davelaw56

macOS
Mobo
Asus Maximus Hero X
CPU
i7 8700k
GPU
GEFORCE GTX1080 FOUNDERS EDITION SLI X2
great tutorial working great the only problem so far is when shutting down the computer it reboots and show up a fake kernel panic ( you hit a key and it boots just fine) but it won't shut down... I updated to 10.13.6 and updated all the kexts as mentioned in update post

UPDATE !!!! found a solution in the tutorial the following was not mentioned to enable or disable it now its fully working thanks again for your tutorial
  1. Advanced \ AMP Configuration → Power On By PCI-E/PCI (SET THIS TO ENABLE)

Last edited:

superczar

macOS
Mobo
Asus z370
CPU
i5 8400
GPU
Onboard
This worked (near ) perfectly well on a very similar setup:
1) i5 8400
2) Asus ROG-Strix Z370-g Gaming
3) 8X2 GB Crucial DDR2400 RAM
4) Samsung 970 Evo nvme

The BCM94322 module seems to be unavailable online in India which leaves me with the option of a) ordering from aliexpress or b) buying from local mac repair shops (although I suspect they will quote a hugely inflated price)
As of now, I have deferred the BT/wifi setup

Took just a couple of hours from start to finish - could have actually been even lesser but it took me 3 install passes

1) On the first install, the drive somehow got formatted to APFS - while I do recall editing the xml configuration to set APFS converstion to false but it still did (Maybe I forgot to save the xml)

2) Started afresh but got massive tearing/flickering issues post setup
The display is 4K and the DVMT allocation is set to 192MB in BIOS
The probable reason could be the fact that I used the Asus config plist in the pre-install EFI rather then post install

3) The third install with the unmodified High Sierra EFI zip (Step 2.7 in the original guide) proceeded without fuss

I have not made any post install changes (other than copying EFI to disk)
Nonetheless the system is behaving as expected
Sleep works
Sound over HDMI works
GPU acceleration works
HD transfer speeds are 2400MB/s Read/1400 Write

Things to do

1) Step 6 from the guide (Asus post install changes) which asks for the existing config.plist file to be replaced with the Asus one : I have not attempted it yet given the tearing issues I ran into earlier. There seem to be quite a few differences in the original and the latter
AM unsure if I should try this at all given everything is working fine with the original

2) Sourcing a BCM94322 module

Update: Ordered a Dell DW1560 module from aliexpress considering it seems to be the most recommended for m.2 wifi modules - now the long wait for the delivery from China begins!

Last edited:

dKaratzas

macOS
Mobo
Asus Rog Maximus X Hero (WI-FI-AC)
CPU
i7 8700K
Hello,

I have Asus Rog Maximus X Hero (WI-FI-AC), i7-8700K, Intel UHD 630 and monitor LG 27UD58 (4K). I followed this guide, everything is working perfect except i cant get 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution. I have installed Lilu, WhateverGreen and the graphic acceleration is working perfect. The only available is 1920x1080 HiDPI which makes everything so big. I also tried this method but doesn't change anything Display-Override-PropertyList-File-Parser-and-Generator-with-HiDPI-Support-For-Scaled-Resolutions.
Also i borrowed from a friend a GTX 1050 Ti with the hope that need a better graphic card to support higher resolutions but the same resolutions appears with GTX installed with the latest NVidia WebDrivers. What is going wrong.
I use RDM to switch between available resolutions.

Note: Also tried with Mojave but same the problem remains.

Andrew

macOS
Mobo
MacBook Pro
CPU
i7
GPU
Onboard
Sounds obvious but try a another hdmi cable... I struggled for days trying to get mine to push 4k 60fps to my Samsung 4k uhd tv only to discover it was the quality of cable that was the problem... Not all 4k hdmi cables are the same....

dKaratzas

macOS
Mobo
Asus Rog Maximus X Hero (WI-FI-AC)
CPU
i7 8700K
Sounds obvious but try a another hdmi cable... I struggled for days trying to get mine to push 4k 60fps to my Samsung 4k uhd tv only to discover it was the quality of cable that was the problem... Not all 4k hdmi cables are the same....
I have connected to DisplayPort. At 1080p HiDPI i get 60 Hz. The problem is that i can get higher HiDPI resolution

Jasonb

macOS
hey thanks for the write up, followed most of it. Im all the way through and have some pretty glitchy screen tearing and artifacts. Other than that it all looks pretty solid.

My setup is identical to yours, im using the iGPU - tried both DP & HDMI to my 4K dell screen which is being detected accurately in MacOS.

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting? Cheers!!

sshirley

macOS
Mobo
Asus Rog Maximus X Hero
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB
It's not clear, to me, for Step 2 where the destination for the downloaded EFI folder is. I assume for Step 5, it's on the hard drive. For Step 2, is that on the installer USB stick prior to installing the OS on the hard drive?

Last edited:

djeans

macOS
Mobo
Maximus XI Hero (Wifi)
CPU
I9-9900k
GPU
Radeon RX Vega 64 Red Devil
I recently followed your Guide (Thanks for creating it) on a similar build.

Maximus XI Hero (Wifi)
i9-9900k
32 gig Ram (G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series)
PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 Red Devil
Samsung 970 EVO 1T NVMe SSD
and did the wifi swap for Broadcom chip your recommended.

