[SOLVED] USB3 Ports only at USB2 Speed

aab23c

macOS
Mobo
asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac
CPU
GPU
xfx 580 black edition 8gb
Okay all, after a couple years away I have come back to hackintoshing, and tried a dice role on converting my current winbox, and it was pretty smooth all things considered, except for the USB ports.
Box:
Asrock z370 killer SLI/AC
32 gig, lots of drives, etc, etc

Everything “works” except for WiFi, even Bluetooth worked, which was nice...back to the problem

At first, I didn’t notice anything, just did the normal multibeast usbinjectall.kext and have a nice day, but after getting all my software installed I noticed that my Elgato hd60s was not connecting. Downloaded hacktool to see what was going on, and as you can see in the image below XHC for 200-series is the one showing.
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.58.12 PM.png

So doing some research on the forums, and elsewhere, it looks like usbinjectall is simply not the best solution, and that I may need to use xhci-unsupported...so okay tried that, no good. Added fakepciid and fakepccid_xhcimux, no good. All of this was done in ~library or system/library. Then I pulled all the above and GenericUSBXHCI, and restart, and same. Then added each individual to the efi partition under the Other folder, restart, nothing, nothing, etc, etc.

Through all of this, I noticed in hacktool that the shown controller never changed, and ALL those USB ports were showing...my board does not have that many ports, so something does not look to be loaded right.

I then disconnected all the usb devices, and attempted to to use a USB2 stick port by port to see which ones show up. The ports highlighted in green are the real ports, listed below as well.

Active USB ports on Computer
HS01 0x01 - Keyboard
HS02 0x02 - Mouse
HS03 0x03
HS04 0x04
HS09 0x09
HS10 0x0A - alive but never connected / but checked and active
HS11 0x0B - Type C
HS12 0x0C - IOUSBHost Device
HS13 0x0D

A few oddities
  1. I don’t know what IOUSBHost Device is on HS12, nothing was connected at that was showing
  2. HS10 was always active with nothing in it, but when i did plug the usbstick it, it recognized it was connected
  3. HS11 is a type c port, and the only port on the board that actively sees the HD60 S..
  • however as you can see from the picture the elgato software is reporting that the device needs to be connected to a USB3 port. I can confirm the board is all USB3 no two, so its got to be a driver loaded somewhere.
  • Another thing of interest is that I use a large hub for a lot of accessories, the hub is a USB3 hub, but showed up in hacktool as a usb 2 hub.
  • All the port speeds are reporting only USB2 or USB1 not USB3, so that is my main problem...I dont know how to fix that
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 7.59.00 AM.png

What I don’t know how to do, at least not well, is make a custom dsdt or what else to try to clear the board on those extra USB ports.

Any suggestions on what else to try to change would be great, happy to provide more info if needed

Oh only the version of the clover boot loader that comes in unibeast boots my box, when i attempted to update clover to the newest version, all goes to hell and I have to use my install USB to get back in and restore the older boot loader.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
According to the specification for your board it has the following USB ports - https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370 Killer SLIac/index.asp#Specification

Internal Connectors:
- 2 x USB 2.0 Headers (Support 4 USB 2.0 ports)
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports + 2 USB ports)
- 1 x Front Panel Type C USB 3.1 Gen1 Header (supports 1 USB 3.1 + 1 USB 2.0 ports)

Rear I/O plate:
- 5 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A Ports (Supports 5 USB 3.1 + 5 USB 2.0 ports)
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C Port (Supports 1 USB 3.1 + 1 USB 2.0 ports)

Each USB 2.0 port should be counted as one port and identified on the HSXX controller
Each USB 3.1 port should be counted as two ports, a USB 2.0 port on the HSXX controller and a USB3.1 port on the SSXX controller.

Total number of ports available = 22 ports.

Apple have a USB port limit of 15 ports.

The image above showing your ports in Hackintool only shows the first 15 ports!

You need to add a Raise USB Port Limit patch to your config.plist for the other USB 3.1 ports to be visible and have Rehabman's USBInjectAll.kext installed to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or /Library/Extensions.

