d3luxyy

macOS
Mobo
MSI H61m-P20(G3)
CPU
Intel i7-3770k
GPU
Aorus RX570 4gb
Hey guys, I am struggling to install MacOS Catalina on one of my hard drives. After alot of errors I got into Recovery. I formatted my HDD as APFS. It took like 11 minutes until it showed "2 minutes remaining", and then it rebooted my PC and went back to the bootloader into recovery again. Im not sure if its supposed to go there, but I cant get into MacOS either so it has to be a problem with the install right? I might switch to clover, Im not sure as I have spent a lot of time on trying to find out what kexts etc I had to get(I'm new so it took ALOT of googling for stuff). I will attach my EFI folder, maybe I have a setting wrong or something missing? I can get screenshots, just ask ig.
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
There are a few issues with your OpenCore 0.7.0 setup for your mixed 6/7 series system. They are as follows:

1. You are missing the two ACPI > Delete entries, which are required for an Ivy Bridge CPU. Both of which need to be enabled for your CPU.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 22.36.59.png
ACPI > Delete entries - missing from your config.plist

2. Your config.plist is missing the DeviceProperties for the 6-series motherboard IMEI fix. This needs to be included as well as the SSDT in your /OC/ACPI folder. The missing entry is shown in the screenshot below.

3. Your Intel iGPU is not set with an empty framebuffer as would be expected when you have a discrete graphics card installed. This is also missing from the DeviceProperties > Add section. The missing entry is shown in the screenshot below.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 22.41.42.png

Missing IGPU and IMEI entries in the DeviceProperties > Add section.

4. You have XHCI-Unsupported in your /OC/Kexts folder and an entry for the kext in your config.plist. You don't need this kext as it does nothing for an Ivy Bridge USB setup. Both the kext and the config.plist entry can be deleted.

5. You have the Kernel > Quirks > AppleXcpmCfgLock = False, when it should be set as True.

6. If you are using an SSD for macOS, then you should have the
Kernel > Quirks > ThirdPartyDrives set as True, it is set as False in your config.

7. You have a number of unused/unnecessary drivers in the OC/Drivers folder and also entered in the config.plist. You can delete the entries and drivers listed below, keep the remainder:
  • NvmExpressDxe.efi
  • OpenUsbKbDxe.efi
  • UsbKbDxe.efi (in /OC/Drivers folder only)
  • UsbMouseDxe.efi (in /OC/Drivers folder only)
  • XhciDxe.efi
8. You do not have any Tools in the /OC/Tools folder, this is unusual as the OC guide recommends you have these three in the folder:
  • CleanNvram.efi
  • OpenShell.efi
  • ResetSystem.efi
These tools and the ResetNvram option in the config.plist are helpful when issues arise, when you make changes to the config.plist or OC folder contents, and then need to remove/clear the previous NVRAM settings and reset the system.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 23.05.23.png

While you are installing and troubleshooting they should be 'Enabled = True' in the config.plist, as shown above. But they can be disabled (Enabled = False) once you have macOS installed and running satisfactorily.

A revised /EFI/OC folder containing all these changes is attached, see if this folder gets you any further along the with the Catalina installation.

Attachments

d3luxyy

macOS
Mobo
MSI H61m-P20(G3)
CPU
Intel i7-3770k
GPU
Aorus RX570 4gb
Ah, THANK YOU so much. Not out in the clear yet, but somehow my usb devices work this time without all those usb drivers i installed ;-; Still cant move around in opencore boot picker. But If i install now, lets see if it can go all the way through to the end of the installation :D

d3luxyy

macOS
Mobo
MSI H61m-P20(G3)
CPU
Intel i7-3770k
GPU
Aorus RX570 4gb
There are a few issues with your OpenCore 0.7.0 setup for your mixed 6/7 series system. They are as follows:

1. You are missing the two ACPI > Delete entries, which are required for an Ivy Bridge CPU. Both of which need to be enabled for your CPU.

View attachment 11611 ACPI > Delete entries - missing from your config.plist

2. Your config.plist is missing the DeviceProperties for the 6-series motherboard IMEI fix. This needs to be included as well as the SSDT in your /OC/ACPI folder. The missing entry is shown in the screenshot below.

3. Your Intel iGPU is not set with an empty framebuffer as would be expected when you have a discrete graphics card installed. This is also missing from the DeviceProperties > Add section. The missing entry is shown in the screenshot below.
View attachment 11612
Missing IGPU and IMEI entries in the DeviceProperties > Add section.

4. You have XHCI-Unsupported in your /OC/Kexts folder and an entry for the kext in your config.plist. You don't need this kext as it does nothing for an Ivy Bridge USB setup. Both the kext and the config.plist entry can be deleted.

