(solved) Mojave 10.14.3 installation problem (MSI B360M)

pawcen

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU
Intel i5-8400 2,8 GHz Coffee Lake
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
Hello everyone,
i'm new to the subject and I have a problem with Mojave 10.14.3 installation. After choosing install Mjave with Clover Apple logo appears and after a while (a long while) nothing happens. After switching to verbose I noticed that installation stops every time at the same moment (screen attached).
I tried different options (creating Clover by myself, choosing Your EFI (different ones), Unibeast+Multibeast, etc. - effect is still the same.
My specification:
motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU: Intel i5-8400 2,8 GHz Coffee Lake
SSD M.2: ADATA XPG SX8200 256GB
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
power supply: Silentium Supremo M2 Gold 550W

Can You help me (what am I doing wrong)?

Screen:
1550872373096.jpg

EDIT:
All I needed to do was downgrade BIOS firmware to v2 or v3. Now everything is working perfectly.

Last edited:

pawcen

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
Sorry, I forgot :)
Here is EFI I use (one of many variables)

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
I have had a look at your EFI folder and attached a slightly revised CLOVER folder for you to use.

I have replaced a few drivers in drivers4UEFI
I have added SSDT-XOSI to your CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder
I have changed your config.plist to better match your CPU/GPU's etc. as follows:
  • Added command DSDT rename patches, DSDT fixes and Plugin Type=1
  • Added a couple of common boot arguments, 'NeverHibinate' option 5 second Timeout
  • Added Fake ID of 0x3E928086 for your Intel GFX, Audio inject layout ID '7' and the two audio options.
  • Added mouse options, Scan Custom 'Entries' & 'Tool', English language, 1080 screen resolution, two Hide Volume names.
  • Added Inject Intel and ig-platform-id 0x59120003
  • Added AMD Framebuffer 'Acre' and RadeonDeInit=yes
  • Added 10.14.x USB port limit patch, changed a couple of Kernel fixes
  • Deleted three kernel to patch fixes
  • Change Sip to disabled, added MLB & ROM to correspond with your new smbios
  • Changed your smbios to iMac 18.3 to better match your CPU and AMD graphics card, checked the serial number with Apple Support & EveryMac
  • Changed Inject kexts to 'Detect' from yes.
Try this CLOVER folder and config.plist with your USB installer. It should get you through the installer.

Let me know how you get on with this folder.

Attachments

pawcen

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
Thank You a lot for Your efforts, but it still doesn't work (screen below). Installer seems to stuck at the same moment. I tried USB3 pendrive (in USB2 and USB3 ports) and USB2 pendrive (again in both ports), but no luck. I can't get through the installer.

1550943760967.jpg

pawcen

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
There is Windows 10 installed on the computer I try to install Mojave. Does it makes any difference? Should SSD be blank and formatted?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Are you trying to install macOS on to an NVME drive?

Do you have Windows installed on an NVME drive?

The NVME driver seems to be causing the kernel panic. If you don't have either installed on an NVME drive, just a plain SSD , then I would recommend you remove the NVME driver from /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and reboot to see if it allows the boot to complete and reach the macOS installation stage.

The SSD does not need to be blank as you will have an opportunity to format the drive as part of the installation routine, i.e. select disk utilities and format the drive as APFS, as Mojave requires all SSD's to be formatted as APFS.

It is alway best to remove any other drives from your system when installing a new OS, so there are no conflicts and you don't select the wrong disk for the installation.

You can plug the other drives back in after you have macOS and Clover installed on your drive, i.e. it is successfully booting from the macOS drive.

This is important if you have multiple drives in your system: The macOS drive needs to be set as the first drive in the bios boot order list, so the other drive icons show up on the Clover boot screen and you can choose to boot in to Windows/Linux or macOS.

pawcen

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
The drive im my computer is M.2: ADATA XPG SX8200 256GB - I think it's an NVMe drive (see attached photo). So if it's the only drive in my computer I won't be able to install Mojave? Is it possible to install macOS on NVMe drive?

