macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
Hi Guys

I have installed my first Hackintosh earlier this year. Everything is working fine but one thing bothers me. When I reebot, it takes nearly two minutes until the machine is ready. I get a lot of errors during boot up. My boot drive is formatted with APFS and I read somewhere, that this can slow down the boot process.

I would like to change my main boot drive to HFS+. I have cloned my APFS Boot Drive to a Backup Drive with Carbon Copy Cloner (I also copied all the folders from the EFI Partition of the main boot drive to the EFI of the backup boot drive.

But where do I select to boot from the backup drive? Thanks for your help!

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
In Clover you should be able to choose which drive to boot, after BIOS but before the computer starts.

If you're not seeing this screen it's likely you have the timeout set to 0s before it picks your default drive. In this case, you can either hold down any key when your computer is starting up to ignore the default one time, or you can edit your config.plist to increase the timeout value (under the Boot section).

PGC77

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
In Clover you should be able to choose which drive to boot, after BIOS but before the computer starts.

If you're not seeing this screen it's likely you have the timeout set to 0s before it picks your default drive. In this case, you can either hold down any key when your computer is starting up to ignore the default one time, or you can edit your config.plist to increase the timeout value (under the Boot section).
Thanks Jaggedcow.
I see the screen where I can choose the boot drive but I only see my primary harddisk, not the backup drive.

Do I have to change the backup drive as startup drive in the BIOS?

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Double check that the drive was formatted with a GUID partition map (click on the icon of the physical drive in Disk Utility), and also check that you haven’t accidentally hidden the backup volume by name in your Clover config

PGC77

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
Yes, the drive is formatted with a GUID partition and the backup volume isn't hidden in Clover.

I did some more tests and I tried selecting the Backup volume as start volume in the Mac System Settings. But after restart it boots into my primary volume.

Here is a screenshot of the boot options from my config.plist Maybe you see some errors there?

Attachments

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Can you upload a copy of your boot.log? You can generate it from Clover configurator

PGC77

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
Maybe some more useful information: I just went into the BIOS and my Backup drive isn't listed there. Every other harddisk that is installed in my computer is listed but not my backup drive. That's kinda strange, isn't it?

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Yeah, it seems that for whatever reason your backup isn't recognized as a bootable source. The easiest way to fix most things causing that would be to try reinstalling MacOS on top of the backup. This won't erase your files.

PGC77

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
I think I know what causes the issue.

Because I didn't had enough SATA Ports on my MoBo I installed a PCI Expansion card with two onboard SATA Ports. The backup volume was hooked up on one of those ports. I think the BIOS isn't recognizing the Card so it won't let me boot from it.

I have now moved the OS Backup to another drive that is directly hooked up on one of the internal SATA ports of the MoBo and now it appears on the Clover boot screen.

Latest posts