[SOLVED]Catalina Install stuck at apfs_module_start

Mobo
Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I think that KP is related to the Graphics. IGPU and PEG0.

I have changed the config.plist attached. By removing most GPU references, including:
  • Disabling rename patches,
  • Removing ig-platform-id,
  • Set Inject Intel=false,
  • Set Fake ID IntelGFX=0x12345678,
  • Retained nv_disable=1 boot argument for your RTX 2080.
We can add the correct values back in, one at a time, once you are able to boot your system.

Just rename the configv2.plist to config.plist when you copy it to your CLOVER folder.
Tried it and got stuck again like before.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Kernel Panic picture the same?

MVK

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Intel
Hi, I started another thread with the same problem. We have quite similar configuration. From the different things I tried, it seems to me that when you have the ACPI errors, they arrive before the apfs_module_start : 1603 , or am I mistaken?

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Kernel Panic picture the same?
Take your time and thank you very much, i'll test other fixes tomorrow as i have to now and
Hi, I started another thread with the same problem. We have quite similar configuration. From the different things I tried, it seems to me that when you have the ACPI errors, they arrive before the apfs_module_start : 1603 , or am I mistaken?
Dont know right now, have to look when it boots if it skips the apfs

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I just looked and yeah when the acpi error occurs there is now apfs module at all, dont know if it comes next or skips it entiarelly. Maybe Edhawk will have a fix for us today we can try. He does some amazing job here. :) A Donation will come for sure once i system is running fine with macos installed :D

MVK

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Intel
Ok that's what I thought. I'm still walking around quite blind with hackintosh, even though it's my third build :D
I tried the EFI he corrected for you, and I get the ACPI errors. I disabled the ACPI patches in Clover Configurator, and I went back to the 1683 error.
I did some trial, and finally, if I disable only the change H_EC to EC, I do not get the ACPI error and I go straight to the 1683 error.

From everything that I have been reading, the solution would be in the file copied to Clover/ACPI/patched.

I have tried the files I found around :
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-USB.aml
SSDT-EC.aml
SSDT-XOSI.aml

without getting further then the 1683.

and of course I have the Lilu, Whatevergreen, Fakesmc kexts up to date

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Ok that's what I thought. I'm still walking around quite blind with hackintosh, even though it's my third build :D
I tried the EFI he corrected for you, and I get the ACPI errors. I disabled the ACPI patches in Clover Configurator, and I went back to the 1683 error.
I did some trial, and finally, if I disable only the change H_EC to EC, I do not get the ACPI error and I go straight to the 1683 error.

From everything that I have been reading, the solution would be in the file copied to Clover/ACPI/patched.

I have tried the files I found around :
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-USB.aml
SSDT-EC.aml
SSDT-XOSI.aml

without getting further then the 1683.

and of course I have the Lilu, Whatevergreen, Fakesmc kexts up to date
Its my first macos install so im out of ideas when i see just one error :D im still looking for people who had the same and got a solution, ill let you know if i find something :D

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Reading around the other hackintosh sites this seems to be a common issue.

The fix pre-installation, alledgedly is to do the following:
  1. USe a new version of Clover, Clover_v2.5k_r5098 or newer.
  2. Make sure you have AptioMemoryFix.efi installed to /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
  3. Add SSDT-EC, SSDTPNLF and SSDT-USBX to /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  4. Install latest versions of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
Post Installation:
  1. Install Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /Library/Extension folder using Hackintool app, this will also repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache.
  2. Make sure you do not have another copy of Lilu or WhateverGreen in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  3. Reboot.
SSDT's and Kexts mentioned above are all attached below. They are the current versions as of 20/11/2019.

Attachments

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Reading around the other hackintosh sites this seems to be a common issue.

The fix pre-installation, alledgedly is to do the following:
  1. USe a new version of Clover, Clover_v2.5k_r5098 or newer.
  2. Make sure you have AptioMemoryFix.efi installed to /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
  3. Add SSDT-EC, SSDTPNLF and SSDT-USBX to /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  4. Install latest versions of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
Post Installation:
  1. Install Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /Library/Extension folder using Hackintool app, this will also repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache.
  2. Make sure you do not have another copy of Lilu or WhateverGreen in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  3. Reboot.
SSDT's and Kexts mentioned above are all attached below. They are the current versions as of 20/11/2019.
Post-installation is the step that comes after the installation right ? I’ll give it a try when I get home and reply the results. Again thank you very much.
but one last question for creating the usb. Should I use Mojave or Catalina ? Createmedia command with terminal or unibeast and multibeast?
EDIT: what about the kext I need for my MoBo? Should I install them too ? Like IntelMausiEthernet etc.
EDIT2: And should i use your latest provided config.plist?

Just want to make everything clear :/

Regards

Last edited:
Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Okay sorry but I’ll do it tomorrow as I have to sleep now cuz of work. I’ll read a few things to make sure I do everything right and will reply tomorrow how it went. :)

MVK

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Intel
Hello Edhawk, I'm mixing in DeltaOn3 X's thread as I have the feeling that what will work for him would work for him. I also have the feeling that this is somehow linked to Asus Mobo. On the Catalina support thread at Tonymacx86's all Gygabite Mobo users where talking about painless upgrades as the asus ones were complaining of the 1683 doom.

