macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra
CPU
Intel i9-9900K
GPU
nVidia Titan XP
Howdy, All,

I had High Sierra 10.13.6 running on a Gigabyte Z370 WiFi and Intel i7-8700K CPU with 32Gb of Corsair memory (2 16Gb sticks of CMK32GX4M2B3200C16). Have not upgraded past High Sierra due to use of an nVidia GPU I'd rather not part with.

Gigabyte recently upgraded the bios (version F7) of their Z390 boards to accommodate 32 gigs per slot, so I got a Z390 Ultra, which features four slots, as well as an Intel i9-9900K.

After the board and CPU upgrade, High Sierra is still working fine with the Corsair memory.

Since the firmware upgrade was fairly recent, Gigabyte's QVL (qualified vendor list, showing what memory the board supports) did not show any 32GB single-slot dimms, but Samsung recently came out with one (model # M378A4G43MB1-CTD).

Figuring it would work, I purchased some, and while the system does post, I could never get to a login. The first time, the "gas gauge" never got to the end.

Trying again with verbose mode, it panics right away. Same with safe mode.

I did load Linux on a spare drive and it works fine, so it's not the memory per se.

The backtrace showed AppleSMC and FakeSMC to be the culprits. So far as FakeSMC goes, I'm running RehabMan's latest, 2018-09-15.

I did try modifying config.plist to add sticks of memory into the SMBIOS section, but that had no effect. As the memory size drop-down only went to 16 gigs, I had to manually type 32768 into the size section for each slot.

It's not the total amount of memory, because it panics even with a single stick, which is the same overall amount the two Corsair sticks have put together.

Something about the size of the single sticks is making OSX very unhappy. I haven't seen any reference to using 32GB single sticks, though, now that the new Mac Pro is out, would imagine that will change.

I know this memory is fairly new to the market, but has anyone gotten it to work? Are there any special boot flags, patches, etc. needed to make to make the system run with this memory?

Very sorry, but after putting the Corsair memory back in and getting the system to boot, I was unable to find any of the panic information in the logs, so the attached screen shot is all I have showing the backtrace.

Any replies would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB

osxtra

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9-9900K
GPU
nVidia Titan XP
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I had already tried specifying memory via the SMBIOS section of Clover Configurator; that was mentioned in the original post.

Also saw apfs mentioned in the backtrace and that got me to thinking maybe it was a virtual memory issue (not enough space on the drive to create one), so I disabled it by unloading com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist - there were no swap* files in /private/var/vm to remove. This had no effect, still got the panic.

Is there a way to log the output of -v between re-boots? Once I put the 16GB sticks back in and get the system up, I'm not seeing any record of these panics (i.e., looking in system monitor or grepping /var/log for the specific strings seen on the screen).

Relying on screen shots off the phone is not the most optimal way to log errors. ;)

Again, the system POSTS just fine with these 32GB Samsung sticks, and Linux on a spare drive boots it without any trouble, htop reporting all memory, no crashes, etc. So it's definitely something software related within OSX. Maybe somewhere in there it's hard coded to a max of 16GB per stick, and is getting confused. Who knows.

Here's the memory portion of the config.plist I'm using with the 32GB sticks. Had to list it as code so it wouldn't flatten. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Code:
<key>Memory</key>
<dict>
  <key>Channels</key>
  <integer>2</integer>
  <key>Modules</key>
  <array>
    <dict>
      <key>Frequency</key>
      <integer>2666</integer>
      <key>Part</key>
      <string>M378A4G43MB1-CTD</string>
      <key>Serial</key>
      <string>Unknown</string>
      <key>Size</key>
      <integer>32768</integer>
      <key>Slot</key>
      <integer>0</integer>
      <key>Type</key>
      <string>DDR4</string>
      <key>Vendor</key>
      <string>Samsung</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
      <key>Frequency</key>
      <integer>2666</integer>
      <key>Part</key>
      <key>Serial</key>
      <string>Unknown</string>
      <key>Size</key>
      <integer>32768</integer>
      <key>Slot</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>Type</key>
      <string>DDR4</string>
      <key>Vendor</key>
      <string>Samsung</string>
    </dict>
    <dict>
      <key>Frequency</key>
      <integer>2666</integer>
      <key>Part</key>
      <key>Serial</key>
      <string>Unknown</string>
      <key>Size</key>
      <integer>32768</integer>
      <key>Slot</key>
      <integer>2</integer>
      <key>Type</key>
      <string>DDR4</string>
      <key>Vendor</key>
      <string>Samsung</string>
    </dict>
  </array>
  <key>SlotCount</key>
  <integer>4</integer>
</dict>

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
What SMBIOS are you using?

Are you using the i9 to install/run High Sierra or Mojave?

With your main components you should be running Mojave 10.14.5, with an iMac 19.1 SMBIOS.

The iMac 19.1 and 18.1/2/3 systems all can use 16GB RAM sticks, so it won't be hard coded to not accept 16GB sticks.

osxtra

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9-9900K
GPU
nVidia Titan XP
Ah, my bad, still had it as an 18,2

Had been using 16GB sticks on High Sierra, was trying to switch to 32; they're the ones that panic.

Alas, for the moment Mojave and above are not possible as I want to keep using the Titan XP card that was working in High Sierra. So, must for now stick with that OS, unless I can "trick" Mojave into using the older 10.13.6 web drivers.

Verbose mode immediately told me that the OS was not supported 19,1, so guess I'll be using the old Corsair sticks and waiting on nVidia.

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
You need to be running Mojave 10.14.5 for the iMac 19.1 SMBIOS to work. It was only introduced with a special version of Mojave 10.14.4, which is not available for download.

Sorry we haven't found a better resolution.

I found the Web Drivers on Mojave to be rubbish. I had to remove my GTX 980 Ti and replace it with a Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 before I could update to Mojave. I waited for Nvidia and Apple to come to some arrangement, but that looks unlikely, so I only did the update recently. This is a downgrade as far as I see it, as the GTX 980 Ti is a much better GPU. It is currently sitting on a shelf, while I think what to do with it.

osxtra

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9-9900K
GPU
nVidia Titan XP
You've been more than helpful, thanks. Feeling stuck. For a variety of reasons don't want to use an ATI card (oh, yeah, they go by another name now). Don't want to give up two screens (the Z390 Ultra has a single display port. Have already re-purposed the previous Z390 WiFi board - which does have a DP and HDMI - as a birthday present). Want to use the increased memory. Don't want another machine I can't work on (the '09 MBP started getting "tired" last year, which is what led me down this path to start with. Over its ten year lifetime, most of the components have been replaced. Try that with a "modern" Mac).

This is starting to feel like the old days of flipping dip switches on a SoundBlaster card, trying to make all the hardware play nice. "Daddy, what's an IRQ?" Certainly keeps one on ones toes.

Guess it's time to root around the forum for alternate GPU recommendations. Take care!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Part of the issue is you are using the most recent Intel CPU and MB chipset. Each additional high end component adds another layer of complexity and possible issues.

The GPU is an easy fix if you feel like downgrading to an AMD card. But make sure you purchase one from Apple’s list, not one that is similar, unless you know the card works out of the box. The MSi and Gigabyte cards are to be avoided, in my opinion.

Latest posts