MickRW

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
Intel i5-9600 3.7Ghz
GPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT
Am new to Hackintosher.com, firstly wold like to say thanks to all the guides and their creators who helped me with building my first Hackintosh.

I am having problems with a graphics card, Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX5700 XT, when I first started with the Hackintosh, last year, I was using Clover and the graphics card worked fine. When Big Sur came along I switched to OpenCore.

Since using OpenCore I can't get the graphics card to work, black screen after the Apple Logo, replaced it with a Radeon RX580, which works fine.

Followed the "Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide" for the installation, have tried all the pointers suggest online with no luck.

I even fitted both graphics cards, let it boot with the 5700 connected, after a couple of minutes switched over to the 580 which showed the system had fully booted to logon screen.

Would appriciate any help. Many Thanks

Mick

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The normal issue with the RX 5700 XT is a black screen on boot. This is usually fixed by adding the agdpmod=pikera boot argument to the config.plist.

The boot argument would look like this in ProperTree plist editor:

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 16.16.12.png

I assume you have tried this as you said you have tried all the pointers on line with no luck. This would be the main pointer for successfully using any RX5000-series dGPU.

Post a copy of your OpenCore folder if the fix above doesn't help, so we can see what you are using. Make sure you delete/redact the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID entries from the config.plist before you attach the folder to a post here.

MickRW

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
Intel i5-9600 3.7Ghz
GPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT
The normal issue with the RX 5700 XT is a black screen on boot. This is usually fixed by adding the agdpmod=pikera boot argument to the config.plist.

The boot argument would look like this in ProperTree plist editor:

View attachment 11993

I assume you have tried this as you said you have tried all the pointers on line with no luck. This would be the main pointer for successfully using any RX5000-series dGPU.

Post a copy of your OpenCore folder if the fix above doesn't help, so we can see what you are using. Make sure you delete/redact the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID entries from the config.plist before you attach the folder to a post here.
Edhawk hi,

Thanks very much for your response. Did try the agdpmod=pikera but that did not seem to make any differnce.

Attache is a copy of my EFI folder

Cheers

Mick

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder contains a number of kexts you don't need. Some even clash when injected together, i.e. USBInjectAll.kext and USBMAp.kext.

Current contents of your Kexts folder:
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 17.56.29.png

Revised contents of your kext folder:
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 17.57.34.png

Not sure you need the USBWakeFixup.kext. Your custom USBMap.kext should resolve any USB issues you might have been facing previously.

That goes the same for the SSDT-USBW.aml you are using in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.

You appear to be missing a common SSDT, SSDT-AWAC.aml, which most Coffee Lake systems require when booting macOS. I think the Z370 boards don't need this SSDT but your Z390 board will need it.

Your config.plist:

Unnecessary EHC1 to EH01 rename patch in the ACPI section of your config, your Z390 board doesn't contain any ECHx USB controllers. Same can be said for the XHC1 to XHC patch, I doubt your DSDT.aml contains a device named XHC1, usually on the Z390 boards it is XHCI that is present.
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 18.18.58.png Unnecessary USB rename patches.

You don't need the multitude of IGPU entries in the DeviceProperties. As you have a discrete GPU you should only have the Headless/empty framebuffer (0300983E) present in your config. No need for all the other framebuffer-con0, con1 and con2 entries.
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 18.07.28.png IGPU entries, overkill and unnecessary for headless framebuffer.

You have two blank kext entries in the config.plist, these can and should be deleted.
As should the entries for the unnecessary kexts shown in the screenshot above.
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 18.07.35.png Blank kext entries to be removed

You don't need the Enable Trim for SSD patch, this is dealt with by the Kernel > Quirks ThirdartyDrives entry being enabled.
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 18.09.39.png Unnecessary Trim patch

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 18.09.49.png Trim Quirk in OC

You have a lot of tools in the /EFI/OC/Tools folder, only three of two are named in the config.plist, CleanNvram.efi and OpenShell.efi. You can delete the other used tools from this folder.
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 18.18.30.png Tools folder, lots of unused tools.

You appear to be using OpenCore 0.6.5. You might want to think about updating OC to the latest version, which currently stands at OC 0.7.1. There were some significant changes to the OC setup over the past 6 months.

Hope this helps.

MickRW

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
Intel i5-9600 3.7Ghz
GPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT
Your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder contains a number of kexts you don't need. Some even clash when injected together, i.e. USBInjectAll.kext and USBMAp.kext.

View attachment 11998

Revised contents of your kext folder: View attachment 11999

Not sure you need the USBWakeFixup.kext. Your custom USBMap.kext should resolve any USB issues you might have been facing previously.

That goes the same for the SSDT-USBW.aml you are using in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.

You appear to be missing a common SSDT, SSDT-AWAC.aml, which most Coffee Lake systems require when booting macOS. I think the Z370 boards don't need this SSDT but your Z390 board will need it.