Also, I don't need Windows - it was pre-istalled by the seller. So the idea was to get rid of Win and install macOS instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
If you are trying to install macOS on a NVME drive that already has a Windows installation then I think you are in for a world of pain. Personally I stopped using my PCI-E NVME drives with macOS, I just use the AHCI NVME drives, as they work without any patching being required.

I would recommend the following:

First read up and find out what you need to do to install macOS on an NVME drive. Here is a link to Rehabman's Patch-NVME repository, I am not sure if it is up to date - https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme. There is a readme and a lot of other information on this site.

I recall that in order to dual boot macOS and Windows from the same drive that macOS needs to be installed first, however this was in the HFS+ days not the APFS formatted drives. Here is a link to a guide for dual/multi booting with macOS, Windows and Linux on a UEFI system - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/. The post is a couple of years old but should still be valid for your needs.

I think you will need to format the drive on a Mac, with the drive split in to two partitions, one formatted APFS for macOS and one initially formatted HFS+ that would later be deleted and reformatted by the Windows installer. I believe you will want the macOS drive as the first OS installed.

Just my own thoughts on this but you will quickly fill up a 256GB drive, as each will have a maximum of 125GB of space for the OS, applications and any data files. I have found that after a while even a 256Gb drive can become limited for space. A second drive would in my opinion be a better option for dual booting macOS and Windows 10.

pawcen

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M PRO-VHD
CPU
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB
Thank You. I'm planning to have the entire drive for macOS (like I wrote earlier - I don't need Windows). Of course I will add some HDD as a storage, but SSD should be my main drive (system drive). I will start digging the subject of NVME in macOS.

But first the question: Should I wipe the drive clean before installing Mojave, or the installer will format the drive (cleaning the Windows in the process)?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
You can wipe the drive before hand and format it to APFS, if you can attach it to another Mac/Hack with a M.2 slot or spare PCI-E NVME adapter. But this is not necessary if you plan to remove Windows completely.

You can as part of the macOS install process select 'Disk Utility' before selecting 'Install macOS'. This will allow you to use the Mac Disk Utility app to format the drive. Seeing it is an NVME SSD you would need to Erase the drive with the following settings:

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 19.51.24.png Example of settings required for Mojave drive

Once you exit 'Disk Utility' you will be presented with the main installation window again and can proceed with the installation of macOS Mojave.

nqt999

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M Pro VDH
CPU
i5 9400F
GPU
MSI RX560
Hello, my pc has same spec as @pawcen but I can not boot to the installer, it sucks at "End randomseed", I have tried to use the @pawcen EFI folder but no luck. @Edhawk Could you please to help me? Thanks.

nqt999

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M Pro VDH
CPU
i5 9400F
GPU
MSI RX560
Thank Edhawk, I solved it, just need to disable the execute bit feature in the BIOS.

shrisha

macOS
Mobo
MSI b360m pro-vdh
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
Radeon RX560
Hello, I'm having exactly same problem with this motherboard. Could you please point me where I have to disable the execute bit feature in the BIOS. I can't find it.
Thank you,

macOS
Mobo
MSI B360M Pro VDH
CPU
i5 9400F
GPU
MSI RX560
Hello, I'm having exactly same problem with this motherboard. Could you please point me where I have to disable the execute bit feature in the BIOS. I can't find it.
Thank you,
Hi shrisha, you can find it in the CPU Features menu, the CFG Lock. Disable it and you can continue the installation.

macOS
Mobo
MSI b360m pro-vdh
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
Radeon RX560
Thank you. I tried practicaly all bios versions. Can I ask you to share your clover folder? May I'm doing something wrong. Still can't install it.

macOS
Mobo
MSI b360m pro-vdh
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
Radeon RX560
I finally managed. Had to disable virtualization in BIOS. After that installation went smoothly. Thank you nqt999