oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
Hi guys, i am building the usb for a Catalina install with Opencore 0.6.6 I am wondering if the plist which is update with the ProperTree after the gathering of files, can this updating with ProperTree be done again after we have gone to the section where we are creating the SMbIOS ?

Reason is, i am only now coming across two additional dsdt files, which i have added into the EFI folder, but i don't think it is in the Plist. Or i have to go through the whole PROCESS from the beginning :( :( ?

Also, i am getting the below error message when i am trying to obtain the serial number. My computer was connected to the internet. Am i missing anything ? thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.00.40 PM.png

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No you don't have to start from the Beginning, when you amend an OC folder.

If you have finished making amendments to the OC sub-folders, do the following:
  1. Open your config.plist with ProperTree.
  2. Navigate to the ProperTree File menu and select the 'OC Clean Snapshot' option.
  3. This will bring up a Finder Window, navigate to and select the OC folder you have amended.
    • Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 16.20.40.png
  4. ProperTree will automatically add or remove any SSDT's, drivers, kexts or tools that are in the OC sub-folders, including any changes you have made, to update the config.plist.
No idea why you couldn't generate a new SMBIOS, possibly a momentary Internet spaz. Just try again.

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
No you don't have to start from the Beginning, when you amend an OC folder.

If you have finished making amendments to the OC sub-folders, do the following:
  1. Open your config.plist with ProperTree.
  2. Navigate to the ProperTree File menu and select the 'OC Clean Snapshot' option.
  3. This will bring up a Finder Window, navigate to and select the OC folder you have amended.
  4. ProperTree will automatically add or remove any SSDT's, drivers, kexts or tools that are in the OC sub-folders, including any changes you have made, to update the config.plist.
No idea why you couldn't generate a new SMBIOS, possibly a momentary Internet spaz. Just try again.
Thank you Edhawk for your reply. Clear and simple replies, which noobs like me understand.

I will update the plist then. As for the Gensmbios, do i have to install it in my computer ? I am actually just running the command !

Maybe there is an issue because i did not install some software. I was actually creating this thumb drive in a Hackintosh running on a hardisk drive, when i reached the plist editing part, the machine became very laggy, i then pulled the thumb and put it into my current hackintosh (both running El capitan) and continued editing the plist. I am now wondering if i need to install some command line in order for the Gensmbios to work. I downloaded the Gensmbios again, still sam issue.

Last edited:

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
I would also like to ask on as to which part of the plist i edit to input the model of my GPU, in the guide they only mention about igpu.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You don't need to add anything to the config.plist for your Discrete GPU (R9 280), the drivers etc. are already in macOS. Just make sure you have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /OC/Kexts folder. WhateverGreen.kext will take care of your AMD GPU settings.

With regards most Corpnewt's scripts you can just continue to run the command in macOS. That is the normal way to run the python scripts.

The version of Python on your other Hacks, pre-installed as part of the OS, may be older than the one Corpnewt used to create the scripts, that might be the reason for the lag. I have installed the latest versions of Python on my hack and haven't noticed any issues. I am however running Catalina and Big Sur (on two separate NVMe drives) so they wouldn't be using the old version of Python from El Capitan.

With the likes of ProperTree there is an option to create an Application, which can be placed in your Applications folder. You can then set ProperTree as the default plist editor on your system, as the app will appear in the list of options for opening any plist files.

To create the ProperTree App, do the following:
  1. Navigate to the ProperTree-Master folder,
    • Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.17.28.png
  2. Navigate to the Scripts folder,
  3. Select the 'build-up.command' double-click the command,
    • Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.18.06.png
  4. When you see the following window/alert click on 'Open'
    • Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.18.50.png
  5. A Terminal window will open, hopefully stating the command has completed successfully.
    • Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.19.52.png
  6. The App will be saved to the ProperTree-Master folder, as shown below:
    • Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.32.58.png
  7. Simply select and drag he ProperTree App to your Applications folder. It should now be one of the default apps to open plist files. IF you have Xcode or Clover Configurator, or OC Configurator installed on your system, they will also in the 'Open With' list of apps when you right-click on a config or info.plist.
    • Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.36.00.png

I choose to have the ProperTree app in my Applications folder, because it is easier. I just need to remember to update/replace the App whenever I download a new version.

The option to create an app isn't available with any of his other scripts, just ProperTree. See this screenshot showing the other scripts Corpnewt has created:

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 15.09.06.png

Hope this is helpful.

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
You don't need to add anything to the config.plist for your Discrete GPU (R9 280), the drivers etc. are already in macOS. Just make sure you have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /OC/Kexts folder. WhateverGreen.kext will take care of your AMD GPU settings.

With regards most Corpnewt's scripts you can just continue to run the command in macOS. That is the normal way to run the python scripts.

The version of Python on your other Hacks, pre-installed as part of the OS, may be older than the one Corpnewt used to create the scripts, that might be the reason for the lag. I have installed the latest versions of Python on my hack and haven't noticed any issues. I am however running Catalina and Big Sur (on two separate NVMe drives) so they wouldn't be using the old version of Python from El Capitan.

With the likes of ProperTree there is an option to create an Application, which can be placed in your Applications folder. You can then set ProperTree as the default plist editor on your system, as the app will appear in the list of options for opening any plist files.

To create the ProperTree App, do the following:
  1. Navigate to the ProperTree-Master folder,
  2. Navigate to the Scripts folder,
  3. Select the 'build-up.command' double-click the command,
  4. When you see the following window/alert click on 'Open'
  5. A Terminal window will open, hopefully stating the command has completed successfully.
  6. The App will be saved to the ProperTree-Master folder, as shown below:
  7. Simply select and drag he ProperTree App to your Applications folder. It should now be one of the default apps to open plist files. IF you have Xcode or Clover Configurator, or OC Configurator installed on your system, they will also in the 'Open With' list of apps when you right-click on a config or info.plist.

I choose to have the ProperTree app in my Applications folder, because it is easier. I just need to remember to update/replace the App whenever I download a new version.

The option to create an app isn't available with any of his other scripts, just ProperTree. See this screenshot showing the other scripts Corpnewt has created:

View attachment 10968

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the much detailed explanation on the ProperTree installation. Currently i do not have an issue with it, i have not installed i, i am just using the command. I did once click the app but have not placed it in the Applications folder.

Again, thank you for the trouble taken in providing the screen shots.

As for the SmBios generator, i think the generator does not work in such a dated OS as mine, i got hold of a mac mini which is running a catalina patch and tried from it, IT WORKED !!

Got the serial generated, its an unregistered serial :). As for the MAC address, i just copied from the Hackintosh which i am now running, is that fine ? Can i change this once the build has been installed ?

GPU- thats fantastic, yes i have input both those kexts.

Tried to boot the USB, have some errors and ends with a blank screen. Will open a fresh thread for the same.

That you again Edhawk, appreciate your time taken.