macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
Hi, hope you're well!
I cannot for the life of me get this monitor running at 165hz. It works fine under Ubuntu & Windows, and with a different computer on Mojave, Windows, & Ubuntu.
I've tried connecting just the monitor, all different ports, a different cable. I thought I had a bad graphics card and even managed to buy another one, but I'm still having this issue.
I think connector patching is the solution, like iGPU, it probably needs to be told it's a DisplayPort, I think it's treating it as HDMI. It only works once in a while and then it's either max 75hz or 120. But it doesn't work consistently.
Tried with and without WEG and agdpmod=pikera. Without both I only get one monitor, with both, I get 2 and sometimes all 3.

MSI 5700 XT Mech OC
ROG Strix Z590-A

Any help will be appreciated!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yep, sounds like you need to create a custom Framebuffer for your RX 5700 XT.

Here is a link to a guide for creating a custom Framebuffer for an AMD card. While it is set for High Sierra it should work just as well in Mojave - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/

Have you checked to ensure that each screen works correctly (as you expect) when it is the only display connected? On my RX 580 only two of the three DisplayPort connectors work consistently. The third gives Black Screen on occasion so I don't use it.

I assume you are trying to connect the screens with the 3 x DisplayPort (DP) connectors from the RX 5700 XT. That you are using DP to DP cables, not using any adapters or cable adapters, i.e. DP to HDMI adapter or cable.

If you are using any adapters or adapter cables you may need to check that they are Active adapters, and not Passive. Passive adapters are known to cause issues in macOS.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would recommend you have a look at your system's IOReg. Check that the physical display outputs match with the reported connector type. It is not uncommon for macOS to report a DisplayPort connector as HDMI. This may be the issue you are facing.

It will tell you which connectors are set correctly, and which need to be edited to work correctly with macOS.

I would use the version of IORegistry Explorer attached to this guide, especially if you are going to ask anyone to have a look and double check your findings - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

Are you TripleYoThreat over at TMx86?

If yes, expect your post to be deleted, as you have broken one of the TMx86 site rules, linking to a post here.

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
Yep, sounds like you need to create a custom Framebuffer for your RX 5700 XT.

Here is a link to a guide for creating a custom Framebuffer for an AMD card. While it is set for High Sierra it should work just as well in Mojave - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/

Have you checked to ensure that each screen works correctly (as you expect) when it is the only display connected? On my RX 580 only two of the three DisplayPort connectors work consistently. The third gives Black Screen on occasion so I don't use it.

I assume you are trying to connect the screens with the 3 x DisplayPort (DP) connectors from the RX 5700 XT. That you are using DP to DP cables, not using any adapters or cable adapters, i.e. DP to HDMI adapter or cable.

If you are using any adapters or adapter cables you may need to check that they are Active adapters, and not Passive. Passive adapters are known to cause issues in macOS.

I had a look there and DPCImanager doesn't even show my graphics card. I'm on Big Sur / Monterey with OpenCore so I figure it's a bit of some different steps too.

Oddly, plugging it in by itself doesn't even have it work as intended. I thought it could be an EDID issue but I managed to try a 6800 XT (under Monterey) and all 3 worked as intended. Instantly. So it can't be EDID, has to be framebuffer I guess?

Two DP with one HDMI, I've tried it by itself and without the HDMI, no difference. Works occasionally, doesn't work other times, but never 165hz. Oddly, the other DP monitor will work in any port at 144hz Ultrawide...so based on that it's unlikely to be a port misinterpreted...but that's the only thing that makes sense.

I would recommend you have a look at your system's IOReg. Check that the physical display outputs match with the reported connector type. It is not uncommon for macOS to report a DisplayPort connector as HDMI. This may be the issue you are facing.

It will tell you which connectors are set correctly, and which need to be edited to work correctly with macOS.

