New to Hackintosh, looking to build a home theater computer

imageWIS

Hello all,

Newbie here, so thanks for your patience. I'm looking to build a Hackintosh to connect to my 4K TV to watch saved movies and do some web browsing from the couch. Any suggestions as to the best way to get started, what components I should look for, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

If Apple had industry-standard prices on the Mac Mini, that's what I would get (to replace my old 2011 Mac Mini) but as they have jumped the shark, I'm going in this direction (plus I'll be learning more about computers as well ;-) ).

Thank you!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Have a look at the parts section on this website - https://hackintosher.com/parts/, it will be a good starting point for building a Hackintosh.

I would suggest that any Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake i5 or i7 CPU would serve you as a starting point for the build. The motherboard size/type you buy will depend on the case you are thinking of using for your HTPC. The case will also dictate how many SSD's or HD's you can install.

You will not need a high end discrete GPU for this system nor will you need to max out the memory, 8GB of RAM will probably suffice.

Latest posts