Your config.plist:

Unnecessary EHC1 to EH01 rename patch in the ACPI section of your config, your Z390 board doesn't contain any ECHx USB controllers. Same can be said for the XHC1 to XHC patch, I doubt your DSDT.aml contains a device named XHC1, usually on the Z390 boards it is XHCI that is present.
View attachment 12006 Unnecessary USB rename patches.

You don't need the multitude of IGPU entries in the DeviceProperties. As you have a discrete GPU you should only have the Headless/empty framebuffer (0300983E) present in your config. No need for all the other framebuffer-con0, con1 and con2 entries.
View attachment 12000 IGPU entries, overkill and unnecessary for headless framebuffer.

You have two blank kext entries in the config.plist, these can and should be deleted.
View attachment 12001 Blank kext entries to be removed

You don't need the Enable Trim for SSD patch, this is dealt with by the Kernel > Quirks ThirdartyDrives entry being enabled.
View attachment 12002 Unnecessary Trim patch

View attachment 12003 Trim Quirk in OC

You have a lot of tools in the /EFI/OC/Tools folder, only three of two are named in the config.plist, CleanNvram.efi and OpenShell.efi. You can delete the other used tools from this folder.
View attachment 12004 Tools folder, lots of unused tools.

You appear to be using OpenCore 0.6.5. You might want to think about updating OC to the latest version, which currently stands at OC 0.7.1. There were some significant changes to the OC setup over the past 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Edhawk hi,

Many thanks for going through my files and folders so quickly, looks like I didn't do a very good job :).

Will go through all the suggestions you have made and let you know the out come.

Cheers

Mick

MickRW

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
Intel i5-9600 3.7Ghz
GPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT

View attachment 11998

Revised contents of your kext folder: View attachment 11999

Your config.plist:

View attachment 12006 Unnecessary USB rename patches.

View attachment 12000 IGPU entries, overkill and unnecessary for headless framebuffer.

View attachment 12001 Blank kext entries to be removed

View attachment 12002 Unnecessary Trim patch

View attachment 12003 Trim Quirk in OC

View attachment 12004 Tools folder, lots of unused tools.

Hope this helps.
Edhawk Hi,

You Sir are a real scholar, thank you so much. Carried out the actions you suggested and now I have a working RX5700 XT graphics card.

I do have one minor issue you may help me with, when it boots it display the basic resolution, I have to set it to a scaled resolution, is the any way I can set the default to be my screen resolution which is 3840x2160.

Cheers

Mick

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Are you talking about the resolution used by OpenCore or the resolution you get when running macOS?

If OpenCore you can set a custom resolution in the config.plist, it is usually set to 'max' but you can enter 3840x2160 as an alternative. I've not bothered much with the resolution in OpenCore but the entry you would need to change is highlighted in the NVRAM > Output section, shown below:

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 19.48.34.png

Change max to 3840x2160 and your OC resolution should change to match. Well that is how it is supposed to work.

If you are looking to change the resolution in macOS do the following:

Open System Preferences > Displays
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 19.50.59.png

Click on the 'Scaled' option, it is normally set on the 'Default for Display'
Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 19.51.10.png

The scaled option should show you a number of different resolutions, select the one you want to use. As my screens are both 2560x1440 that is the maximum resolution shown for my 'Scaled' options.

If the resolution you want to use is not visible, select Default for display.
Then select 'Scaled' but at the same time press the cmd/alt button on your keypad, which will allow the system to display more resolutions.

Setting the display resolution in this system preference pane should be retained after a shutdown or reboot. Test to see if it works.

MickRW

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
Intel i5-9600 3.7Ghz
GPU
Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT
Are you talking about the resolution used by OpenCore or the resolution you get when running macOS?

If OpenCore you can set a custom resolution in the config.plist, it is usually set to 'max' but you can enter 3840x2160 as an alternative. I've not bothered much with the resolution in OpenCore but the entry you would need to change is highlighted in the NVRAM > Output section, shown below:

View attachment 12007

Change max to 3840x2160 and your OC resolution should change to match. Well that is how it is supposed to work.

If you are looking to change the resolution in macOS do the following:

Open System Preferences > Displays
View attachment 12008
Click on the 'Scaled' option, it is normally set on the 'Default for Display'
View attachment 12009

The scaled option should show you a number of different resolutions, select the one you want to use. As my screens are both 2560x1440 that is the maximum resolution shown for my 'Scaled' options.

If the resolution you want to use is not visible, select Default for display.
Then select 'Scaled' but at the same time press the cmd/alt button on your keypad, which will allow the system to display more resolutions.

Setting the display resolution in this system preference pane should be retained after a shutdown or reboot. Test to see if it works.
Thats what I have done, selected Scaled and set it to my screen resolution. Will leave it at that and won't bother changing OpenCore settings.

Cheers

Mick