Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
It is unlikely to be released until September when Catalina is ready for general release.

I would recommend restoring one of your Mojave backups and waiting for Catalina to be out of beta testing before you try installing the new OS on your production machine.

foulgernz

macOS
10.12.x
Its a test server. They should be clever enough to know some beta testers would be using server.app and automatically look for it at update launch. Either that or warn there is an old version of server that won't work with Catalina. Apple is so onto it in so many ways and yet fall down on some simple things

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Server App has been crippled since the last release for Sierra. Apple stripped out most of the functionality from the Server App with the release of High Sierra.

I have two HP Microserver's running macOS Sierra with the Server App in stalled on both, they provide all my Server needs, File Sharing, Users, Passwords, Time Machine, DNS, Certificates, Message storage, Email (for my two Domains) etc.

I doubt the Server App for Catalina will be worth installing, as the most recent version I looked at only contained Profile Manager, all the other functionality had been removed. Some has been moved to High Sierra and Mojave but other aspects have just been culled and lost from the app.

If you were wondering the Sierra Server App works just fine with High Sierra, Mojave and the Catalina Beta users, including Time Machine to a Network Location, as Time Machine requires the disk storing the backups to be formatted HFS+ you can't use an APFS drive for Time Machine.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

foulgernz

macOS
10.12.x
The Server App has been crippled since the last release for Sierra. Apple stripped out most of the functionality from the Server App with the release of High Sierra.

I have two HP Microserver's running macOS Sierra with the Server App in stalled on both, they provide all my Server needs, File Sharing, Users, Passwords, Time Machine, DNS, Certificates, Message storage, Email (for my two Domains) etc.

I doubt the Server App for Catalina will be worth installing, as the most recent version I looked at only contained Profile Manager, all the other functionality had been removed. Some has been moved to High Sierra and Mojave but other aspects have just been culled and lost from the app.

If you were wondering the Sierra Server App works just fine with High Sierra, Mojave and the Catalina Beta users, including Time Machine to a Network Location, as Time Machine requires the disk storing the backups to be formatted HFS+ you can't use an APFS drive for Time Machine.
Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer - much appreciated. Is there any third party server software that you are aware of?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No, I am not aware of any third-party software that will do the same on a Mac/Hack.

The Alternatives usually involve switching to ClearOS, Ubuntu Server or a similar Linux standalone server system, both of the two mentioned would provide the same services as the Server App, both are free and will work in a Mac environment. I have played with both to see if I liked either, both have reasonable GUI's and can be configured for specific Server services. ClearOS being the easier of the two in my opinion.

Then there is Windows Server Essentials, which is reasonably expensive and isn't as Mac friendly.

This is why I have the two HP Microserver's running Sierra.

Latest posts