[SOLVED] Graphical issues with Radeon HD 7970 Big Sur

macOS
Mobo
ASUS p8z77-v pro
CPU
Intel core i7 - 3770k
GPU
AMD RADEON HD 7970
I Managed to Clean install Catalina and then update to Big Sur. My last standing issue with my install is that when I try and plug in my second monitor, it stays black screen, also my first main monitor (which is a 144hz monitor) Switches to 60hz when I plug in my second monitor. Any help in resolving this issue is much appreciated.

[MONITOR ISSUE SOLVED]
I just switched which port the gpu was plugged into

[System sluggishness and mouse cursor issues]
I found out this is a Big Sur issue with high performance mouses. Just go into the software for the mouse (Razer synapse, Logitech G hub etc) and change your polling rate to 125hz and it should fix it. This will probably be fixed in a later macOS 11 update.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Which version/make of HD 7970 are you using? XFX, Gigabyte, Asus etc. Exact model ID would be helpful.

How are the two monitors connected, DisplayPort, DVI or HDMI? Are you using any adapters?

macOS
Mobo
ASUS p8z77-v pro
CPU
Intel core i7 - 3770k
GPU
AMD RADEON HD 7970
Which version/make of HD 7970 are you using? XFX, Gigabyte, Asus etc. Exact model ID would be helpful.

How are the two monitors connected, DisplayPort, DVI or HDMI? Are you using any adapters?
Its an Asus directcu II Radeon HD 7970
How would I find the model ID?

One of the monitors was connected through DisplayPort the other one (the one that's causing the issues) is plugged through an adapter from DisplayPort to HDMI. The card has no HDMI and the monitor has no DisplayPort.

I managed to fix it actually by switching the port it was connected to, but while were here I still have another issue, the WindowServer process is having very high CPU usages spikes any time I move my mouse cursor. And I'm getting a lot of errors from WindowServer in the console when I move my mouse cursor around.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Good to hear you could resolve the dual monitor issue.

Have a read of this guide on WindowServer issues on a Mac/hack - https://macsecurity.net/view/393-windowserver-mac

It says the issue can be graphics related, plus a few other issues.

If the console writes are happening when you move the mouse cursor, then I would put money on it being graphics related.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS p8z77-v pro
CPU
Intel core i7 - 3770k
GPU
AMD RADEON HD 7970
Good to hear you could resolve the dual monitor issue.

Have a read of this guide on WindowServer issues on a Mac/hack - https://macsecurity.net/view/393-windowserver-mac

It says the issue can be graphics related, plus a few other issues.

If the console writes are happening when you move the mouse cursor, then I would put money on it being graphics related.

I tried a lot of the things in that article, unfortunately nothing worked.

It said to try and remove scaling from the monitor and to unplug any secondary monitors. After I did that the errors were still there, and the cpu usage was still abnormally high when moving my mouse cursor.

It also said to look for any malware, but this is a fresh install with nothing but mostly trusted software. (Discord, steam, epic games launcher, Visual studio code, Visual studio for Mac, Xcode, twitter for Mac, Minecraft launcher)

I also tried looking around for other threads on different forums with the same "Clearing Datagram Buffer for cid xxxxx" Error but I couldn't find anything :/