Nevertheless, I've done as you proposed, yet the same 1683 error arrised... I'm linking the actual EFI with your updates.

@DeltaOn3 As it is your first hack, you could try to do a mojave install as you would have complete tutorials and the tools such as you mentioned unibeast & Multibeast to install it. Catalina is still on the trial and errors for the moment :)

Anyway, thanks for your support. If you'd find a way through this... Yet i also arrived to a dead end where the installer got stuck at ""IOReturn IONVMeController::CreateSubmissionQueue". Not cool, but it seems to me that it went further than the 1683.

@Delta if you want to try, you can simply replace the clover folder of your USB key, just keep track of which Clover folder did what.

And last but not least, if you all prefer that I stick to my own thread, I will do so
:D

Thanks for the support!!!

Attachments

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Hello Edhawk, I'm mixing in DeltaOn3 X's thread as I have the feeling that what will work for him would work for him. I also have the feeling that this is somehow linked to Asus Mobo. On the Catalina support thread at Tonymacx86's all Gygabite Mobo users where talking about painless upgrades as the asus ones were complaining of the 1683 doom.

Nevertheless, I've done as you proposed, yet the same 1683 error arrised... I'm linking the actual EFI with your updates.

@DeltaOn3 As it is your first hack, you could try to do a mojave install as you would have complete tutorials and the tools such as you mentioned unibeast & Multibeast to install it. Catalina is still on the trial and errors for the moment :)

Anyway, thanks for your support. If you'd find a way through this... Yet i also arrived to a dead end where the installer got stuck at ""IOReturn IONVMeController::CreateSubmissionQueue". Not cool, but it seems to me that it went further than the 1683.

@Delta if you want to try, you can simply replace the clover folder of your USB key, just keep track of which Clover folder did what.

And last but not least, if you all prefer that I stick to my own thread, I will do so:D

Thanks for the support!!!
I'll create a fresh movaje installer with the ssdt's and kext provided from edhawk.

No stay here and reply with your errors you got, the more people we can help, the better it is. Dont need to go to another topic, you can stay here :D

I had the samwe error like you and i fixed it by using the latest version of everything i used. Im not sure right now if it was the same error but i'll look if it was the same. And make sure to update your nvme ssd to the latest firmware, like if you have a samsung, check with magician your firmware.

EDIT: yeah i had the same issue but i was using outdatet tools kext etc, i think your clover folder will work fine, ill check it at home and reply later!

EDIT2: So if you get stuck at nvme with your second attachement, where do you stuck with the first one with edhawk provided patches ?

Last edited:

MVK

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Intel
I might be seeing the end of the tunnel. I actually got to the installer, but new problems have arisen.
I did a mix of the two clovers I posted, I'll explain later on what worked or not!

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
I might be seeing the end of the tunnel. I actually got to the installer, but new problems have arisen.
I did a mix of the two clovers I posted, I'll explain later on what worked or not!
Nice one !

MVK

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Intel
Pheeeew. ok. got it.
It's not perfect, but at least, i got to the installer and I installed on a SSD. I'm gonna now look the story of the NVMe.

I had a few fixes that had to be done, change the memoryfix, change the settings in the config file so that it works for the intel graphic unit.

I'm able to boot on the new catalina drive. I'm attaching the efi that go me though it.

@Delta do you want to try it out and tell us what happens?

The clover file is far form perfect, it's still glitchy, but I had sound, ethernet, working. Now I have to look into some graphical glitches and the tons of error that makes that the booting is very long.

Attachments

MVK

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
CPU
I7-8700K
GPU
Intel
Oh by the way, I forgot to say the clover is basically the standard config created with clover, to which I added the necessary kexts and drivers, plus the three DSDT file that Edhawk brought.

I'm out of time, but I'll try to explain it later.

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Oh by the way, I forgot to say the clover is basically the standard config created with clover, to which I added the necessary kexts and drivers, plus the three DSDT file that Edhawk brought.

I'm out of time, but I'll try to explain it later.
Thank you for very much for the clover folder, ill make a fresh usb installer and will try it with your clover folder. ill reply later

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Bro you 2 are awesome I again got a error and I was like common give up but than I tried a usb 2.0 port and now I can install catalina :D I’ll reply after the installation.

EDIT: It’s installing now but I have to go to the barber 😂 wish me luck that it finishes the installing after I come back 👌

Mobo
CPU
I5-9600K
GPU
RTX 2080
Bro you 2 are awesome I again got a error and I was like common give up but than I tried a usb 2.0 port and now I can install catalina :D I’ll reply after the installation.

EDIT: It’s installing now but I have to go to the barber 😂 wish me luck that it finishes the installing after I come back 👌
Ok guys I’m done, I successfully installed macOS Catalina on my Desktop PC, I thank you guys so much

Now I need a proper and short “tutorial” how to do the post installation thing
i only know I need to install clover UEFI boot only to my ssd.