[Success][Guide] ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Z370 Hackintosh Build

DanRamone

macOS
I was inspired by your build and order the combo ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero+i7 8700K, 32GB Ballistx Ram, and now i'm just realising i've orderer 500gb samsung evo 860...is it ok anyway??? ... arctic freezer 13 CO, 4TB Barracuda 7200, Corsair RM650x, Sapphire RX 560 4GB, NZXR H700i as case.
Is my first hackintosh. I will follow your build and hope everything will work! What would you suggest for the SSD? big difference between 860 and 960? Would be possible in future to buy the 960 and migrate macOS to it and use the 860 as windows drive?
Thanks!

Hackintosher

Administrator
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
I was inspired by your build and order the combo ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero+i7 8700K, 32GB Ballistx Ram, and now i'm just realising i've orderer 500gb samsung evo 860...is it ok anyway??? ... arctic freezer 13 CO, 4TB Barracuda 7200, Corsair RM650x, Sapphire RX 560 4GB, NZXR H700i as case.
Is my first hackintosh. I will follow your build and hope everything will work! What would you suggest for the SSD? big difference between 860 and 960? Would be possible in future to buy the 960 and migrate macOS to it and use the 860 as windows drive?
Thanks!
The drive is fine, yes you can migrate in the future using Carbon Copy Cloner

Mobo
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K
GPU
Aorus RX570 4G
I was finally able to complete the installation!
My problem was the display-port cable connected to the GPU, after I replaced it with a HDMI 2.0 cable everything completed without any errors.
I now have a fully capable hackintosh, including wifi and bluetooth after installing the DW1560 board.

Thank you!
I had a similar problem with my build with Displayport on the GPU (RX570). Black screen until OS log in screen on most attempts, and other weird displayport behaviour. I disabled CSM Support in BIOS menu in BIOS and it has fixed it in most cases although it still gives me the black screen frequently. HDMI worked fine although the resolution in Clover was VGA and annoying so I elected to use DVI-D instead. I suspect this will be fixed in a future BIOS release. I asked both the mobo/GPU and monitor manufacturers about it and they were both blaming each other lol

Hackintosher

Administrator
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
I had a similar problem with my build with Displayport on the GPU (RX570). Black screen until OS log in screen on most attempts, and other weird displayport behaviour. I disabled CSM Support in BIOS menu in BIOS and it has fixed it in most cases although it still gives me the black screen frequently. HDMI worked fine although the resolution in Clover was VGA and annoying so I elected to use DVI-D instead. I suspect this will be fixed in a future BIOS release. I asked both the mobo/GPU and monitor manufacturers about it and they were both blaming each other lol
I definitely think it's an issue on ASUS end. I had trouble disabling CSM and getting HDMI at 4k60 to work with an Nvidia graphics card and not display a black screen. I can do the same exact thing on Gigabyte Z370 motherboard and it works perfectly with HDMI.

macOS
Mobo
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Wifi
CPU
Intel i7 8700K
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB
I definitely think it's an issue on ASUS end. I had trouble disabling CSM and getting HDMI at 4k60 to work with an Nvidia graphics card and not display a black screen. I can do the same exact thing on Gigabyte Z370 motherboard and it works perfectly with HDMI.
You may be right, with HDMI I'm not able to get 4k60 only 4k30 with the 580 RX, although I can have 4k6hz on Windows - so it may be a combination of Asus + Mac OS.
I'm waiting for a new DP cable to arrive this week and run some more tests, I will let you guys know.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU
i7-8700k
GPU
AMD Radeon RX 560
After some more investigation, it happened to be the USB connector plugged to my Corsair h115i watercooler! Since there's no use for it on Mac OS X (their software only works on Windows) I unplugged it and voilà, now it sleeps properly :)
Does yours sleep throughout the night? Mine sleeps fine for a few hours but overnight, somewhere along the night it just shuts down. I can't seem to find the problem here :(

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700K
GPU
Does yours sleep throughout the night? Mine sleeps fine for a few hours but overnight, somewhere along the night it just shuts down. I can't seem to find the problem here :(
Yes, it does, never had any issues with sleep/wake after fixing the problem with the AIO cooler USB cable.

petkovea

macOS
Mobo
ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING
CPU
Intel i7-8700k
GPU
ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING
Hi, I assembled a pretty similar machine and followed your guide word for word but could never make it past the Apple logo during installation. I get the following error in verbose:

Aptiomemoryfix(r10): Starting \.IABootFiles\boot.efi

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any idea what to do in order to get the installer to load?

