macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
GPU
Radeon RX580 8GB Sapphire Pulse
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to get my first build up and running, but I'm stumped so would be very grateful for any help/advice.

I bought the following components as, having read up on similar builds, it sounded as though the hardware should be compatible without too much faffage:

Gigabyte Z390 Designare (BIOS version 7)
i9 9900k
2 x 32GB Samsung DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHz 288 PIN DIMMs
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

That's everything I have in the system at the moment. Currently, I have the RAM in slots 1 and 3 (one-based, i.e. in the slot closest to the CPU and the slot next-but-one). As I have a very similar setup to this guy, I've used his initial steps to get started: https://www.briskandwise.com/2019/08/my-first-hackintosh-mojave-gigabyte.html

However, I'm not managing to get beyond "End RandomSeed" when trying to install Mojave 10.4.6. Most times it will spit out plus signs on the next line before freezing, but occasionally it will show an "installation couldn't allocate runtime area" error instead.

I've tried using all the versions of the OsxAptioFix drivers with slide=0 set or unset with no success. All combinations do exactly the same thing.

I've also tried seating the RAM in different slots and have set the information for the DIMMs in SMBIOS accordingly*. Again, this makes no difference whatsoever. I've also monkeyed about with various settings in the BIOS, but again, nothing seems to make any difference.

* I've set the speed to 2667 because this is what shows up in the BIOS. That said, I have tried 2666 as well but it seemed to make no difference.

I do wonder if this might be because I'm using 32GB DIMMs as I couldn't find any other builds using more than 16GB DIMMs. Could that be significant? (I hope not, because I've got another 64GB on order as the whole purpose of this build was to end up with a machine with a heck of a lot of RAM!)

Perhaps also relevant is that there is no option to disable the serial port in my BIOS, nor is there an option to enable XMP as mentioned on the other guy's post.

Also possibly relevant: I've currently got the graphics card in the slot in the middle. It's too wide to fit in the slot closest to the case. I might just about be able to squeeze it in in the slot closest to the CPU, but it's definitely most comfortable where it is now from a clearance point of view. I'm currently attaching a single Dell monitor via HDMI.

My EFI folder is attached.

Many thanks!
Michael

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you know the Memory Type, Speed, Manufacturer, model and part number for your RAM sticks then we can deal with the memory issue by adding this information to the config.plist > SMBIOS section.

With regards your RX GPU not being in Slot 1, this may be detrimental to your systems graphics performance. Slot-1 is usually the pci-e x16 slot, slot-2, 3, or 4 are usually x8 or x4 pci-e. If you are using a custom SSDT for your RX580 then it is likely the SSDT calls Slot-1 and will need to be amended before it can be used. Have you selected an alternative default graphics slot in the Bios, again it is usually Slot-1when a discrete GPU is installed.

I am happy to have a look at your /EFI/CLOVER folder later today.

I think you need to be a bit more thorough with your Bios inspection as the I/O serial and XMP options will be present, they just may not appear as you expect.

mikemm

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
GPU
Thanks Edhawk.

I've already added the memory information to the config.plist SMBIOS section but unfortunately it hasn't helped.

I'll have a go at moving the graphics card into slot 1 when I get the chance. Is that likely just to cause performance issues or could it be the cause of the problem I'm experiencing? I've tried setting the default graphics slot both to 1 and 2 in the BIOS, but that seems not to make any difference, at least with as far as I'm getting. (I'm not using any custom SSDTs.)

If you do get the chance to look over my Clover folder at some point, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

Incidentally, I've been in the BIOS going through each and every sub-option for what must be the 20th time and I'm pretty sure those two options aren't there. I can't explain the lack of the serial port, but I have read online that some memory sticks don't support XMP, which could explain the lack of that particular option.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No part number for the two DIMMS! Leaving the Serial number as 'UNKNOWN' is ok, but you need to add the part number. Setting the correct Channel Type and SlotCount would also be beneficial, although not essential.

The items you can't find in your Bios are definitley present:

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 16.41.28.png XMP settings, top item in bottom group

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 16.42.29.png XMP settings.

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 16.43.37.png Serial Port option can be found under- Super IO Configuration, marked with Red bullet point 12th item in list, 4th bullet point.

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 16.43.52.png Serial Port text from manual, which is linked for reference purposes.

Page where Gigiabyte Z390 Designare Motherboard manual can be downloaded - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10/support#support-manual

I'm surprised your system boots at all, your config is pretty much empty of any of the necessary patches, fixes and options required for your motherboard and CPU. Your CLOVER folder is also lacking a number of essential drivers and kexts.

I have attached a CLOVER folder (Z390-CLOVER) for you to use. It is based on a folder I helped create with another member on this site (Abdo), who managed to get his system running 100%.

It contains the following:
  • A number of custom SSDT's for the CNVI, DTGP, USB ports, RX580 discrete GPU and Titan Ridge Thunderbolt add-on card.
  • All the necessary drivers (UEFI) and Kexts required for the i9-9900K CPU and Z390 Designare motherboard.
The SSDT-UIAC activates the USB ports as shown in the two images below:

Designer Rear IO Layer v3_resize.png Rear I/O plate Z390 Designare USB ports

All motherboard USB ports_resize.png Z390 Designare motherboard USB ports

You need to rename the Z390-CLOVER folder as CLOVER and copy and paste it to the EFI folder on your USB pen drive.

Attachments

mikemm

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
GPU
Thank you very much. I will give that a go tomorrow.

I looked in the manual for the motherboard myself to see where to find those two options. I'm not at the computer right now but I am almost certain they're not there, unless I've been staring at the screen for so long my brain's started filtering things out. My phone's camera sucks but I'll try to take a reasonably legible photo of the relevant BIOS screens tomorrow to check I'm not going mad!

mikemm

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
GPU
I've now moved the graphics card into slot 1 and have replaced the Clover folder on my USB key. Unfortunately, I can't see any way to boot the OS X installer when I start up using this config. The menu gives me the option to "Boot Windows from System" or "Boot Windows from Training Material", but I don't have Windows installed on my system. I've tried poking about with the conflig.plist to remove everything from the hidden list and the 'Scan' node (taking inspiration from this page https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-clover-shows-two-boot-options-for-windows-efi.243457), but this just gave me a third option: "Boot Windows from Windows". The only other change I made to the config.plist was to switch on verbose mode and add the part IDs for my DIMMs.

I've attached two (bad) photos of my BIOS too. As you can see, the Super IO and XMP options really aren't there.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikemm

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
GPU
UPDATE: Replacing CLOVERX64.efi with the version I was using before (I'm not sure how they differ or whether that's the right thing to do) enables me to boot into the installer. However, I'm getting stuck at exactly the same place as before.