Do not install third-party kexts to /System/Library/Extensions under any circumstances.

A list of USB port limit patches are shown on this page - https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/list-of-hackintosh-usb-port-limit-patches-10-14-updated.467/

1. Add the patch for the version of Mojave you installed to your config.plist.
  2. Add USBInstallAll.kext to /L/E or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  3. Then reboot your system and have a look at Hackintool to see, what difference this made.
  4. If you see no difference after adding the patch and USBInstallAll.kext, simply delete all the ports (second button from the left) on the USB tab in Hackintool, then refresh the tab/window (using the middle button).
  5. You will need to retest all your ports with a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0/3.1 device.
  6. Remove all the unused ports
  7. Remove any ports you don't need, so you have a maximum of 15 ports in the Hackintool window.
  8. Export/create your USBPorts.kext (last button on the right).
  9. This will add a kext on your desktop, which you can place in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  10. You will then need to disable or remove any patches from your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and config.plist.
  11. Reboot your system and the ports you set in Hackintool will be available, as long as you have the USBPorts.kext in your Other folder.
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 15.39.11.png screenshot of Hackintool USB tab from my iMac 1 system.

aab23c

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
Thank you so much for your reply... I have hit a snag.

1. Add the patch for the version of Mojave you installed to your config.plist. Done, running 10.14.3
    Clover Settings.png
  2. Add USBInstallAll.kext to /L/E or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other Done
    File in EFI.png
  3. Then reboot your system and have a look at Hackintool to see, what difference this made. No differences (first image)
    After 1st Restart.png
  4. If you see no difference after adding the patch and USBInstallAll.kext, simply delete all the ports (second button from the left) on the USB tab in Hackintool, then refresh the tab/window (using the middle button). Did that and after refresh, still no change (next Image)
    Post Remove and Refresh.png
    I attempted to add xhci-unsupported.kext from the OS-X-USB-inject-All-Master that was listed in the steps on the page you linked to, but also no change. I did not continue after this point as nothing looked to be different. The only other thing I did check is that the board is plugged into USB3, and the USB2 Headers are not plugged in.
  5. You will need to retest all your ports with a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0/3.1 device.
  6. Remove all the unused ports
  7. Remove any ports you don't need, so you have a maximum of 15 ports in the Hackintool window.
  8. Export/create your USBPorts.kext (last button on the right).
  9. This will add a kext on your desktop, which you can place in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  10. You will then need to disable or remove any patches from your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and config.plist.
  11. Reboot your system and the ports you set in Hackintool will be available, as long as you have the USBPorts.kext in your Other folder.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Attach a copy of your IOReg, using IORegistryExplorer v2.1 (not any other version of IOReg), copy can be downloaded from Vulgo's GitHub page - https://github.com/vulgo/IORegistryExplorer

This will show more of your system information than Hackintool.

Can you also attach a copy of your CLOVER folder so I can see what DSDT and other fixes you are using.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
The patches below have been copied from a config.plist using Clover Configurator in 'Text Mode' they look a lot different in Clover Configurator using the GUI window:

<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>Patches</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change _OSI to XOSI</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
X09TSQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WE9TSQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change _DSM to XDSM</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
X0RTTQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WERTTQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EC0 to EC</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUMwXw==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUNfXw==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change H_EC to EC</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SF9FQw==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUNfXw==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMg==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMg==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change XHCI to XHC</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
WEhDSQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WEhDXw==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change XHC1 to XHC</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
WEhDMQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WEhDXw==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change HECI to IMEI</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SEVDSQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SU1FSQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change GFX0 to IGPU</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
R0ZYMA==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SUdQVQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change SAT0 to SATA</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
U0FUMA==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
U0FUQQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change GLAN to GIGE</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
R0xBTg==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
R0lHRQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change LPC to LPCB</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
TFBDXw==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
TFBDQg==
</data>
</dict>
</array>

These are the common DSDT rename patches I usually add to a config.plist.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
These screenshots show the same rename patches in the GUI window, not all of them are available from the drop down list of patches in Clover Configurator:

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 17.11.33.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 17.11.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 17.12.42.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 17.12.57.png

The only patches you don't need are the EHCX to EHXX patches, shown on the second screenshot. I believe the rest should be included in your config.plist.

aab23c

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
just seeing this all now. Here are the copy of ioreg (ver 2.1) and the clover folder, going to examine the changes and patches you list above.