5. You have the Kernel > Quirks > AppleXcpmCfgLock = False, when it should be set as True.

6. If you are using an SSD for macOS, then you should have the
Kernel > Quirks > ThirdPartyDrives set as True, it is set as False in your config.

7. You have a number of unused/unnecessary drivers in the OC/Drivers folder and also entered in the config.plist. You can delete the entries and drivers listed below, keep the remainder:
  • NvmExpressDxe.efi
  • OpenUsbKbDxe.efi
  • UsbKbDxe.efi (in /OC/Drivers folder only)
  • UsbMouseDxe.efi (in /OC/Drivers folder only)
  • XhciDxe.efi
8. You do not have any Tools in the /OC/Tools folder, this is unusual as the OC guide recommends you have these three in the folder:
  • CleanNvram.efi
  • OpenShell.efi
  • ResetSystem.efi
These tools and the ResetNvram option in the config.plist are helpful when issues arise, when you make changes to the config.plist or OC folder contents, and then need to remove/clear the previous NVRAM settings and reset the system.

View attachment 11613

While you are installing and troubleshooting they should be 'Enabled = True' in the config.plist, as shown above. But they can be disabled (Enabled = False) once you have macOS installed and running satisfactorily.

A revised /EFI/OC folder containing all these changes is attached, see if this folder gets you any further along the with the Catalina installation.
Ok soooo, I got it installed. I moved the EFI folder to MacOS. To not use my USB drive. I have my wifi adapter driver installed. SO- uh can I remove all my bootargs? I hate the text startup,it looks ugly. Do I only need to remove -v for it, or the whole bootargs?Im not sure what is making my bootup screen grey, as its supposed to be black. ALSO, this is the last question, do I need to install any AMD drivers for my RX570, I mean it looks fine to me. Thank you once again for fixing my EFI :D
Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 12.16.55.png

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, to remove the verbose text you just need to remove the verbose (-v) boot argument. The others are fine and can remain as and where they are.

No you don’t need any additional drivers/kexts for your AMD card, the AMD drivers are part of macOS.

d3luxyy

macOS
Mobo
MSI H61m-P20(G3)
CPU
Intel i7-3770k
GPU
Aorus RX570 4gb
Yes, to remove the verbose text you just need to remove the verbose (-v) boot argument. The others are fine and can remain as and where they are.

No you don’t need any additional drivers/kexts for your AMD card, the AMD drivers are part of macOS.
So I removed, -v but after it restarted it came back? Do I need to reset my NVRAM after configuring it? It can also be the debug thing, I disabled AppleDebug according to a forum.

d3luxyy

macOS
Mobo
MSI H61m-P20(G3)
CPU
Intel i7-3770k
GPU
Aorus RX570 4gb
Nevermind its loading with the Apple Logo now, but a a weird resolution, and then it turns into normal, dang takes a long time to load! Saw a guide on how to change it. If I do that, my hackintosh is finished. My first one ey :D Thanks for the help Edhawk! Couldnt have done it without you

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The resolution change will be where the system passes the graphics control from the basic Vesa drivers to the AMD drivers for your RX 570. There are some settings in OC Troubleshooting guide that allow you to change this, you can also specify a specific resolution for OC to use. But it is a purely cosmetic issue, it won't harm your setup.

The slow boot can sometimes be down to the use of the AudioDxe.efi driver, but your /OC/Drivers folder shouldn't contain that driver.

It can also be down to the system struggling to load a kext or SSDT. You would need to re-enable the verbose boot argument and study the boot process to see where it stalls/slows down. Not easy to do usually, you may need to video the verbose text so you can slow it down so you can read the text.

Best of luck going forward.

d3luxyy

macOS
Mobo
MSI H61m-P20(G3)
CPU
Intel i7-3770k
GPU
Aorus RX570 4gb
The resolution change will be where the system passes the graphics control from the basic Vesa drivers to the AMD drivers for your RX 570. There are some settings in OC Troubleshooting guide that allow you to change this, you can also specify a specific resolution for OC to use. But it is a purely cosmetic issue, it won't harm your setup.

The slow boot can sometimes be down to the use of the AudioDxe.efi driver, but your /OC/Drivers folder shouldn't contain that driver.

It can also be down to the system struggling to load a kext or SSDT. You would need to re-enable the verbose boot argument and study the boot process to see where it stalls/slows down. Not easy to do usually, you may need to video the verbose text so you can slow it down so you can read the text.

Best of luck going forward.
Hi EdHawk, I will try that. Do you know how to sign into imessage and facetime? It just gives me an endless loading thing, although I signed into Appstore and the iMac itself fine?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB