OpenCore Port Mapping to Renesas (sub-ports?)

lessbones

macOS
Mobo
Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU
i7-4790
GPU
NVidia GeForce 970
Hey guys--

this might be an extreme edge case, which is why it seems like nothing has really come up in my work to solve this. I've got an older board which I am transitioning to opencore. The USB ports have never worked perfectly, but I have had full USB3.0 on all ports in the past.

This Mobo has 2 Intel ports on the back, and 4 ports that are controlled by a Renesas chip-- these are the problematic ones. In USBMap all ports show up as the same one -- HS03, no matter if I'm using a usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 device to test-- basically to the system in it's current state, it looks like a USB2.0 hub is plugged in.

However, in exploring my dumped DSDT I can see that two specific designations, HS03 and SS03, both have 4 sub designations-- HSG1-HSG4 and SSG1-SSG4. I can't seem to find any information anywhere on how to deal with such a scenario... and it appears like they're all under the same single XHCI controller as reported to the board??

I've tried resetting RHUBs, but nothing seems to lead to these as being reported as anything other than a single port. Maybe someone has some experience with this?

Attaching some screenshots and the DSDT dump--

thanks all!!
Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 2.06.02 AM.jpg

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The ports are being reported as a USB 'Hub'. Like connecting an external USB Hub to a single port. It is not that uncommon. I have a board with a similar setup, where four physical USB3 ports are set with a single USB3 virtual designation. Cheap way to add more ports to a board, not the best way though.

When setting the connection type for the Hub, during the USB port mapping. You need to set all the ports connected to this HUB as a USB3 port, you may need to do this manually, in the USBMap.kext after the kext has been exported.

I would activate both HS03 and SS03, setting both ports as USB3 connector type.

lessbones

macOS
Mobo
Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU
i7-4790
GPU
NVidia GeForce 970
Yeah, I figured that's what I should try next, but it didn't change anything-- I've still yet to see anything pop up on SS03, they only go to HS03.

Turns out I had an old version of USBInjectAll floating around in /L/E from clover, but removing that, and even trying a kext I found that was supposedly a driver for such Renesas/NEC hubs didn't change anything either.

I'm going to try to see if I can poke around a bit more with the ACPI editing to see if I can figure anything out there.

Also, I just realized that your board has EXACTLY the same configuration as mine, namely:

Chipset:
  1. 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  2. 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
Chipset + Renesas® uPD720210 USB 3.0 Hub:
  1. 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the back panel
Were you able to get those Renesas ports working just by mapping without any extra kexts?

thanks---

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, my usb ports work.

I will share the SSDT or USBPorts.kext I use later, when I am at my Hackintosh. So you can see how I have my system setup.

It may not work the way yiu use your system due to the way the case ports, internal headers etc. are configured.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
We don't have the same Motherboard, yours is the Thunderbolt version, which is likely to have a different USB port configuration. With at least one additional USB Controller compared to mine.

You can use my SSDT-UIAC.dsl as a template for setting your ports up but I doubt it will work perfectly with your setup. Copy of the disassembled SSDT is attached below. This has the comments confirming which virtual port relates to which physical port on my motherboard and Fractal Design R5 Case.

There is a compiled and assembled copy of the SSDT in the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.

I have attached a copy of the /EFI/OC folder I use with my Z97X-UD5H/i7-4790K/RX580 system. You can use it as a base for checking yours. The Serial Number, MLB etc have been removed from the config.plist, this is also confirmed by the name of the config

I use a number of Haswell specific SSDT's that I obtained from a Github page created by VioletDragon (member over at Tonymacx86) - https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Series-9-Patches

I also use an SSDT for the RadeonDeInit fix for my RX580 dGPU, as this is not available as a patch in OC. You won't need this as you have a Nvidia GTX 970 dGPU. I assume you are running High Sierra with this dGPU as you need the Nvidia Web drivers for this card.

Also this OC folder uses the GUI, not the text picker list, so the Resources folder is populated with a number of additional files, but for English language, all other language files were removed.

I hope this helps.

Attachments