[SOLVED] Upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur : Safe?

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
ASUS AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX, OC Edition
Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade from Mojave to either the now fully mature Big Sur or Catalina.

As long as I update all my kext's before the ugrade using the app store, is there anything I should watch out for?

Current config is using Clover as my bootloader.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Updating to Catalina with your Clover setup should be fairly straightforward.

If you are thinking of upgrading to Big Sur you may be better off switching from Clover to OpenCore.

The System shown in your User profile is fully supported in Big Sur and will be in macOS Monterey, which is due for release on Monday 25th October 2021.

I would recommend you create a bootable backup/clone of your current Mojave drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Both have full Cloning capabilities when in trial format. You would need to copy your current Clover EFI folder to the EFI partition on the clone drive, to make a standalone fully bootable drive.

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
I'm so glad I took your advice and made a backup because Catalina doesn't seem to want to install. I downloaded Catalina from the app store (10.15.7) and started the install. At the reboot after selecting install at the clover screen it hangs on the black screen with the Apple logo. Any thoughts what could be causing this?

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Also for context, if I choose to boot from my usual OS at the clover screen i'm back into Mojave with everything working as normal so it seems like something is stopping Catalina from running the Installer.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Can you post a photos of the Verbose Text/Kernel Panic you are getting when you try to install Catalina. Need a bit of help to see what could be causing the issue. If it automatically reboots, i.e. too fast to take a photo of the screen, then you need to add these three boot arguments to your setup:

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 00.12.30.png

Post a copy of your Clover folder, so I can check that everything is in order for the Catalina upgrade.

Remember to delete/redact your Serial Number, Board Serial number/MLB from your config.plist before you post a copy here.

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Can you post a photos of the Verbose Text/Kernel Panic you are getting when you try to install Catalina. Need a bit of help to see what could be causing the issue. If it automatically reboots, i.e. too fast to take a photo of the screen, then you need to add these three boot arguments to your setup:

View attachment 12316

Post a copy of your Clover folder, so I can check that everything is in order for the Catalina upgrade.

Remember to delete/redact your Serial Number, Board Serial number/MLB from your config.plist before you post a copy here.
Here's my clover folder with Serial Number and Board Serial number removed from the SMBIOS.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zh6grjj6noq4m2q/AAAeEpH8z9j6Rld5ROHOcY2-a?dl=0

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Verbose text here

PXL_20211027_004433265.MP.jpg

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Common error, usually related to missing SSDT's.

I think you need to add SSDT-EC-DESKTOP.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Copy of the two SSDT's are attached. See if they help.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
As you have an SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V6.aml) in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, which deals with your USB port configuration, you don't need to have any Raise USB port Limit Patches enabled in your config.plist. You have the 4x patches for Mojave 10.14.5 and the patch for High Sierra 10.13.6 enabled.

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 14.59.08.png Kernel and Kext Patches tab in Clover Configurator - USB patches

The patches highlighted in the screenshot above can be disabled or completely removed.

Also the Firmware for your iMac18,3 SMBIOS needs to be updated. Not the Serial number etc. Just the Firmware.

You can do this by selecting the 'Update Firmware Only' option (1) on the SMBIOS tab in Clover Configurator. You then would need to reselect the iMac18,3 SMBIOS from the dropdown list (2)

The options and order they need to be selected has been highlighted in the screenshot below:

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 15.03.28.png SMBIOS tab - Update Firmware Only

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Thanks for the above, to cut a long story short, something went catastrophically wrong and neither main or backup would boot so I ended up installing Big Sur 11.6 with an opencore install and couldn't be happier as I won't need to upgrade the OS for at least 2 years if Adobe's current support model continues.

What's the best method of updating kext's in Opencore? Clover was simple as you did it through the configurator.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Use Hackintool to inspect the current versions of the kexts in your system. This is done by navigating to the 'Extensions' tab in Hackintool.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 19.28.31.png Extensions Tab - 'Show Installed Only' highlighted in red rectangle.

You can stretch/resize the Hackintool window to show more or less information.

Select the 'Show Installed Only' option below the list of Extensions. So only the ones you use are inspected.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 19.30.02.png Only Installed kexts shown, with 'Refresh' icon highlighted.

Select the 'Refresh' icon to see if any kexts need updating.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 21.13.25.png Download icon highlighted, as are the three populated columns.
  • Installed - Cyan
  • Current - Red
  • Download - Magenta
After the 'Refresh button has been selected the Current and Download columns are populated, in the example above all my kexts are up to date with the 'Download' versions.

The Current Version always seems to be one ahead of the pre-compiled kexts that can be downloaded via this app.

If any of the kexts you use are older than the download version, then they will be highlighted with a dark red line. By selecting the 'tick' box highlighted in the Orange rectangle and then selecting the Download icon, your system will automatically download the selected kexts.

The selected kexts will be downloaded to a folder on your desktop named 'Hackintool_Kexts'.

These kexts can be dragged and dropped or copy and pasted to the /OC/Kexts folder in your EFI.

As these kexts are already installed in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder you don't need to change or add any new kext entries in your config.plist.

However, you would need to add the details for any 'new' kexts to the config.plist, were you to add any. As without the config.plist entry the 'new' kext will not be used.

Hope this helps.

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Use Hackintool to inspect the current versions of the kexts in your system. This is done by navigating to the 'Extensions' tab in Hackintool.

View attachment 12322 Extensions Tab - 'Show Installed Only' highlighted in red rectangle.

You can stretch/resize the Hackintool window to show more or less information.

Select the 'Show Installed Only' option below the list of Extensions. So only the ones you use are inspected.

View attachment 12323 Only Installed kexts shown, with 'Refresh' icon highlighted.

Select the 'Refresh' icon to see if any kexts need updating.

View attachment 12325 Download icon highlighted, as are the three populated columns.
  • Installed - Cyan
  • Current - Red
  • Download - Magenta
After the 'Refresh button has been selected the Current and Download columns are populated, in the example above all my kexts are up to date with the 'Download' versions.

The Current Version always seems to be one ahead of the pre-compiled kexts that can be downloaded via this app.

If any of the kexts you use are older than the download version, then they will be highlighted with a dark red line. By selecting the 'tick' box highlighted in the Orange rectangle and then selecting the Download icon, your system will automatically download the selected kexts.

The selected kexts will be downloaded to a folder on your desktop named 'Hackintool_Kexts'.

These kexts can be dragged and dropped or copy and pasted to the /OC/Kexts folder in your EFI.

As these kexts are already installed in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder you don't need to change or add any new kext entries in your config.plist.

However, you would need to add the details for any 'new' kexts to the config.plist, were you to add any. As without the config.plist entry the 'new' kext will not be used.

Hope this helps.
That's perfect, thank you so much.

Latest posts