Thanks in advance!

gafka

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Vega 64 LC
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to thank you for creating this incredible web full of extremely useful info. I followed the guide and my system works fantastically.
I just have one doubt, simply out of curiosity.
I'm not really into kexts, kernel patches and so on, so since this is the first Hackintosh that I've built that is fully functional, I was wondering how the EFI folder would work with future updates. I mean, all those DSDT patches, drop tables and so on should be just fine on future macOS versions or it could end up being obsolete? If so, since this is your personal rig (if I'm not wrong), do you plan to update that config.plist?
What concerns me the most is how stable this is in terms of FCP performance and if all the changes made in this EFI to get HW acceleration could also work with updates.

Anyway, thanks again for your awesome work!

B3nj^m!n

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Geo Force GTX Titan
I have the exact setup. However, when I get to the Disk utility I am not able to see my SSD nor the NVMe SSD that I have installed.

Attachments

msbc

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X HERO
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Saphire Radeon RX580
Hi,

Thanks for the EFI. I built my 2nd HACK with it - clean 10.13.4 install. Only issue is my "About This Mac" shows Processor: 3.7GHz Unknown

Do you have this issue with your build?

Cheers,
Mark

Andrew

macOS
Mobo
MacBook Pro
CPU
i7
GPU
Onboard
You may be right, with HDMI I'm not able to get 4k60 only 4k30 with the 580 RX, although I can have 4k6hz on Windows - so it may be a combination of Asus + Mac OS.
I'm waiting for a new DP cable to arrive this week and run some more tests, I will let you guys know.

Hi did you manage to get 4k @60hz?

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700K
GPU
Hi did you manage to get 4k @60hz?
Yes, I could finally get 4k resultion @60hz by using a good display-port cable, the brand is Bislink. I got it from the local Brazilian distributor, but I'm sure you will be able to get it working with other better quality brands.

Andrew

macOS
Mobo
MacBook Pro
CPU
i7
GPU
Onboard
Yes, I could finally get 4k resultion @60hz by using a good display-port cable, the brand is Bislink. I got it from the local Brazilian distributor, but I'm sure you will be able to get it working with other better quality brands.
Thank you

Roen

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
UHD630
I have the exact setup. However, when I get to the Disk utility I am not able to see my SSD nor the NVMe SSD that I have installed.
Perhaps format it outside of MacOS?

djsly2k

macOS
Mobo
Asus Maximus X Hero Z370
CPU
Intel i7 8700K
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX970
Hi , great build just followed the guide and have everything working here also.
I do have one question and its in regards to the above benchmark. I have the same cpu but i just cant seem to get a bench similar to yours, how can I get a closer score?
Here is mine https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8234455

Andrew

macOS
Mobo
MacBook Pro
CPU
i7
GPU
Onboard
Has anyone with this exact build - Hero x i8700k and sys def 18,3 managed to get Facetime and Imessage to work?

cbrink

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370M-D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Gigabyte Radeon RX560 4GB
Hi, great build. What will you recommend for adding a second screen, connect it to the gpu or igpu. I ill prefer to connect it to the igpu but I only get a black screen with the screen searching for input. Thanks in advance.

GymBully

macOS
Mobo
HP Spectre x360 / HP 827F
CPU
i7 8550u
GPU
Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Nvidia MX 150 (4K
I followed this awesome guide 100% and was successful every single time I installed onto my system, however, I have a GTX 1080ti and I having serious problems with the driver on 10.13.1. I have upgraded to the latest High Sierra release as a result of the glitchy graphics output (like I'm in safe mode) and the GPU worked excellently! However, there was no sound output. I reinstalled 10.13.1 again to see if I could rectify both video and sound issues, but was unsuccessful. Has anyone else on here shared the same experiences and wouldn't mind assisting? Thank you and hope to get you guys' feedback.

P.S. despite my profile specs indicating I have a laptop, I also have the exact specs for PC a well, hence me following this guide and achieving hackintosh on my desktop. I am also trying to do the same on my laptop which I would seek assistance on another thread.

Last edited:

gengh08

macOS
Mobo
Asus ROG Maximus X HERO Wifi-AC
CPU
Intel Gen 8
GPU
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1060
Hello everyone!

I am a super newb to the hackintosh game- just built my first one using the same mobo. However, I didn't realize, the wifi card that comes on this board (ASUS Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi AC) is not compatible. Is there any other way of replacing the card other than prying open the top shielding? I already put everything together, so I'm just worried that there's no alternative to having to take it all apart for this one piece.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts