Snowleopard not making EFI to install from?

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
Motherboard = ASROCK H77M-ITX
CPU = I5 2500K Sandy Bridge

I am haing loads of issues with setting up Snowleopard, Its kind of on, but I get lots of issues with it booting.

I have everything setup for EFI, I boot with the IVY Bridge iBoot CD and then insert the Snow DVD and take it from there!

Now, the BIOS has a new entry ... Clover Start boot.efi at Mac OSX and Mac OSX is the name I gave to the Mac HD

The trouble is, if I try this, it simply does not boot. I have set it to try this onl its own and it does nothing. a quick flicker and its back.

It does however boot if I choose HD0 in the BIOS.

So, its certainly NOT booting in EFI mode.

I am having lots of issues with getting it to boot reliably and I am wondering about this now?

Or am I just confusing myself?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
From reading your posts I would say you seem to be making things more difficult for yourself.

You should ideally be using Chameleon or Tonymac's Chimera boot loader with Snow Leopard. Early versions of Clover struggled to work with this OS.

The iBoot CD will be using Chimera/Chameleon not Clover.

Here are a few questions for you to think about:
  • Have you edited the /Extra/Extensions folder to suit your system?
  • Have you edited the org.chameleon.Boot.plist to suit your system?
  • Which SMBios are you using? - iMac 12.2 would be a good match for the Sandy Bridge CPU
I would recommend the following:
  1. I would change the name of the drive to Mac_OSX, so there are no gaps in the name, as OSX doesn't like gaps in drive names.
  2. Install Chameleon boot loader to the Mac_OSX drive. Copy of the boot loader is attached below.
  3. Edit the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist with Chameleon Wizard to suit your system.
  4. Add any necessary kext(s) to the /Extra/Extensions folder for your LAN, keyboard, Audio etc including FakeSMC.kext.
  5. I would suggest you have a look on the iBoot CD to see what is currently being used and tweak it to better suit your system.
I have attached a copy of Chameleon Boot Loader for you to use.
I have attached a copy of Chameleon Wizard for you to use.
I have attached a copy of Kext Wizard for you to use, to install any kexts to /System/Library/Extensions if required plus it can be used to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache.

You will probably need to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext until you get the CPU power management sorted. Copy attached below.

You may also need KernelPatcher.dylib and keylayout.dylib, copy of both modules are attached. These should be added to the /Extra/modules folder. They can also be selected as part of the Chameleon installation.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
>>From reading your posts I would say you seem to be making things more difficult for yourself.

Aint that the truth

>>You should ideally be using Chameleon or Tonymac's Chimera boot loader with Snow Leopard. Early versions of Clover struggled to work with this OS.

Oh no, sorry, yes, I absolutely AM.
I am using the Snowleaopard version of Multibeast... v3.10.1

I do agree that Clover can have issues, its just that when I setup Snow on this very PC before, I did put clover on it and it worked flawlessly, but right now... I am just trying to get it to boot correctly with everything working... Again, Like I was fully able to in the past. ( This is the H77 I am talking about now - I have given up on the Z170 for the time being... And what is worse, is that I am only doing this, so that I can make a Mojave USB for the Z170 )

>> The iBoot CD will be using Chimera/Chameleon not Clover.

Yes, of course it does v1.7 I think?

>>Have you edited the /Extra/Extensions folder to suit your system?
>>Have you edited the org.chameleon.Boot.plist to suit your system?
>>Which SMBios are you using? - iMac 12.2 would be a good match for the Sandy Bridge CPU

Yes, I think I have. 1I have also used the files you gave me to see WTF I need to do.

When I last did this, I did NOTHING and apart from the Audio and LAN, the setup just ran flawlessly.
iMac 13.1 is what iboot thinks it is, and so I have gone on that!

>>I would recommend the following:
>>OSX doesn't like gaps in drive names.

Ok, I did NOT know that... I usualy have 2 drives called BOOT and DATA but I have been doing a lot of installs and trials lately, but I will remove any spaces as a matter of course.

>>Install Chameleon boot loader to the Mac_OSX drive. Copy of the boot loader is attached below.

Thank you.

>>Edit the SMBios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist with Chameleon Wizard to suit your system.

Chameleon Wizard does NOT work on 10.6 - It says 10.8 at least - I see you attached that so I hope it works.

>>Add any necessary kext(s) to the /Extra/Extensions folder for your LAN, keyboard, Audio etc including FakeSMC.kext.

I have been trying to do that, but it seems to not have a reliable way to be working... It kind of works and Audio is sorted, and it boots, then all of a sudden, it decides to not boot and crash.

>>I would suggest you have a look on the iBoot CD to see what is currently being used and tweak it to better suit your system.

