NVIDIA HDMI Audio with AppleALC

macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
Apple removes support for NVIDIA audio devices starting in 10.13.4 and continuing in 10.14.

AppleALC provides digital and analog audio support starting from the OS installation:
  • Unsupported audio controller enabling (internal and external)
  • Digital audio property injection for AMD, Intel, NVIDIA
Installation
  • Install Lilu.kext if not already installed
  • Install AppleALC.kext for NVIDIA audio device support + digital audio property injection
Credits: AppleALC

Notes
  • Not all ports on 10-series cards may be working for audio. If audio was not previously known to work (1050, 1060, 1070, 1080...), try
    • disconnecting/reconnecting your display
    • using different ports
  • Uninstall previous files, HDMIAudio.kext etc. before trying alternatives
  • Update Lilu + plugins to the latest versions

Last edited:

gerald79

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Strix Z270E
CPU
Intel I7 7700K
GPU
ASUS Strix GTX1060
big, big thank , perfect Audio HDMI :)

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z 170 Pro Gaming
CPU
Intel Core i5, 3.5 GHz
GPU
Nvidia GTX 980
I have a Nvidia GTX 980. Which Device-ID should i generate?
Thx a lot for your help!

gerald79

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Strix Z270E
CPU
Intel I7 7700K
GPU
ASUS Strix GTX1060
[QUOTE = "SoundGuyVienna, post: 1446, member: 411"] J'ai une Nvidia GTX 980. Quel Device-ID dois-je générer?
Merci beaucoup pour votre aide! [/ QUOTE]
bonjour, j'ai pris celui par défaut dans l'application

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z 170 Pro Gaming
CPU
Intel Core i5, 3.5 GHz
GPU
Nvidia GTX 980
[QUOTE = "SoundGuyVienna, post: 1446, member: 411"] J'ai une Nvidia GTX 980. Quel Device-ID dois-je générer?
Merci beaucoup pour votre aide! [/ QUOTE]
bonjour, j'ai pris celui par défaut dans l'application
So, you generated Device ID "0000" ?
Thx again!

gradou

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z170
CPU
Core i7
GPU
Asus 1060
@gerald79
J'ai vu dans votre signature que vous utilisez une Asus 1060. J'ai la même carte mais aucun des kexts générés avec n'importe laquelle des options ne fonctionne. Seule une 960 est reconnue...
Est ce bien la 1060 que vous utilisez ? Et si oui comment comment donc avez vous fait ?
D'avance merci !! :)

gradou

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z170
CPU
Core i7
GPU
Asus 1060
Thank you for your answer :)
However I think HDMI audio (Nvidia pascal) worked fine with Sierra but I'm not sure :(
And why Hdmi port works fine with VoodooHDA ?

macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
Thank you for your answer :)
However I think HDMI audio (Nvidia pascal) worked fine with Sierra but I'm not sure :(
And why Hdmi port works fine with VoodooHDA ?
Is NvidiaGraphicsFixup or HDMI audio SSDT installed?

HDMI audio 'hda-gfx' and 'connector-type' properties are required for AppleHDA audio. Not needed for VoodooHDA.

Also FakePCIID.kext is installed? The injector generated by HDAUID.app does nothing without it.

gradou

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z170
CPU
Core i7
GPU
Asus 1060
The SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEGO and the kext NvidiaGraphicsFixup are installed.

But I don't know what are : "HDMI audio 'hda-gfx' and 'connector-type' properties" (may be in the SSDT ?)

FakePCIID is installed when I install FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU for use with the geforce 960. The 1060 graphic card is not recognized by the kext made with your HDAUID app (I have tried all device IDs).

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
The SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEGO and the kext NvidiaGraphicsFixup are installed.
You probably don't need both, NvidiaGraphicsFixup adds the properties unless you disable the feature.
But I don't know what are : "HDMI audio 'hda-gfx' and 'connector-type' properties" (may be in the SSDT ?)
Yes
FakePCIID is installed when I install FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU for use with the geforce 960. The 1060 graphic card is not recognized by the kext made with your HDAUID app (I have tried all device IDs).
Great. If you use IORegistryExplorer (attached) to save a copy of your IOReg we can see what is going on.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
OK and thank you for your interest !
An HDAEnabler kext is loading on the HDMI audio device which you probably don't want. FakePCIID isn't loading either so may not be installed correctly.

Apart from this, you are also injecting via Clover AppleALC + Lilu + NVIDIAGraphicsFixup which (without HDAEnabler loading) would likely enable built-in audio + HDMI audio without FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU.

I suggest:

• Remove HDAEnabler.kext
  • Remove FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU.kext
  • Remove FakePCIID.kext (if no longer required by other plugins/injectors)
  • Rebuild kernel cache
    • sudo kextcache -i /
  • (Optionally) remove SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEG0.aml
  • Reboot and see if built-in audio and HDMI audio are working with AppleALC + NvidiaGraphicsFixup method

gradou

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z170
CPU
Core i7
GPU
Asus 1060
I suggest:

• Remove HDAEnabler.kext
  • Remove FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU.kext
  • Remove FakePCIID.kext (if no longer required by other plugins/injectors)
  • Rebuild kernel cache
    • sudo kextcache -i /
  • (Optionally) remove SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-PEG0.aml
  • Reboot and see if built-in audio and HDMI audio are working with AppleALC + NvidiaGraphicsFixup method
Done. Built-in audio works, but HDMI audio doesn't with the Pascal 1060.

macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
Done. Built-in audio works, but HDMI audio doesn't with the Pascal 1060.
If you post a copy of IOReg I'll check if HDMI audio is implemented and not working, or not working for another reason.

macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
AppleHDA is loaded on the HDAU device and the HDMI audio properties are present - it's working but there is no audio.

I'm back to suggesting you try a different port if possible. Even un-plugging and re-plugging the same connector has been known to help.

gradou

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z170
CPU
Core i7
GPU
Asus 1060
I have tried on another HDMI port but nothing new.
However I’ve tried with both DP and HDMI connected to 2 différents monitors : HDMI audio is recognized (Dp audio too) on dédicated monitor.

PS : in my current situation: for the Nvidia 1060 to recognize the HDMI audio device it must also be connected in DisplayPort to another device itself active, in which case, and only case currently, I get both devices audio in the ad hoc dashboard and can select one of my choice. If there is only the HDMI connection: no HDMI sound ...

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU
i5 4600
GPU
Sapphire Pulse RX580
I have tried on another HDMI port but nothing new.
However I’ve tried with both DP and HDMI connected to 2 différents monitors : HDMI audio is recognized (Dp audio too) on dédicated monitor.

PS : in my current situation: for the Nvidia 1060 to recognize the HDMI audio device it must also be connected in DisplayPort to another device itself active, in which case, and only case currently, I get both devices audio in the ad hoc dashboard and can select one of my choice. If there is only the HDMI connection: no HDMI sound ...
If single DisplayPort is working, you could try a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter. FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU will not change this unfortunately.