[SOLVED]Catalina Install stuck at apfs_module_start

Mobo
Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Hello guys,

i just tried to install MacOS Catalina on my Desktop PC but got stuck at some point, see picture attached.

I followed this guide https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/ and got everything from it.

I already googled it and some people said that you need a SSDT-EC.aml file in Clover->ACPI->patched and it worked for one time but than i stucked anywhere else and now i stuck again at apfs_module_start.

I have my EFI attached if someone want to watch what kext etc i have.

My Specs are:

CPU: i5-9600k

GPU: RTX 2080 (i will use my iGPU UHD 630, dont know if i have everything so i can make sure my rtx is off when i boot to macos)

MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming (i dont care about wifi if someone want to ask if i want to use wifi :D)

If you need more information tell me !

And thanks for any help and reply

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I believe you can use a SSDT to disable the dGPU, that is what is used when Hacking a laptop, and I believe it is transferable to a desktop. It is something we can look into once your system is up and running.

Not sure about the SSDT-EC.aml being the fix for the kernel panic, as that I believe is more to do with power generation for USB controllers. We can look and see if your's needs an SSDT-EC when you are creating the custom SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext for your USB ports.

I will have a look at your EFI Folder and see what I can find to resolve the Kernel panic shown in the screen image above.

To that end, can you confirm which NVME drive you are using?

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I believe you can use a SSDT to disable the dGPU, that is what is used when Hacking a laptop, and I believe it is transferable to a desktop. It is something we can look into once your system is up and running.

Not sure about the SSDT-EC.aml being the fix for the kernel panic, as that I believe is more to do with power generation for USB controllers. We can look and see if your's needs an SSDT-EC when you are creating the custom SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext for your USB ports.

I will have a look at your EFI Folder and see what I can find to resolve the Kernel panic shown in the screen image above.

To that end, can you confirm which NVME drive you are using?
Thank you for your reply and takin time to look at my efi, i have a samsung evo plus 970 500gb, updated to the latest firmware :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try in place of your current folder. Let me know how it works, or not

Regarding disabling the Nvidia card in macOS. Here is a guide on how to do this, by creating an SSDT - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-only-ran-for-0-seconds-with-dual-gpu.233092/

You need a copy of your unpatched ACPI files in order to create this SSDT. Press F4 while on the Clover boot screen and the files will be downloaded to the /CLOVER/ACPI/orign folder on your USB. It will do the work in the background with no notification when it is finished, so don't click anything for a minute.

Attachments

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try in place of your current folder. Let me know how it works, or not

Regarding disabling the Nvidia card in macOS. Here is a guide on how to do this, by creating an SSDT - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-only-ran-for-0-seconds-with-dual-gpu.233092/

You need a copy of your unpatched ACPI files in order to create this SSDT. Press F4 while on the Clover boot screen and the files will be downloaded to the /CLOVER/ACPI/orign folder on your USB. It will do the work in the background with no notification when it is finished, so don't click anything for a minute.
Thank you so much, i'll give it a try and reply later the results!

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080

Hi, i just tried your version and now i get stuck at this, see attached jpg. Are there any changes I have to do ?

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
No, think of it as a work in progress. This type of back and forth is normal, as is the kernel panic changing when the CLOVER folder or config.plist is changed.

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
No, think of it as a work in progress. This type of back and forth is normal, as is the kernel panic changing when the CLOVER folder or config.plist is changed.
Okay, what should i do next ? :/

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
W need to remove the cause of the ACPI kernel panic, when you use the CLOVER folder I provided.

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
W need to remove the cause of the ACPI kernel panic, when you use the CLOVER folder I provided.
Okay thanks, i already looked in google and found some "solutions", people said that you neet to ad boot parameter nv_disable=1 but you already did that and now im out of ideas how i could fix that. :/

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I opened a Thread on tonymacx86, maybe other people have a solution for that, i hope its okay to make another thread somewhere else ? When you have a problem with that, tell me so i can delete it. And again thank you for the efi folder and the help.

EDIT: i opened a thread at tonymac and got banned because i "used a tutorial not from tonymacx86".

Still lookin on other forums for a fix

Last edited:
Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I asked on 2 other forums, I got a config, which I'll test now, I hope it works. Could you find another fix for this ? Regards

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I am not precious about where you get your help. You will not get banned for linking to or using another Hackintosh website.

I will have a look at the config and clover folder and get back to you shortly if I have anything for you to try.

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I am not precious about where you get your help. You will not get banned for linking to or using another Hackintosh website.

I will have a look at the config and clover folder and get back to you shortly if I have anything for you to try.
Thank you, i jsut another config from a guy from hackintosh-forum, i'll try it and reply after the results. :)

EDIT: I tried the provided config, but than i stuck again at apfs_module_start... :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Try the CLOVER folder attached.

I have not changed a lot. I have removed a few SSDT's as they may have been causing the ACPI kernel panic. Plus made a few minor adjustments to the config.plist.

So I need you to replace and use the Whole folder, not just the config.plist.

See if this makes any difference.

Attachments

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080

I have not changed a lot. I have removed a few SSDT's as they may have been causing the ACPI kernel panic. Plus made a few minor adjustments to the config.plist.

Will try it and reply after, thanks !

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080

I tried your updated clover folder and get this now.

Looks similar but now it says 6 successful instead of 9. :D

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I think that KP is related to the Graphics. IGPU and PEG0.

I have changed the config.plist attached. By removing most GPU references, including:
  • Disabling rename patches,
  • Removing ig-platform-id,
  • Set Inject Intel=false,
  • Set Fake ID IntelGFX=0x12345678,
  • Retained nv_disable=1 boot argument for your RTX 2080.
We can add the correct values back in, one at a time, once you are able to boot your system.

Just rename the configv2.plist to config.plist when you copy it to your CLOVER folder.

Attachments

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I think that KP is related to the Graphics. IGPU and PEG0.

I have changed the config.plist attached. By removing most GPU references, including:
  • Disabling rename patches,
  • Removing ig-platform-id,
  • Set Inject Intel=false,
  • Set Fake ID IntelGFX=0x12345678,
  • Retained nv_disable=1 boot argument for your RTX 2080.
We can add the correct values back in, one at a time, once you are able to boot your system.

Just rename the configv2.plist to config.plist when you copy it to your CLOVER folder.
Okay i'll try, thanks !