macOS
Mobo
HP 800 G1
CPU
i7 4790K
GPU
Quadro K600
Hi

Almost a complete newb, have built a couple of hacks in the past using a TonyMac86 guide.

My latest effort is an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower (also have SFF version G1, which I'll hack later), I'm surprised to find that using Clover, I seem to have most things working, not really sure why! Most of all am surprised to have DPort sound working via my Quadra K600 DP out to my 4K monitor with a nice stable picture and good quality sound - just worked by itself!!!! Must be a tribute to Lilu and Whatevergreen programmer skills, not mine.

I've used f4 to download an DSDT, but not sure what or how to patch the multitude of files generated, also not done anything regarding CPU power - is this necessary these days or can I leave it to the system to handle.

Any comments to help improve my installation would be welcome.

I'm wanting to use the hack to edit/store our large photo collection - this will replace a 27 inch iMac with a broken screen that's failing so will need replacement soon.

Many thanks for any help.

I'm attaching my zipped EFI.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have had a quick look through your CLOVER folder and while it is OK and will work with your system, you could improve it with the following changes:

Assumption: you are running macOS Catalina not Big Sur.

SSDT's:
You could generate some custom SSDT's for your System using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and your extracted DSDT.aml, in the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder. These would include the following:
  • SSDT-EC.aml
  • SSDT-HPET.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml
  • Plus some config.plist patches
I would also recommend adding the SSDT-XOSI.aml and associated config.plist rename patch.

Drivers:
I would recommend you replace the /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI - VBoxHfs.efi with HFSPlus.efi, as the latter is a better HFS driver.

Unless you have your system set to play the boot chime you do not need the AudioDxe.efi driver, in fact it is known to slow down the boot time.

Kexts:
You don't need to keep the Off folder. It can safely be deleted.

As you have a USBPorts.kext configured for your system you shouldn't be using the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext for your USB ports. If you added these two kexts while undertaking the USB port discovery, you can remove them, as the ports they enabled/activated should be configured in your USBPorts.kext.

You might want to add the XHCI_unsupported.kext as it may help your system identify the 9-Series USB ports.

AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext are not the latest versions but should be fine.

VirtualSMC.kext and it's associated Sensor kexts are quite a bit behind the current version, which is VirtualSMC 1.2.0, yours is 1.1.4. It might be wise to keep this kext and the sensors closer to the current release version, as it is still underdevelopment.

Themes:
You have the two basic themes present in your /CLOVER/themes folder. I have added a new theme - Catalina - which may brighten up your Clover boot screen. In place of your normal Tonymacx86 theme.

OEM:
I would recommend deleting the SystemProductName folder from the /CLOVER/OEM folder. It serves no purpose with regards your Hack.

Devices: (read from debug.log in Misc folder)
WiFi - Broadcom BCM4360 (14E4:43A0), I take it this works Out of the box and needs no additional kexts or patches. I usually recommend using Acidanthera's AirportBrcmFixup.kext, even with supported Broadcom WiFi cards - https://github.com/acidanthera/AirportBrcmFixup

This kext is good for fixing country codes and making sure the correct kext is loaded in macOS for the Broadcom card, with the addition of a couple of boot arguments. These are shown on the GitHub page for the kext linked above.

If it is a dual WiFi/Bluetooth module, then you may want to look at adding Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRam kexts - https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM, to get the best out of this card.

I am not going to add any kexts for this device, but it is something you should look into, if you use the device and want continuity, handoff and Airdrop to work in macOS with this system.

Clover folder comparison:
The two screenshots below show your current Clover folder (in list mode) compared to what I would use.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 18.35.54.png

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 18.35.44.png

A copy of the edited CLOVER folder, including an edited config.plist, is attached below for you to try.

I would recommend you install Clover_r5119 in UEFI mode, to a spare USB pen drive. Then replace the CLOVER folder created on the USB with the one below.

That way you can try the revised CLOVER folder without messing up any of your current settings. If the system boots quicker, which I would expect it to do, and you are happy with the way it behaves. Then and only then do you replace your current CLOVER folder with the one provided below.

I will provide another post explaining the changes I have made to the config.plist shortly.

One thing I have not changed in the config.plist is the SMBIOS, as iMac15,1 is correct for your Haswell Refresh system. I saw you redacted the SN and other codes from the SMBIOS before posting the EFI folder, wise choice.

I have also attached a copy of the Results folder containing the SSDT's and patches generated using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and your DSDT.aml. Not all the SSDT's are required, those that are have been incorporated in to the attached Clover folder.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, so the revised config.plist I provided in the CLOVER folder attached above has been amended as follows:

ACPI:
  • Rename patches changed, expanded and refreshed
  • Unnecessary Drop Table entries deleted
  • ACPI fixes changed, on tabs 1 and 2
Original config New config
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.20.48.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.20.57.png Comparison view of ACPI tab(s)
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.21.13.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.21.21.png

Boot:
  • Added 5 Second Time out option
  • Enabled NeverHibernate option
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.22.06.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.22.13.png

Boot Graphics and CPU - no changes

Devices:
  • Removed all 0x0 entries in the Fake ID section
  • Added Empty/Headless Framebuffer personality for Intel HD4600 IGPU
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.22.38.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.22.47.png

Disable Drivers - no changes

GUI:
  • Added Mouse double-click speed
  • Deleted Legacy=First, as this is a UEFI compatible system.
  • Added Theme 'Catalina'
  • Added number of Hide volume names, to clean up Clover boot screen.
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.23.13.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.23.23.png

Graphics:
  • Removed 'Inject Intel=true', as WhateverGreen and Empty Framebuffer all that is required when using a discrete graphics card.
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.23.36.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.23.47.png

Kernel and Kext Patches:
  • Added External Icons patch.
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.24.06.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.24.15.png

Rt Variables & SMBIOS - no change

System Parameters:
  • Changed Inject Kexts=Yes to Inject Kexts=Detect
  • Removed Inject System ID=true, as not required since Chameleon bootloader was used.
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.24.39.png Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 20.24.49.png

Hope this explains what options in the config.plist were changed, if not always why.

rymski

macOS
Mobo
HP 800 G1
CPU
i7 4790K
GPU
Quadro K600
Fantastic, thanks a million....will go carefully through your posts and digest, only way to learn.

Much appreciated.