[SOLVED] No UEFI boot option for SSD after Mojave install

macOS
Mobo
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU
ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
I've just installed Mojave to a new SSD but I can't boot it without the USB installer.

Within Mojave I mounted the SSD's EFI partition using Clover Configurator and deleted everything in its EFI folder. I then installed Clover EFI (ticking only the top two boxes for Clover for UEFI booting only and Install Clover in the ESP) and copied over/replaced the Clover and Boot folder. into the EFI folder.

After unmounting and restarting, I went into BIOS to set the boot device priority and I could see the following:

MacOSX
MacOSX
UEFI Kingston Data Traveler
(this is the USB installer I used)
Samsung 860 Evo SSD (this is the SSD onto which I've installed Mojave)

If I choose either of the two MacOSX options or the 860 Evo SSD option I just get a black screen. Presumably I've done something wrong with the Clover installation to SSD? When it's worked should I see a UEFI option for the Mojave SSD or is it worded differently?

macOS
Mobo
Intel HD61DL
CPU
i7-3770
GPU
NVIDIA GT730 Silent
Instead of installing clover, I usually start with copying the USB EFI partition (UEFI Kingston Data Traveler ) contents to the new drive EFI partition (Samsung 860 Evo SSD ). Its as easy as drag and drop, and it guarantees it will boot.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU
Instead of installing clover, I usually start with copying the USB EFI partition (UEFI Kingston Data Traveler ) contents to the new drive EFI partition (Samsung 860 Evo SSD ). Its as easy as drag and drop, and it guarantees it will boot.
After doing that, would you then expect to see another UEFI option in the boot menu, e.g. in my case UEFI Samsung 860 Evo?

I just tried the following:

1. Boot Mojave using USB
2. Mount EFI partition of SSD
3. Mount EFI partition of USB
4. Delete EFI folder from SSD (that was the only thing in there)
5. Copy-and-paste the whole EFI folder from the USB EFI partition to the SSD EFI partition
6. Unmount USB EFI partition
7. Unmount SSD EFI partition
8. Reboot

I've still just got the same boot options as before though and none of them boot to Clover or Mojave :unsure:

macOS
Mobo
Intel HD61DL
CPU
i7-3770
GPU
NVIDIA GT730 Silent
Is you BIOS updated? Is there a menu for boot override? What are your boot options from BIOS? Is there a boot menu key (F12) that will let you choose something else?

macOS
Mobo
Intel HD61DL
CPU
i7-3770
GPU
NVIDIA GT730 Silent
Was your drive formatted GPT or MBR?

macOS
Mobo
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU
I've just checked my BIOS so I can make sure I get these right word-for-word. If I disconnect the USB installer then I'm left with the following boot options:

Mac OS X
Mac OS X
P3: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500 GB

I'm not sure why there are two Mac OS X options (but let's face it, I'm not sure about much when it comes to this :LOL:)

When I formatted the SSD prior to installation I used these options:

Name: Hackintosh
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Is that right?

macOS
Mobo
Intel HD61DL
CPU
i7-3770
GPU
NVIDIA GT730 Silent
That looks correct. Not sure why the Samsung SSD is not showing as a UEFI boot option. When you made the original USB installer, did you create it for LEGACY or UEFI (looks like it shows up as UEFI)?

macOS
Mobo
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU
I think I created it for UEFI, as I ticked the top two boxes shown in step 2 of this guide:

https://hackintosher.com/guides/how-to-make-a-clover-hackintosh-bootloader/

Install for UEFI booting only
Install Clover in the ESP

And then below that, in the Drivers64UEFI section, I selected these:

AudioDxe
DataHubDxe
FSInject
SMCHelper
ApfsDriverLoader
VBoxHfs
AptioMemoryFix
AppleImageCodec
AppleKeyAggregator
AppleUITheme
FirmwareVolume
PartitionDxe

macOS
Mobo
Intel HD61DL
CPU
i7-3770
GPU
NVIDIA GT730 Silent
It is strange that your USB boots fine but when you copy it to SSD it does not show up. Very strange indeed. I have always had success with the method of copying the USB to the SSD, then tweaking things on the SSD and if I get a failure I can still boot with the USB.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU
I've scoured Google some more and stumbled on this (see post #6):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-uefi-boot-issue.238220/

I wonder if this is my issue as he also has an ASUS motherboard and the BIOS looks almost identical to mine.

I'm not sure what they mean when they refer to Clover EFI shell though. Does that mean anything to you?

macOS
Mobo
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU
I worked it out and that was the solution. I've now got an entry in my list of boot devices called "Clover", which corresponds to Clover on the SSD's EFI partition, and it boots fine :D

So it was all down to my mobo firmware not allowing booting from a file placed at /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

I found the Clover EFI shell and ran:

map
fs2:
cd efi
cd clover
bcfg boot add 0 cloverx64.efi "Clover"

Working out which drive was the correct one in the output from map was a bit tricky but the rest was ok.

Latest posts