hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
My Hackintosh is running smooth,
but when plugged the cable in the second (HDMI/DP) gpu RTX3080 the Hackintosh wont show a picture on the 5600XT. If, I detach the cable all is ok. Card is via device properties disabled.

Any suggestion what this might be?
Sanity Checker doesnt detect any issue.

Maybe its the same thing from here. I dont know what have being changed here.
I did a new install of my hackintosh because of the NVME issue, but I copied all the entries and so far besides this, all good. I guess its just a minor thing to apply in the config plist. Would appreciate a hint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Which Slot is the RX5600 XT in and which is the RTX3080 installed into.

What slot is set as the 'default' for graphics in your bios?

If the Slot the RTX 3080 is the default in the bios, it will not show an image in macOS if a cable is connected and will most likely ignore the connection to the AMD RX 5600 XT. Especially if they are both using the same type of cable connection.

You might be able to boot with a cable connected to both, but they can't be the same cable as you will need to switch the display between the two connector types on when you boot between macOS and Windows.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Thanks for the reply.

The RTX is my main card in slot PEG0. The 5600XT is PEG1.
Got an msi meg ace z490 board now with 8/8.
So good for dual gpu.

No one can set as default- there is just PEG0 and PEG1 and both are set to Gen3 Pcie Speed.

I mean it was working before on my gaming plus msi z490.
The RTX is Display Port under Win and the 5600XT is HDMi under mac os.
I boot with the rtx card under display port and switch in case i go to mac os to hdmi. Was working well before, now there is just a black screen on hdmi.
If i boot without the DP/HDMI cable connected to the RTX card i get an image.

I thought there is something wrong i need propably to set in my config.plist!?
Any hint which part to check in the plist?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try switching the cable connectors so the macOS setup uses the DisplayPort connection.

I don’t think this is related to a config issue if you had it working before. Saying that, I assume you have the agdpmod=pikera boot argument in your config. This is used with the AMD 5000 series cards to prevent a black screen issue that occurs after the Apple logo.

I would also check the options in the bios again, as you can normally set which PCIe slot is used by default.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Cables and so on i checked and used different ports.

Why i assume its something with the config is, because when i changed from 580series to 5600xt series i had the same thing i guess.

You.mentioned i had some graphics enabled wrong here. So maybe when making my config plist new i oversee that options. But i checked config plist many times. Maybe i need to delete some unneccessary things out of my plist, and clean it up!?

I just remember the last time i used the cleaned uped plist provided by you, i could boot easily with my old system.

I don't know why. But in graphics in my main board i can just set the link speed of the graphic ports, not any default options.

Before i could just set integrated or peg.
Now, there is no integrated, so its automatic peg. But no option if peg 0 or 1.

Displayport in RX and HDMi in RTX has the same issues.

Attached the only graphics options i got and set.
1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I've had a look at your EFI folder and the config.plist from post #1 and they are fine. Other than a few unnecessary placeholder entries in the config.plist, I couldn't see anything wrong or out of place with either.

I assume you have enabled the CFG Lock option in your Bios, as you don't have the option that deals with this feature enabled in the config.plist. If this were not set correctly you would most likely see a kernel panic, not have a black screen issue.

Have you tried running macOS with just the RX 5600 XT installed? Does it show a black screen?

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Hey thanks a lot!
I thought maybe the placeholders are better if i delete them?

CFG Lock is disabled in the BIOS.

With just the 5600XT installed and connected to the screen all is fine. Even with the RTX installed. The only issue is when the RTX has any cable HDMI or DP doesn't matter attached.

Then the PC is showing all the bootlogs and bootscreen on this (RTX) device, like before.
I boot into MacOS and switch after the OC Picker from the DP (RTX Card) to the HDMI Port (Radeon Card) and MacOS is giving me an image. And this image is now missing.
And i don't know why?! Hope you understand what i mean.

If I just have the radeon attached to the screen i get an image.
So, MacOS is booted for sure- the issue is just that macOS doesnt give me an image, when any cable is hanging on the RTX card. Wonder where this suddenly is coming from.
Never change a running system..... :(

Thats what i get/see on the DP Port (RTX) and on the other side HDMI (Radeon) just a black image.

Can another Device property patch or framebufferpatch help here?
And if yes how can implement sth like this?

EDIT: When i see the black screen and i do a screenshot, the hack does a screenshot from a running system - i can hear and later on i can see the screenshot. So the issue is that the GPU might be disabled anyhow. gIOScreenLockState 3 might be one reason!?

11.jpeg

22.jpeg

Last edited:

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
@Edhawk
Hey!

So after the entire day -until the early morning- i started the day fresh with a bios update, which wasn't just a month fresher than my previous one, but the thing which solved it, is that i went through my bios settings again and again, and something what was working before is better to turn off on the current board and mentioned also in Dortania's Guide:

If Above 4G Decoding is enabled don't enable Resize Bar - now i get an image :)
And it doesn't matter if WEG is installed or not.
Thanks for everything!

By the way; do you have an overall tipp for me how to clean the config plist, which is important and what not!? I clean some parts already and feel booting is a second smoother as well.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No unfortunately I don't know of a guide for cleaning the config.plist.

I learnt by trial error, plus having years of experience working with Chameleon and Clover. This gave me a good idea of what could safely be removed.

I wouldn't recommend deleting anything if you don't know what it is in the config to do.

The two screenshots in post #7 don't show the normal gIOScreenLockState 3 kernel panic screen. Your system passes the point where they normally appear.
  1. The First is probably related to the Nvidia GPU being present but not fully disabled.
  2. The second is harder to understand, at a guess I would say it was WiFi related, but that would be a guess.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Thanks therefor!

I saw it surpasses screenlockstate but now it seems its gone for good out of the verbose boot text.

Ok i wont delete anything, i got a copy.
I just looked up your cleaned up efi and deleted reserved memory since it seems to be for laptops only!?

Also i was wondering in the patch entries are some digits which change in newer sample plist, both working so i assume going with newer ones is recommended?

When i made the hack new i took a fresh sample plist and attach the obvious values. Normally i always keep my plist. I know many peeps always doing out of the sample plist a new config plist with every update.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I take a fresh Sample.plist with each version of OpenCore I use. I do this because the new versions of the Sample.plist contain all the new options and have the old/obsolete options removed. Otherwise it is a lot of work to get the system running as intended. My 'working' config.plist contains the patches etc I use for my system(s), so they are used to fill in the parts not dealt with by the Sample.plist.

I don't update my system with each OC release either. I now leave two or three releases in between. So for instance my 0.5.9 OC wasn't updated till 0.6.3 and OC0.6.3 until 0.6.6. A three - four month update timeframe works for me as I have nine (9) hacks that each have to be updated, so it can take some time to do and I don't want to be doing it each month.

I look at the updates that come out in-between, but I need to see something that could effect my systems in order for me to decide to apply a new release. With OC 0.6.6 there were some major changes, that was not the case with 0.6.4 or 0.6.5, so they were not used by me for my systems.

I did help others who used these other versions, to troubleshoot issues and created a few compatible config.plists so I was aware of the changes that had been made by each release.