu.kext
Plus an audio Layout ID being injected via the config.plist. Your motherboard uses a Realtek ALC887 Codec. So the Audio Layout Id you need will be one of these: 1, 2, 3, 5 or 7

The Shutdown reboot issue you are seing is very common when USB ports are not configured correctly. Calls to the USB ports, i.e. USB Hard Drives, pen drives, Bluetooth etc. cause an instant wake. To solve this you need to create an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext to activate and control the USB ports in your system.

Here is a guide by UtterDisbelief over at Tonymax86 for you to read and follow - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

Latest posts