Attachments

aab23c

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
Okay, Update: Added all the above, without the EHCX to EHXX patches, no change. Added the EHCX to EHXX patches, no change.

USB3 devices do not populate when looking at hacktool, the exception being disk drives, but they still show as max speed of 480mbps (usb2) usb2 devices do show, as well as smaller (the corsair wireless keyboard/mouse)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
I will have a look at the files you posted and get back to you tomorrow.

aab23c

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
no worries, thanks for the effort!

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
The Port-Limit patch no longer works in Mojave so adding it along with any extra DSDT patches isn’t going to help you.

I see that none of your USB3 ports are injected therefore no USB3 speeds. You need to create a SSDT-UIAC.aml for your specific motherboard and place it in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Your CLOVER folder is not really set for your system. It is very bare of the fixes and options needed for your Coffee Lake system.

The IOReg you provided was copied before you added any of the rename patches I provided above, so none of the items were named correctly in the IOReg.

I have amended your CLOVER folder and config.plist to a closer match to your system. I have not changed your smbios to 18.3 as I do not know what effect that would have on your XFX RX580. I have also not added an ig-platform-id entry for your Intel UHD 630 GPU. I have aded the DSDT rename patches and a few other fixes/options that should make your system run better, i.e. CPU power management. I have added a SSDT-XOSI to your /CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder to work with the XOSI rename patch.

PM Heart has created a number of new patches that are supposed to work with Mojave. I have added these and a Disable Board Id check patch to the KextsToPatch section of the config.plist in the attached CLOVER folder.

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 00.31.44.png

Replace your current CLOVER folder with the one I have attached and let me know how you get on.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
The Port-Limit patch no longer works in Mojave so adding it along with any extra DSDT patches isn’t going to help you.

I see that none of your USB3 ports are injected therefore no USB3 speeds. You need to create a SSDT-UIAC.aml for your specific motherboard and place it in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
Thanks for that! I found this youtube vid
View: https://youtu.be/md60ILMenDY
that walked me through all of Rehabman’s ssdt creation. Worked nearly perfectly. The only thing I did not get working with this was the Type-C port on my board. Even if I would have it would have been the 16th port, so I can live without it.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
Your CLOVER folder is not really set for your system. It is very bare of the fixes and options needed for your Coffee Lake system.

The IOReg you provided was copied before you added any of the rename patches I provided above, so none of the items were named correctly in the IOReg.

I have amended your CLOVER folder and config.plist to a closer match to your system. I have not changed your smbios to 18.3 as I do not know what effect that would have on your XFX RX580. I have also not added an ig-platform-id entry for your Intel UHD 630 GPU. I have aded the DSDT rename patches and a few other fixes/options that should make your system run better, i.e. CPU power management. I have added a SSDT-XOSI to your /CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder to work with the XOSI rename patch.

PM Heart has created a number of new patches that are supposed to work with Mojave. I have added these and a Disable Board Id check patch to the KextsToPatch section of the config.plist in the attached CLOVER folder.

View attachment 2340

Replace your current CLOVER folder with the one I have attached and let me know how you get on.
Wow! Thanks for all that work, I will get back to you tomorrow with the result!

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
Final update :) everything is working silky smooth now. Added all the updates from @Edhawk and then only 2 monitors worked :-(, but some searching and I found this link on the site https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/solved-rx560-3-monitors-not-working.32/ from someone that had a similar issue @Hackintosher solved their problem with a kext patcher, so I swung on that, and what do you know, it worked. Thank you to both of you for your assistance!

As of now the only things that are not "working" are:
Wifi - Because its was the stock intel chip that came with the board, although bluetooth is working fine. I may by a replacement model at somepoint but no need right now.
the Type C port "works" but only is HS mode, but like I said, I really dont have anything to connect to it now, so I am not worried about it