Thats exactly what I have tried to copy... Maybe then, I can at least start at somewhere..

>> I have attached a copy of Chameleon Boot Loader / Wizard / Kext Wizard for you to use

Thank you very much.
I think I have pretty much every thing already but its what version I sometimes need.

>> You may also need KernelPatcher.dylib and keylayout.dylib, copy of both modules are attached. These should be added to the /Extra/modules folder. They can also be selected as part of the Chameleon installation.

I assume those are for the Laptop that does not have a working Keyboard?

I have put Linux Disks back into that because I have 3 Disks lying about from a perfect working Laptop and I dont want to risk using one of them for an OSX built when I already have half a dozen other builds in various states around my computer room.

Funnily enough, I also have a small Thinkpad x201 and I threw Snow onto that and its worked very nicely right up to the first restart and it just failed non stop from then on. I used the Standard iboot on that not the IVYBridge one.

I have decided to just stick on the H77 ITX PC ( Even though a Laptop would be handy as I can watch both screens while I piddle baout rather than flicking the KVM back and forth )

Anyway, ok, I will have a look at these downlaods and have another play about to see where I get.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Chameleon Wizard and Kext Wizard applications should work in OS X Snow Leopard.

In case they don't, here are versions I have just copied & compressed on my HP Microserver Gen7 (AMD hack using SMBIOS iMac 8.1) which runs two versions of Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (from original CD) and a clone that has been updated to 10.6.8 using the Combo Update download.

The attached applications came from the 10.6.8 version and work just fine (I ran a few tests before copying them).

I don't think these are different to the copies I provided above, but just wanted to ensure you have working versions of the Applications.

Attachments

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
No, sorry, the files you gave me are fine... Thank you very much

This is what I keep getting.

In saying this, the version of the booter is definitely different...

Its now Chameleon 2.2svn r2286

So, weirdly, it still tries to boot as it did, but the best I get is the grey apple logo on a grey background and now not even the clock rotating thingy doe not show.

20200409_165115.jpg

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have just rebooted my Snow Leopard system and can confirm it is using Chimera v 1.7.0 r1394, I believe that it is part of MultiBeast - Snow Leopard Edition v 3.10.1. Not Chameleon, so my apologies for sending you down a rabbit hole with little chance of it working. It has been a while since I last played with this system and assumed the boot loader was chameleon not chimera.

My Snow Leopard boot is exactly what you said, grey screen with apple logo and lines flashing in a rotating circle, then it jumps to a blue background and then the Snow Leopard desktop.

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
Its peachy.
I am just happy that I am gettign some help.
Im more annoyed at why its not doing what I expect because as I said before... I installed Snow Leopard and withotu doing a thing, it just worked.

When I say worked, it booted up to the desktop.

After that, its all down to me getting the right info in the right places to get teh LAN and AUDIO sorted out, but the fact still remains taht it booted up.

Right now, I am simply not even able to get there.

I have it spot on and it boots and then all of a sudden, it decided to not boot...

So, I think when have I done wrong and the issue is, that I have done nothing at all... It boots then it does not.

So, yeah, ok, I will use Multibeast for Snowleopard ( v 3.10.1 ) and I will stick to that.

What I did in the last couple of days, was the most basic install with ZERO Kexts and it got to the desktop without me having to try any options in the Booter such as GraphicsEnabler or PCIRootUID and so on ( Are capitals vital on that? )

And just see where I can get.

I like the idea of the Chameleon wizard cos I can only adjust one bit at a time and I can just keep at it.

Thanks dude. Every bit helps...

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
Thanks for the link.
Right now, I am gain playing with the Thinkpad X201 as its a farty Laptop that I can never settle on an OS for it, plus, its small and so its not really in the way... One small downer is that I have to use a USB DVDROM, but hey.. I might as well get some use out of them.

I have had this 4 times now, but on a frsh install, I can boot from the iBoot Disk, but the moment I pout the 10.6.8 Combo update in, it stops being able to boot even from the iBoot disk, so it does somethign to it... Right now, I stil can use the iBoot CD to boot it.

I use both PCIRootUID=0 and GraphicsEnabler=No and it boots up incredibly quickly... The clock / Round circle thingy only rotates 2 and a half times and then boom, the screen is up! - like it should be... The Desktop isnt doing that far.

I have been toying about with Chameleon Wizard, trying to get the HD on this Laptop to have the same settigns as they are on the iboot Disk. not happening.

The best I am managing right now, is for the grey apple logo in the grey background to flash up on the screedn for a split seconf and then it reboots... But yeah, at least I can boot through the Disk.

So yeah, but I dont want to have to boot from the DVD and enter config flag every time I boot up do I?

Latest posts