I would use the version of IORegistry Explorer attached to this guide, especially if you are going to ask anyone to have a look and double check your findings - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

Are you TripleYoThreat over at TMx86?

If yes, expect your post to be deleted, as you have broken one of the TMx86 site rules, linking to a post here.
I couldn't find where the connectors are in it so I'm attaching it below, please take a look!

Yup that's me! I need to make a new account here with one unified name.
Thanks for the heads up, fixed that post.

Attachments

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
So I really thought it might be an EDID issue, but it works fine with another build with a Vega 56 on Mojave and this build with the 6800 XT. Could it be something like forcing it into 6 bpc? On windows the triple monitor doesn't work either, until I put it in 6pc RGB instead of 10 bpc YCbCr444
But on the flip side, the Vega and the 6800 had it OOB. I think it's just a crap card. Just the chip in general - it's not the drivers. Especially if both WIndows and Mac are struggling. The windows even has an audio crackle over DP or HDMI on Windows. I experienced this with a 5500 XT too.

Any thoughts? Maybe forcing into RGB? cause the monitor is recognized

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I looked through your IOReg and have captured a number of screenshots showing the AMD RX6800 XT details. Not all the details but the important ones for you to consider.

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.16.54.png ACPI path for first part of card's address highlighted

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.16.03.png matching device ID for RX6800 XT highlighted

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.14.43.png Display Connector '0' highlighted extended ACPI path and display features

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.14.55.png Display Connector '1' highlighted extended ACPI path and display features

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.15.05.png Display Connector '2' highlighted extended ACPI path and lack of display

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.15.15.png Display Connector '3' highlighted extended ACPI path and lack of display

Here is a list of the Display connector types:
  • LVDS <02 00 00 00>
  • DVI (Dual Link) <04 00 00 00>
  • DVI (Single Link) <00 02 00 00>
  • VGA <10 00 00 00>
  • S-Video <80 00 00 00>
  • DP <00 04 00 00> (0x400)
  • HDMI <00 08 00 00> (0x800)
  • DUMMY <01 00 00 00> (0x0)

Display connector '0' is a DisplayPort connection
Display connector '1' is a HDMI connection
Display connectors '2' & '3' are Dummy connections

This is as I read your IOReg.

A standard RX6800 XT card has 2 x DisplayPort, 1 x HDMI and 1 x Type-C connectors.

I would be surprised if the Type-C connector worked in macOS without any patching. But expected both the DisplayPort connectors to work out of the box. The HDMI connector not working would not too surprising.

Can you confirm that the two displays connected are in fact connected to one of the DP and the HDMI connectors. That you are not using any adapters or cable adapters to connect your displays.

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
I'm so sorry if I'm being extra confusing - I'm using the 5700 XT with the issue - I happened to test the 6800 XT which worked right away. Another build, my haswell one, has the Vega 56, which also works great. The IOREG is of this 11th gen Rocket Lake with the 5700 XT with the issue.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 5.36.47 PM.png

An interesting thing I noticed when the monitor's on, I checked system report and it does say "DisplayPort/DisplayLink". And for the first time today, with 11.5.2 I saw 165hz, but still no display. Even 1080p@60fps didn't work The one with the problem is the Lenovo Y27Q-20.

Where can I go from here as far as patching it? Or is it a dead beat case and just gotta get another card?
Cause I'm pretty sure this works fine with an RX 570/580 as well

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
DisplayPort connectors show as Thunderbolt/DisplayPort connector in the Graphics System Information report, this is normal.

I assume the Lenovo Y27Q-20 is also connected with a DisplayPort cable. Surprised it is not using the native 2560x1440 resolution and the report is not showing the connector type In use.

Does the Lenovo display work on any of the DisplayPort connectors, also when it is the only screen connected? Are you using the Type-c connector?

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
DisplayPort connectors show as Thunderbolt/DisplayPort connector in the Graphics System Information report, this is normal.

