macOS
Mobo
Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Hi there!
I really could use some help. I'm trying to install Catalina on a computer with Asus ROG Maximux XII Extreme, a Intel i9 10900K and a RTX 2080, with 64 GB RAM.
I followed the steps at tonymacx86, using UniBeast. I created the USB drive, I get to the Clover menu, and when I select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina I get stuck at the apple logo. No progress bar, nothing at all.
If I check the verbose mode, this is what I get (see attached).
I followed some videos with the reccommended BIOS settings, so that should be ok. I also tried with the USB pen in different USB ports...
Can anyone help me please? I am a little bit lost.
Thanks!

Attachments

John1988

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i5 10600
GPU
Powercolor RX 5700
I can't say if that is the specific reason for the issue, but your RTX 2080 is not supported. As far as I know Turing cards are not supported in any MacOS version.
Here's a list of supported GPUs: https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#native-amd-gpus

I suggest you use OpenCore instead of Clover. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/
In my experience, OC works much better than Clover and the boot process seems so much faster with OC. It may not be as easy as with Clover, but the end result is worth the extra time spend.

Last edited:

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
I can't say if that is the specific reason for the issue, but your RTX 2080 is not supported. As far as I know Turing cards are not supported in any MacOS version.
Here's a list of supported GPUs: https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#native-amd-gpus

I suggest you use OpenCore instead of Clover. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/
In my experience, OC works much better than Clover and the boot process seems so much faster with OC. It may not be as easy as with Clover, but the end result is worth the extra time spend.
Thank you John. I will have a look into OpenCore, seems quite a more complex process, but maybe it's worth a try...
Thank you.

John1988

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i5 10600
GPU
Powercolor RX 5700
Thank you John. I will have a look into OpenCore, seems quite a more complex process, but maybe it's worth a try...
Thank you.
It is a lot more complex to use OpenCore compared to Clover, so take your time understanding the whole process when setting up and using OpenCore. Maybe you can find some guides on YouTube or in forums that uses the same motherboard or very similar to it, if it seems too overwhelming.
And remember, regardless of you using Clover or OpenCore, the RTX 2080 is not supported in MacOS and most likely never will be. Until the RX 6000 Series gets support in MacOS, the best supported GPUs are RX 5700 / 5700 XT.

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
It is a lot more complex to use OpenCore compared to Clover, so take your time understanding the whole process when setting up and using OpenCore. Maybe you can find some guides on YouTube or in forums that uses the same motherboard or very similar to it, if it seems too overwhelming.
And remember, regardless of you using Clover or OpenCore, the RTX 2080 is not supported in MacOS and most likely never will be. Until the RX 6000 Series gets support in MacOS, the best supported GPUs are RX 5700 / 5700 XT.
Thank you John. I'll look for videos using the Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme... although this is a quite particular mobo. Anyways I need to find a different graphic card before that...

Thank you!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your motherboard and CPU are supported in Big Sur and probably the 10.15.7 release of Catalina.

However your RTX 2080 is not supported in any version of macOS, and it is never going to be supported.

You would need to disable the Nvidia card and use the IGPU from your CPU when running macOS.

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Your motherboard and CPU are supported in Big Sur and probably the 10.15.7 release of Catalina.

However your RTX 2080 is not supported in any version of macOS, and it is never going to be supported.

You would need to disable the Nvidia card and use the IGPU from your CPU when running macOS.
Thank you @Edhawk ... A guy just told me the same. The problem is that this motherboard doesn't have an integrated graphic port, so I guess I can't use the internal iGPU, right? Or should it be somehow mapped through the RTX?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Intel i9 10900K contains an IGPU. The 'F' series of CPU's lack an IGPU. So you can use the i9 10900K's IGPU for running macOS.

You would be best served removing the RTX 2080 while installing macOS, to save you some unnecessary problems when booting and installing the OS.

You can reinstall the RTX card after the OS is setup. But you would need to disable the RTX card when running macOS. This can be done with either a boot argument or a custom SSDT.

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Hey @Edhawk , thanks! The 10900K may have an iGPU, but the ROG Maximus XII Extreme doesn't have any graphics output, so, am I missing something? How am I supposed to plug my screen to the computer? :/

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of... :(
No, I haven't installed the TEX3 card... why?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Just curious, because it links to the Discrete GPU and allows display connections via the thunderbolt ports.

However, without a supported dGPU you are not going to have much joy running macOS on this system.

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Yes... I think the first step is changing this graphic card. Anyways, I also have a NUC10 with an i7, so before changing the graphic card, I'm going to load Catalina in the NUC, hopefully I will be more lucky with this... :/

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Thanks @Edhawk ! I didn't know that guide. I have seen this video though:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvgvA2xV7I8&ab_channel=jackyyj

It's the same NUC10 I have, and seems more recent, so I may give it a try (although I miss some post-install configuration in the video... the guy doesn't copy his EFI folder into the hard disk EFI partition, not he shows if WiFi and sound are working, or if he changes the serial number and so...

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Pick and mix between the two guides. The one I linked has working WiFi and sound, allegedly.

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Hey @Edhawk , I was checking step by step that guide you shared with me... I don't understand this... I don't know if I am missing something, but I don't know what should I do:
In order to get Wi-Fi working, you need to manually EFI/OC/Kexts/itlwmx.kext/Contents/Info.plist duo to itlwm.
Do you know what does he mean? Should I just download itlwm to my EFI/OC/Kexts?? (I read I shouldn't use it and Airportitlwm together... but I don't understand when I should use one or the other...).

Thanks!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Have a read of this GitHub FAQ it explains what to do and what not to do - https://openintelwireless.github.io/itlwm/Installation.html#itlwm

They are basically two different projects looking to do the same thing, get Intel WiFi cards working in macOS. But they have been derived from two different sources. So they don't work together.

itlwm.kext gets macOS to think the WiFi card is an Ethernet port, so some features like Location services, Handoff, Continuity etc don't work,

Airportitlwm.kext works as a WiFi card with some limited functionality with regards Apple functions such as handoff and Location Services.

First thing you need to do is to check that your Intel WiFi card is compatible - https://openintelwireless.github.io/itlwm/Compat.html

Then decide which functions you need/want from your NUC's WiFi.

rayjaken

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i9 10900K
GPU
Nvidia RTX 2080
Have a read of this GitHub FAQ it explains what to do and what not to do - https://openintelwireless.github.io/itlwm/Installation.html#itlwm

They are basically two different projects looking to do the same thing, get Intel WiFi cards working in macOS. But they have been derived from two different sources. So they don't work together.

itlwm.kext gets macOS to think the WiFi card is an Ethernet port, so some features like Location services, Handoff, Continuity etc don't work,

Airportitlwm.kext works as a WiFi card with some limited functionality with regards Apple functions such as handoff and Location Services.

First thing you need to do is to check that your Intel WiFi card is compatible - https://openintelwireless.github.io/itlwm/Compat.html

Then decide which functions you need/want from your NUC's WiFi.
Thanks!!

Latest posts