Slow Clover Boot Time From The Start Till Desktop

macOS
CPU
3.39 GHz Intel Core i7
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB
I recently bought a hackintosh I loaned previously from my friend, and I remember having this machine to boot (it was already High Sierra back then and still running on High Sierra at the moment) really fast. Well at least as fast as my other iMac 2015 (on Catalina) boots.

But for some reason (I think it started when I used Logic Pro X and having some plugins installed) it sort of gotten slow. Like painfully longer-than-a-Pink-Floyd-song slow. I prefer using the hackintosh than the iMac as the hardwares are petty solid for the work I'm doing. I am definitely new to this, and would love to ask if there's anything I can do to get the normal boot time back. I've attached the plist file in case if anyone can suss out what went wrong with my settings.

OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
Processor: 3.39 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Provide a copy of the rest of the Clover folder, the config.plist only tells us part of the story.

If you can provide a copy of the Bootlog.txt and your IOReg that would also be helpful. The Bootlog can be obtained using Clover Configurator or Hackintool applications.

Your system IOReg can be obtained by using the IORegistryExplorer application, which can be downloaded via this link - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/. Read the instructions on the page linked.

If you have any third-party kexts, i.e. FakeSMC.kext, Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext etc. installed to the /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders please confirm which kexts you or your friend have installed in either location. These might need to be removed and placed in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. Read this guide by Jaymonkey over at Tonymacx86 on why and how to do this - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Which version of Clover are you booting?
This will be stated on the Clover Boot Screen each time you boot your Hack. It might also be confirmed in a Clover Installation log file, that can be found in the macOS Hight Sierra EFI partition's EFI folder. You may need to update your Clover installation to Clover_r5119 or Clover_r5120, to make use of the new features in Clover. Whatever you do do not use any version newer than Clover_r5120 as they are a mess, or were the last time I looked.

macOS
CPU
3.39 GHz Intel Core i7
GPU
Hi there!

Apologize for the slow reply, I was away for a bit.

Thank you for the thorough reply by the way. Tinkering with hacks is still new to me, and such details are helpful!

I have attached a copy of the bootlog and IORegistryExplorer file. As for the third part kexts, I supposed it's already placed in the Other folder by default (screenshot attached). I am currently booting on Clover 4920.

Let me know if you need anything further? I will do my best to provide it. Thank you so much!
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 12.33.11 PM.png
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Where is the rest of the CLOVER folder? The config.plist on its own is not enough information.

The bootlog shows your system is really struggling through the boot processes. It takes 5 minutes and 40 seconds to complete what my similar Haswell system completes in under 10 seconds.

macOS
CPU
3.39 GHz Intel Core i7
GPU
Hi,

Sorry I missed that one. Here you go!

Yeah, the boot time is that long.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Rad the whole post, I have gone to some length to explain what your need to do with the revised Clover folder I have provided. Do not try to shortcut the process as it may have adverse consequences.

As I said above I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. This CLOVER folder is based on a Haswell i7-4770/Z87X/GTX780Ti system. It uses the iMac 15,1 SMBIOS.

It contains the kexts, drivers and SSDT's I would use for your similar Dell (Haswell) system.

The config.plist has been seriously edited and changed, as yours missed a lot of helpful entries.

I have revised a number of the kexts and drivers from your previous folder, as you had a number that were not required, clashed with other drivers and prevented your system from running as it should (NullCPUPowerManagement.kext being the biggest offender).

I have changed the Clover boot theme to 'Catalina', this will work with High Sierra. I have done this so you can see when you are booting from this folder and not your usual one.

DO NOT replace your current folder with this one, YET.

You need to test this folder to see how it works, to ensure it boots your system and that it doesn't need tweaking. Only when you are sure it works should you replace your current CLOVER folder with the one attached.

I would recommend you do the following:
  1. Get hold of a spare/empty USB pen drive, doesn't need to be large 1GB will do.
  2. Erase the pen drive in Disk Utility with the settings shown in this screenshot:
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 12.58.24.png Settings to create a 'CLOVER' USB pen drive for testing.
  3. Install Clover_r5119, copy attached, to the USB pen drive in UEFI mode, follow these steps.
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.07.29.png Open Clover installation package, yours will be Clover_r5119
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.23.png Select Continue, enter password if requested
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.31.png Select Continue
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.43.png Select Continue
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.04.png Select 'Change Install Location' button
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.56.png Select your USB pen drive, not your macOS drive, select Continue
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.04.png Select the 'Customise' button
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.18.png Make sure you have the top two entries highlighted in the Red rectangle selected, the other entries don't matter as they are dealt with by the new CLOVER folder. Select 'Install' button.
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.34.png Enter your password and select 'Install Software'
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.10.58.png Close the installer when it completes.
  4. You should now have two Partition icons on your desktop as shown in the screenshot below.
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.14.png Open the EFI partition
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.27.png The EFI partition will contain an EFI folder, open this folder.
    • Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.36.png The EFI folder will contain a BOOT and CLOVER folder.
  5. Replace the CLOVER folder on the USB with the one I provided.
  6. The USB is now ready to boot, Shutdown your system with the USB still installed.
  7. Start your system with the USB installed, press the F2 or F12 key to bring up the Boot Menu.
  8. Select the UEFI partition for your USB pen drive, make sure you select the UEFI partition as that is where the new CLOVER installation is located.
  9. This will boot the new CLOVER folder. You will see a Clover boot screen similar to this:
    • screenshot0.png Catalina boot theme, when you see this screen you will know you are booted from the correct CLOVER folder. You can check the bottom right corner of the screen to see which version of Clover you are booting. It should say 5119.
  10. Select your High Sierra Icon and boot your system.
  11. The System will boot in Verbose mode, with lots of text on the screen, this is just required while we test the Clover folder, once it has been set as 'Working' the verbose boot argument can be removed from the config.plist.
  12. Do not panic or worry too much, if a Kernel Panic occurs. Simply take a photo of the screen and post it here.
You need to think of this as the starting point, not the final product. There may be some changes, fixes and tweaks required to get this CLOVER folder working as well as it can for your system.

If the system boots in to High Sierra from the revised CLOVER folder, provide a copy of the Bootlog.txt, so I can see what difference the new folder has made to your systems boot process etc.

Let me know how you get on.

Attachments

macOS
CPU
3.39 GHz Intel Core i7
GPU
Thank you for the whole steps given! Sorry I was away from it a little. I will do as told, and will let you know the outcome!