hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Hi there,

I changed my Mainboard and also my NVME drive.
If I have it right in mind, the new NVME was already slow on the old mainboard, but since I have got two of the same models and they are both slow (with or without MacOS on it)
I don't think it is a hardware issue. Under Linux they perform more or less like they should do.

Before I had the Z490 MSI Gaming Plus with a SanDisk Extreme Pro NVME Pcie3 - no issues.
Now I got a Z490 MSI MEG ACE with a PM9A1 OEM SAMSUNG PCIe 4.0 NVME equivalent of the 980Pro Modell.
The original 980 Pro I got as well, never installed MacOS on it, but the speedtest
under MacOS went like it should be.

I reinstalled the entire Hackintosh clean with a new efi and a new config plist up to date (OC 0.66), but the issue is still there.
As well I did a CMOS Reset and set all mainboard settings again.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-08 um 00.22.42.png

During the Dortania Guide, I found when doing my Installer new, the STA issue I got. Is this Controller only for the USB responsible or can this has to do with my NVME problem?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Can you post a copy of your OC folder, redact the Serial, UUID, MLB and ROM in the config.plist before posting.

Let us see what you are using, as it may be a setting or kext causing the slow down.

Did you use the ClearNvram option on the OC boot/picker screen when you initially booted the system?

Does your Bios contain any NVME settings, that might need tweaking/enabling or disabling?

Do you have anything installed in to the PCIe slot5 (bottom x8/x4 slot), as the manual states the following:

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 16.49.07.png

This would significantly reduce the speed of the NVMe drive. Not sure if it would affect any other NVMe drives.

Have you run the NVME SSD Self-Test in the Bios for your new motherboard?

Look under Advanced Menu -

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 16.52.01.png

What if anything does this test say?

Do you have your Bios set to use AHCI? If you have it set to Raid/Optane this might also cause some issues.

Some things for you to review and check.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Hi,

I used the sanity checker and it found no issue, will upload my efi.

I just use the nvme fix kext.

Nothing is installed in the pcie5 slot and i put the setting to m3 slot m2 only. As well no sata is attached and it doesn't matter which m2 slot I am using the nvme behave the same.

Ahci is on. I did several cmos resets and as well cleared the nvram and reinstalled everything on the second nvme i got of the same type.

Checked both with the mainboard self test with no issues. Used linux live which is slow in write but not in read, so vice versa- but i read its a linux problem.

In the Bios is nothing left what i saw might be helpful for the nvme.

Since Dortania mentioend a warning for samsung drives - maybe the new oem version is again affected. I ordered another nvme from WD to check, but would be more than happy if the one i got from samsung would run.

Will install windows and highly assume all will work fine under windows with this nvme.

Note: I deleted the Intel BT Kext out of it, cuz they are too huge for uploading and not running. I don't need it but the Wifi kext for my board is running.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I take it you can disable the CFG Lock in your bios.

Can you try setting the Kernel > Quirks > ThirdPartyDrives: True.

Can't see anything wrong with the OC folder contents or config.plist.

Are you sure you require the NVMeFix.kext? Have you tried booting without this kext in the /OC/Kexts folder and disabling the entry in the config.plist.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Thanks for the fast reply, will do now.

I didnt take the nvme kext out, cuz dortania mentioned it should still be there. I read that others using NVMe w/o issues w/o the kext. So I thought about it.

Will set it to true and reset, otherwise my last option will be an NVMe swap and see.
Before, with the SanDisk extreme pro pcie3 NVMe no issues so far.

Can be that the new Samsung elpis controller from Samsung is slightly different from the ones from the retail version and occurs again issues under MacOS, like the older controller from the 970 evo plus time ago.

I guess for this minor update it is enough that I do a OC Snapshot instead of a Clean Oc Snapshot? The clean one can probably mess with my settings?!

CFG Lock and SW Guard Extension are disabled in the Bios.

Unfortunately no change, still HDD Speed and lesser - I will update this Thread how it will work with the other NVME, so OEM Buyer of the new Samsung will be aware of.

Anyway thanks for your input and help! Appreciate!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have a pair of Samsung SM951 NVMe PCIe drives in my main hack. While much much older than your drives, they are similar in that they were an OEM drive based on a Pro drive, which was available at a much higher price. I haven't used an NVMe patch or kext since I last had Sierra installed. I am not even sure I had to use the patches in Clover for the last version of Sierra.

I am booting with OpenCore on all of my hacks now. Most running the latest version 0.6.6. I don't use the NVMeFix.kext on any of the systems I use, or build for other people.

I think you have nothing to lose by trying to boot your hack without the NVMeFix.kext in your /OC/Kexts folder. It would be easy to test it on a spare USB, simply copy your current folder without the kext and config.plist entry, to the EFI Partition on the USB. Boot from the USB and see what difference if any it makes.

You are correct it could be caused by an issue like the one that impacted users of the 970 EVO Plus drive. That being the case you will just have to wait for Samsung to release a new firmware for the drive.

I don't use the OC Snapshot feature, always use the Clean OC Snapshot feature in ProperTree, after making any changes to the OC sub-folders. As it is the easiest way to update the config.plist to relate to any SSDT, driver, tool or kext removals & additions.

Best of luck with the NVMe drive.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Thanks for that!
So far i tried it on the Hack, without luck. Yes, since I have a fresh system, a backup and a good fresh installer on hand, there is nothing too loose.

I just configured windows new as well and voila, the NVME is working like supposed. The Gen 3 Port is at the limit, Over 3000mb/s read and write speed.

When my WD NVME (Pcie4 as well) arrives and I install the hack new I will update if it is working and then we now.

The thing is that this SSD NVME is pretty new and less ppl will have it running in a MacOS environment - I hope with the new one the issue is solved what i highly assume.