hllchan

macOS
Mobo
Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
GTX-770-2GB
Hi all, new to the forum and hope I can seek for some of your helps....

My system: ASUS-Z97-AR+i7-4790K | 32GB-DDR-1600|GTX-770-2B
OS1: NVME 1TB onboard - BigSur [OC 0.65] boots okay
OS2: SATA 2TB SSD - Catalina [OC 0.71] boots okay
OS3: HDD 500GB (2.5") - Mojave [OC 0.65] boots okay

Questions 1: I'm currently put all EFIs in individual disc, and switching different OS by bios switch - F8 boot option.. (am I correct? or any better methods ?)
Questions 2: SMBIOS - I'm all using the same iMac15,1-with a unique Serial #, UUID and MLB#.
I'm currently signed in (apple-id) in big-sur only, am afraid to sign-in by another OSss (i.e. Catalina or Mojave)
Am I correct ? or should I put 3 different SMBIOS in different OS ?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You only need one EFI folder for all three versions of macOS. As they all contain and use the same SSDT's, drivers, kexts and config.plist.

I have a nearly identical system, same CPU, Z97 Gigabyte motherboard with an AMD RX580 dGPU.

I have Catalina on one NVMe drive, Big Sur on a second NVMe drive with the only EFI folder on the EFI partition of the Catalina drive. With this single EFI I can boot both OS's form the OpenCore 0.7.1 GUI boot screen.

I have Windows 10 on a SATA drive, which I boot from the Bios Boot Menu when I need to, which is becoming less and less.

You are correct one SMBIOS will work with all three macOS drives. But you only need the SMBIOS in one place, i.e. the config.plist in your OC 0.7.1 /EFI/OC folder.

You need to make sure that the various OS's are differentiated in the System Preferences > Sharing pane. By this my Catalina and Big Sur drives are named as follows: 'Edward's iMac1-Cat' & 'Edward's iMac1-BS', Catalina Sharing pane shown below.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 12.26.26.png

Hope this helps.

hllchan

macOS
Mobo
Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
GTX-770-2GB
You're super Edhawk. I splitted 3 EFIs as I encounter failure to boot into Catalina. I will give it try, and many thanks !

hllchan

macOS
Mobo
Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
GTX-770-2GB
hi Edhawk, it is a bit wired.
My OC065 can boot into BigSur / Mojave without problem; but it crashed when it boots into Catalina. My OC071 can only boot into Catalina only; try booting into the others two but fails.

It looks like my EFI has something wrong.
I attached with my EFI below, can you help and guide me to the right direction ?

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try this OpenCore 0.7.1 EFI folder. It is based on my Z97 / i7-4790K system, which works with Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. Use the whole folder as it is. Do not delete or add anything to the OC sub-folders. All you need to add is your system's MLB, ROM, Serial number and System UUID and it should work just fine with your Z97 / i7-4790K system.

Do not use your DSDT.aml with this EFI folder. You don't need it with a Haswell Refresh system.

You will need to Clear Nvram and Reset the system when you use this OC EFI folder, to clear any existing information in the NVRAM.

Clearing the Nvram should be done whenever the OC folder is edited, so only the new information is used to boot the system.

Attachments

hllchan

macOS
Mobo
Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
GTX-770-2GB
Great thanks to share with you.! With your EFI, I can boot into Catalina and BigSur (but not Mojave - I guess the Mojave is installed in a 2.5" SATA disc but never mind, it was a test system. ) As I need a few OS partition to make sure this system is bootable so it won't harm my production PC. ~~ ;):coffee::coffee::coffee:

Everything is working now: Bluetooth; USB2 & USB3; onboard LAN; and I'm so glad my onboard sound fixed (which I can switch between my external sound card and internal headphone while I'm doing my work. Yours EFI fixed the power management problem, as I experienced an auto re-start whenever I power down my HacMac.

The only area I added is a patch in the Kernel area, as I have my AQC107-10GB NIC doesn't work with your EFI. (It still doesn't work in Catalina but it works in BigSur-wired)

BTW, another opinion to seek for your advice:
I have another machine (which is currently on Win10) XEON-E5-2620V3 on Huananzhi X99-8M + RX550; I spend too much time on this but never make it works. Do you think it is worth to make it an old-HacMac ? (in terms of performance, as it has an onboard NVME slot, + 2 x PCIe x 1 - I put one in use of WIFI and one in-use of another NVMEx1 adaptor). I was considering about the time spending onto this may be too much wasted.

As this spare PC, I would like to install a Legacy system like 10.6. I have a bunch of Adobe CS3; Final Cut Studio Pro 5.1 suite; Toast software in my storage and I need those for some work. BIG thanks to you !

