[SOLVED] Upgrading to Nvidia Graphics from iGPU in 10.13.5 Hackintosh?

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
IntelHD 630 (Upgrading to GTX 1070)
Hey guys,

I've had my hackintosh all set up and working correctly, without a graphics card for a couple months now, using just the intelHD 630 on my 7700k, and now I've finally ordered a GPU (1070).

[Using a MSI Z270 Tomahawk motherboard as well]

I'm just wondering what I need to do to make the transition to make everything work once it's installed? I'm hoping I do not need to do another fresh install.

Do I need to change bios settings? Do I need to update some things in Clover? What things should I be prepared for before I install the card on my system and install web drivers?

This is also a windows system as well.

Thanks!

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Can you post a copy of your config.plist file after removing the serial numbers in SMBIOS?

You might want to also consider getting a script for keeping the NVIDIA drivers up to date and resigning them for incompatible versions of the OS. I use this one personally because it maintains a blacklist of bad drivers which was helpful earlier in the High Sierra launch.

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
So should I just delete the serial number that's listed in the SMBIOS section when I open the config.plist in clover and then just save and post that?
And what about "board serial number"?

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Alright I looked through your file and I would make the following changes:

[Boot]
Turn off nv_disable=1
Add shikivga=12 to the Custom Flags textbox below

[Kernel and Kext Patches]
AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (the 2nd patch) is no longer needed in High Sierra, so I would consider disabling it if you find it interferes with your new GPU

[System Parameters]
Check NvidiaWeb

The Boot and System Parameters changes should be enough to get you booted with the 1070. You will also want Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, and NVIDIAGraphicsFixup.kext from the Downloads section here.

I would also suggest the following optional changes:

[Boot]
You have LastBootedVolume set as the default, but also have the -1 option, which will prevent Clover continuing without your intervention. If you want Clover to boot by default, I would suggest removing -1 and adding a timeout of 3 seconds or so.

Changing darkwake from 8 to 10 may improve sleep.

[Devices]
Enabling HighCurrent under USB will let you charge connected USB devices faster if your hardware can handle it

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
Alright, thanks, I'll put these in and install the gpu now. I'll update when I'm done. I also went ahead and used that script and installed the drivers while waiting for your reply. Im assuming I should run it again once the gpu is actually in the system?

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
You should be able to just select the correct driver after boot from the NVIDIA Driver Manager pane in System Preferences. The script only needs to be run after OS updates usually.

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
Alright! It's all installed. Everything seems to be working atm. Plugged into the montor via displayport, and the card shows up in the About This Mac. Sorry I took a while. My first pc build and installing the graphics card into the psu was kinda a hassled with everything else already plugged in and whatnot.

I remember that when I installed MacOS, there was a few options in the BIOS that I had to do for when I was setting it up to be an integrated graphics computer.. should I change those settings to reflect an install as if I had the nvidia gpu in the first place?

Also, I preferred being able to pick which OS to boot up from when I started my computer.. is that the "LastBootVolume" settings that I changed? Before it would boot up and Clover boot loader would wait for me to select which partition to boot from and I liked that.

Thanks so much btw

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
In my bios I have
Primary Graphics Adapter set to PCIe
IGPU Mulyi-Monitor set to Enabled
Share Memory set to 128M

I don’t like completely disabling the iGPU because with your config you should be able to utilize it for QuickSync, AirPlay and better video playback.

Re: wanting to choose what to boot, then just remove LastBootedVolume and leave that area blank.

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
The Nvidiagraphicsfixup kext in the downloads section linked to a page that linked to another download that said it is merged with the other graphics kexts, and that kext is now called WhateverGreen and it might have shiki as well. I downloaded that, but also shiki because you mentioned to have "shikivga" in custom flags so I didn't wanna change too much from what you suggested.

Here's that link to see if it's ok:
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

jaggedcow

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Pro 4
CPU
i5 8600k
GPU
NVIDIA 1070ti
Huh that’s cool. I guess the advice now then is just use WhateverGreen if you have any non-Intel graphics card

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
Seems so! Everything's working the way I want now. I had to plug back in my hdmi through the motherboard to change the bios otherwise my monitor wasnt reading anything until it got into mac.
One last thing, do you know why my Clover bootloader resolution is coming up as a stretched, what seems to be 720p screen?
Not really a problem, but I'd like to fix that back to 1440p if theres a way to fix it

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
CPU
i7-7700k
GPU
I found that setting named as something else according to a forum on the MSI website. Totally fixed it. Thanks so much! Listing this post as solved now.