I assume the Lenovo Y27Q-20 is also connected with a DisplayPort cable. Surprised it is not using the native 2560x1440 resolution and the report is not showing the connector type In use.

Does the Lenovo display work on any of the DisplayPort connectors, also when it is the only screen connected? Are you using the Type-c connector?
If it's showing as DisplayPort in system report, wouldn't that rule out connector patching as far as, it is not recognized as HDMI for sure

And yes it is connected by DisplayPort. I believe it is showing the connector type. As for the resolution, I just tried dropping it but no config gets signal, not even going down to 1080p 60fps

Does not work on any of the connectors, not even when it's the only one connected. For comparison, the vega 56 works in any combination of monitors. Single, double, triple, and any combination.

5700 XT so no type c available and it's not being used either.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Sorry I'm not sure what else to suggest. Could just be if the monitors all work as expected on the Vega 56 that the RX5700 XT is defective.

What raises serious concern is the fact the Lenovo screen doesn't work on its own when connected to the 5700 XT from any of the connectors. But works as expected with the Vega 56, including in multi-screen setup. Any screen with the right connector & cable should work when it is the only screen connected.

The combination of the RX 5700 XT and the 2560x1440 Lenovo display is a real conundrum, which I am not sure I am capable of solving.

I assume you have a sufficiently powerful PSU to drive this system, i.e. 600w or greater PSU

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
Sorry I'm not sure what else to suggest. Could just be if the monitors all work as expected on the Vega 56 that the RX5700 XT is defective.

What raises serious concern is the fact the Lenovo screen doesn't work on its own when connected to the 5700 XT from any of the connectors. But works as expected with the Vega 56, including in multi-screen setup. Any screen with the right connector & cable should work when it is the only screen connected.

The combination of the RX 5700 XT and the 2560x1440 Lenovo display is a real conundrum, which I am not sure I am capable of solving.

I assume you have a sufficiently powerful PSU to drive this system, i.e. 600w or greater PSU
Yep, 650w. I think I turned a bit of a leaf. Even in windows the triple monitor initially doesn't work, it caused a lot of glitches and I had to set the Lenovo to 8bpc rgb 444, and then it was fine. The default was 10 bpc ycbcr444. However, when I booted mac and checked the monitor OSD, it reported 8bpc rgb 444, so while I initially thought forcing that mode in mac would solve the problem, it seems it's doing it anyway. I tried changing from DP 1.4 to DP 1.2 which at least got me consistent display but still at 75hz.

Interestingly I've tried two different 5700 XTs, although both MSI. one Mech OC and one Evoke OC. They've both shown this issue, so I believe it to be a chip wide problem. It seems I'll just be selling and forking over some money for a 6900 XT.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Just check the RX 6800/6900 thread over at TMx86, so you don't purchase the wrong or a problematic RX6900 XT card.

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
Got the 6900 XT. Everything worked in Mac right on first boot. All 3 monitors, turning them on and off whenever I please.
Oddly, the Windows one still defaulted to 10 bpc and had black screens and stutters. As soon as I managed to switch it to 8 bpc, works perfectly. Might also have something to do with the fact that it wants to use AMD Freesync Premium with that monitor.
Anywho, 6900 XT was my eventual solution. Problem seems to lie in the 5700 chip as I tried multiple cards. Should anyone experience similar problems in the future, here lies my experience.

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
So! The problem actually came back not even a week or a few boots after.
I don't understand why, as I can now see I definitely tried this method above, but changing from DP 1.4 to DP 1.2 in the monitor OSD solved this problem completely. Please all, try this.

For some insight, it did not work directly with the 5700 XT, but did with the 6900 XT. I was then able to narrow it down to the protocol.
So I believe somewhere there was a problem with the 5700 XT and the protocol setting both.

E: As a computer wiz, this was one of the most long lasting and irritating problems I have ever dealt with - spanning over two months. Very happy and relieved to have finally found the solution! :D