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Good to hear you have your main Haswell rig up and running :)

Your other machine containing the XEON-E5-2620V3 on Huananzhi X99-8M + RX550 GPU is a bit more tricky to Hack, as it is not a standard desktop system.
  1. The Xeon E5-2620 v3 CPU should work with macOS up to and including Catalina, not sure about Big Sur. Haswell systems don't support OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or OS X Lion (10.7), OS X / macOS support for the Haswell system started with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4, if I recall correctly. But you wouldn't need to install anything that old. Mojave would run perfectly well on this Server/Workstation type board.
  2. The X99 chipset used by the Motherboard requires a lot of fixes, patches and custom SSDT's to get macOS working. There are a number of posts and guides for the Huananzhi X99-8M motherboard. I recall working with someone not too long ago on one of these boards. It is similar to the Gigabyte X99 boards that were available in Europe and the US.
  3. Your RX550 has a Lexa Core and this is not natively supported and will never work in macOS.
  4. As the Xeon lacks an IGPU you do not have a compatible GPU in this system. You would need to replace the RX550 with a supported Nvidia Kepler dGPU as present in your other system, or a compatible AMD dGPU.
  5. A discrete Graphics card from the AMD HD7000 series or newer should support Apples Metal graphics and would be suitable. Unfortunately your RX550 is one of the few that isn't supported in macOS.
  6. If you have another Nvidia Card for use in this system that is not natively supported by macOS, you could run High Sierra and the Nvidia Web Drivers.
  7. NVME adapters and drives do not work well in x1 PCIe slots. They usually require x4 slots. You would be better served having the NVME in the onboard slot run macOS with anything else on a SATA SSD or Hard Drive, for data storage or another OS (Windows 10) etc.
Let me know if you decide to proceed with this Xeon system and which discrete GPU you will be using. I may be able to find the previous post/EFI for the other X99 Huananzhi board.

macOS
Mobo
Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
GTX-770-2GB
Thanks Edhawk, your message point me to a great direction and got my XEON-E5-2620 Working now !... I have been suffering by this MB, and never had such a pain experience on it!

Issues 1: BIOS
I did a lot of research on the MB: Huananzhi X99-8M but there are only a few success case, but the X99-8F has quite a lot. The root cause is the bios from the manufacture which no matter which I did, I cannot boots to the OS. The original BIOS has too many options, and the wired setting, is disabling the CSM , no matter what I do, it just cannot be turn off. (according the bios, it should turn the video bios from legacy --> UEFI and then I can disabled it) but whenever I turned off the video from legacy to UEFI, it just black screen.:mad::mad::mad:

Issue 2: GPU: RX550 - I got it working ! :love::love: it save me 60 bucks as I purchase it from China before, and I run it from my old H55M system, and it does work. So I guess, I should keep it a try.

Thank you for your advise, I change my WIN10 nvme into the PCIe x 1 slot (with an adaptor); and swap an ADATA-2000-250GB as boot OS to run Catalina. With a SSD-running BigSur; another SATA 500-2.5' running Mojave and it can all booting into those OSssss happily..

The outstanding should be the bluetooth driver, and doesn't have time to tidy up the EFI as when booting up, it has quite a lot of error message.

BTW: there is a wired file sitting inside the Kexts folder and name: alc-verb. Doesn't know what its function. do you have any idea ?

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I am really pleased you have been able to use your RX550 GPU. I am surprised it works, but yours must be one of the few RX 550's that do not use the Lexa Core/Chip. What make is your RX 550?

What make of bluetooth module are you using, Broadcom or Intel? How is it connected to your system?

You can delete the alc-verb app from the Kexts folder. It is only required for troubleshooting ALC codec issues, as far as I can tell. It is provided as part of the standard AppleALC.kext download but is not usually required for the kext to work, and definitely not in your /OC/Kexts folder. If you are to use this you would do so from within macOS, not via a bootloader.

Your EFI folder looks OK.

Only thing you might want to consider is you have both SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml and SSDT-EC0.aml present in the /OC/ACPI folder and both registered in the config.plist. You don't need both of these SSDT's.

SSDT-EC0.aml works with this ACPI address - SB_.PCI0.SBRG.EC0, if this is the EC address contained in your motherboards DSDT.aml then this might be the one to retain. It will be loaded faster as it only has the single address for the system to lookup during the boot process.

The SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml also contains this ACPI address as well as a lot of others. It also provides your system with USB power settings.

As you don't have a separate SSDT-USBX.aml, which you would need to add if you deleted SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml, so this might be a better option to retain.

The fact you have both of these SSDT's may be the cause of the error messages you are seeing.

macOS
Mobo
Z97-AR
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
GTX-770-2GB
I put this little card in one of the PCIe x 1 slot, which is in between the CPU and the GPU one. It is the AX200NGW. Last year, I put this wifi card in my H55 system, and it works.
Just did some research, and found the kext: AirportItIwm.kext; added to the OC\Kexts\ and updated the config.plist, wifi if working with BigSur now ! (but doesn't work well in Catalina)

( I wonder, if this is just a wifi-card or it capable to do both? bluetooth+wifi ?) If not, I may just go and get an USB bluetooth as my other mac works like charm with this.

The RX550-4GB, is a LP card and with 2 x HDMI port. I got it from China.
Not sure about the brand but looking into the VID(1002) DID(67FF) it is a brand from Baffin - RX550. This is an interesting card, as I build my past machine, I was looking for a LP and slim AMD card and that's why I purchase it from Taobao. Last time I load, and it detects as RX560; but now it is RX550 (wired)

I have deleted the SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml and add the SSDT-USBX.aml as advice, it boots fine. Thank you very much !

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That is a good low profile graphics card. Obviously having a Baffin core/chipset means it is compatible with macOS. The majority of RX550 cards have a Lexa core/chipset and are not compatible and should be avoided at all costs when running macOS.

You need to look at adding the Intel Bluetooth Firmware/kext/Injector for your Bluetooth to work in macOS - https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/IntelBluetoothFirmware

Things changed with the release of Big Sur so what worked previously needs to be updated to suit the new OS. I personally don't use any Intel WiFi/BT cards so have little experience using these devices.

Some Apple features that work with a Broadcom WiFI/BT card may not work with the Intel combo card.