[SOLVED] gigabyte ga-z79x-ud7 radeon vii clover r5129 / catalina upgrade black screen and kernel panic when adding whatevergreen

XKDiver

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU
Radeon VII
Trying to upgrade my old hackintosh to catalina. I went through this thread and got going fairly well after having my drives disappear after a clover upgrade and managed to get upgraded to catalina and am using the first config in this thread (not the later mojave config any more):

https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/mojave-flummoxed-with-ga-z97x-ud7.1338/#post-7788

And I now have that config.plist with the uuids s/n updated. I have a more stripped down set of drivers and kexts. Nuked everything in L/E. I'm getting black screen with the radeon vii over displayport problem. Try to add just Lilu and Whatevergreen though and that kernel panics. Not sure exactly where to go from here and google is now coming up short for me.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you have 'Nuked' everything in your /Library/Extensions folder, where are your essential third-party kexts such as Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, USBPorts.kext or USBInjectAll.kext and your Intel ethernet kext? They are not in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, all you have in that folder is FakeSMC.kext.

Running Catalina on a Haswell system requires a few custom SSDT's, you don't have any in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. The standard requirements for a Haswell system are as follows:
  • SSDT-EC.aml
  • SSDT-HPET.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml
These three SSDT's and some patches required for the SSDT-HPET.aml to work can be generated using your system DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script, which can be downloaded from this GitHub page - https://github.com/corpnewt/SSDTTime

You don't have a custom SSDT-PM.aml for CPU power management. You also don't have the PluginType=true option set in your config.plist. You need to use one or the other to have working CPU power management in your Hack.

If you are using WhateverGreen.kext you do not need these two rename patches:
  • Change GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change PEG0 to GFX0

If you are using AppleALC.kext for your audio you do not need this rename patch:
  • Change B0D3 to HDAU
You might want to add darkwake=10 boot argument to your config.plist, it helps Gigabyte motherboards.

You have a Fake Id for the IGPU, you don't need this with the Intel HD4600, it is natively supported in macOS.

You are using an Intel Framebuffer for a system where the IGPU drives a display (0300220D), this is wrong. You should be using an empty (Headless) framebuffer, as you are using a discrete GPU. Either of these two empty framebuffers will work:
  • 0x04120004 - 04001204
  • 0x0412000B - 0B001204
You should not be using the Inject Intel=true option or the ig-platform-id=0x0D220003 options, if you are using Device Properties to inject your IGPU properties. These two options will clash with WhateverGreen.kext and may cause unnecessary issues.

I would add the KernelXCPU=true option, so your CPU works better in your hack.

You don't have a USBPorts.kext, SSDT-UIAC.aml or any USB Port Limit patches in your config.plist. So how are you configuring your USB ports. The Rename patches are not enough on their own.

I run a few Haswell systems, and these comments above are based on the years of tinkering and tweaking I have done to get them working as best they can.

Hope this helps.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
As to your main issue with the Black Screen:

You need to use the agdpmod=pikera boot argument in your config.plist. All Radeon VII and RX 5000 series AMD dGPU's require this fix to get over the black screen issue.

XKDiver

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU
Radeon VII
Excellent this is all the stuff I didn't even know I needed to google. This will keep me busy.

This hackintosh also fell through a timewarp from something like Yosemite-era (and I just beat on with a hammer to get it onto Mojave a year back without really knowing what I was doing at all)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you are interested in learning more then have a read of these guides:
I would call these guides essential reading for anyone running a Hack. Specifically the first post in each guide.

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU
Radeon VII
Progress. Got through most of that other than the SSDTs (just haven't slogged through that yet). I managed to capture the start of the kernel panic I was getting with phone video and it was just a conflict between an old Lilu / WhateverGreen in the prelinked kernel, so finally whacked the prelinked cache correctly (for some reason my brain decided to try to run kextcache -i /Volumes/<MyVolume>\ -\ Data a bunch of times before i correctly used the other drive). Now it boots fine, the blackscreen is gone. I think the only major problem left is I'm only getting one displayport now (although the display is detecting two screens, but I think I've got the onboard display disabled in BIOS so I'm not sure what that is... but maybe I'm wrong).

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU
Radeon VII
Got the SSDTs and plist patches installed. The display issue is a little odd and 2 out of 3 of the monitors work, unplug one of the working ones and the other one comes on. Wondering if it'd work better now without WEG and with the rename patches.