I was able to install and boot into MacOS 10.14, but I have no internet (no Wifi, no Etherenet), Only 6 cores seem to be recognized by the OS, and a few other weird glitches. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this?

Thanks

Darron

djeans

macOS
Mobo
Maximus XI Hero (Wifi)
CPU
I9-9900k
GPU
Radeon RX Vega 64 Red Devil
I recently followed your Guide (Thanks for creating it) on a similar build.

Maximus XI Hero (Wifi)
i9-9900k
32 gig Ram (G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series)
PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 64 Red Devil
Samsung 970 EVO 1T NVMe SSD
and did the wifi swap for Broadcom chip your recommended.

I was able to install and boot into MacOS 10.14, but I have no internet (no Wifi, no Etherenet), Only 6 cores seem to be recognized by the OS, and a few other weird glitches. Can anyone help me trouble shoot this?

Thanks

Darron
updating intelMausiEthernet to 2.4 got my ethernet working. Still no wifi or bluetooth.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Rog Maximus X Code
CPU
i7 8700k
GPU
AMD Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8GB
Now there's one last thing to fix: when I put my computer to sleep it awakes right after entering sleep mode. Any clues?
Hello Everybody,

@Hackintosher Thanks for details instructions for this build as mine is very similar:
Maximus X Code, i7 8700k, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, and AMD Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8Gb.

I pretty much have a fully working machine, but I seem to have an issue with waking up from sleep immediately as well as any disk plugged into the ASMEDIA USB 3.1 gen2 ports being ejected (which you explain in your initial Hero Board build this being an issue which BIOS update hasn't fixed). Anyone else still experiencing this/ found a fix?

The Eject issue can only be resolved by using an App like Jettison. And using that app doesn’t solve the sleep issue, computer still wakes. I’d rather figure out why the disks keep ejecting on sleep and if fixing this issue might resolve sleep issue or vice versa?

@raulfragoso Unfortunately, I'm not using a water cooler, so the AIO USB header is not option for my sleep issues.

For sleep, I've tried Multiple Darkwake configurations and manual code in terminal settings...

Using Terminal I’m getting these errors trying to figure this out using the following two commands:

Command: pmset -g
sleep 10 (sleep prevented by mds, mds_stores, sharingd)

Command: log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC

Here are my current settings:
Clover:
Boot -> Darkwake=1 (tried 0, 2, 4 and 8 as well)
Energy Saver Settings:
Nothing Checked EXCEPT Put Hard disk to sleep when possible

Would like Power Nap Enabled for the purpose of Time Machine, but doesn’t seem to be an option with Hackintosh?

I've also read that proximity wake can be the culprit and have disabled that but no luck.

Using Terminal I have disabled the following:
sudo pmset -a ttyskeepawake 0
sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Any insight would be great.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Hello, i have a problem with the OS booting, after installing the OS onto my SSD, I select the mac OS as the boot drive and the load bar doesnt go passed 2/3 of the way done. Any ideas?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
@scott_martin05,

You need to open a new help thread/post and provide a lot more information if you expect to get any help. Simply stating macOS won't boot is less than useful.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
I followed all the steps on the forum and when i try to boot up for the first time i get stuck on the apple logo with the bar 2/3 of the way full. Im not sure what is wrong.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (WIFI AC)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX1080ti FTW3
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
Windows Drives: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (Bootdrive), WD 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Mac Drive: WD 500GB SSD (Bootdrive)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Provide a copy of your Clover folder, so we can see what you have done to customise the folder for your system. Right-click on the folder and compress it so you can attach it to your next post.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Provide a copy of your Clover folder, so we can see what you have done to customise the folder for your system. Right-click on the folder and compress it so you can attach it to your next post.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Answered in your new Post.

msbc

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X HERO
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Saphire Radeon RX580
Hello Everybody,

@Hackintosher Thanks for details instructions for this build as mine is very similar:
Maximus X Code, i7 8700k, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, and AMD Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8Gb.

I pretty much have a fully working machine, but I seem to have an issue with waking up from sleep immediately as well as any disk plugged into the ASMEDIA USB 3.1 gen2 ports being ejected (which you explain in your initial Hero Board build this being an issue which BIOS update hasn't fixed). Anyone else still experiencing this/ found a fix?

The Eject issue can only be resolved by using an App like Jettison. And using that app doesn’t solve the sleep issue, computer still wakes. I’d rather figure out why the disks keep ejecting on sleep and if fixing this issue might resolve sleep issue or vice versa?

@raulfragoso Unfortunately, I'm not using a water cooler, so the AIO USB header is not option for my sleep issues.

For sleep, I've tried Multiple Darkwake configurations and manual code in terminal settings...

Using Terminal I’m getting these errors trying to figure this out using the following two commands:

Command: pmset -g
sleep 10 (sleep prevented by mds, mds_stores, sharingd)

Command: log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC

Here are my current settings:
Clover:
Boot -> Darkwake=1 (tried 0, 2, 4 and 8 as well)
Energy Saver Settings:
Nothing Checked EXCEPT Put Hard disk to sleep when possible

Would like Power Nap Enabled for the purpose of Time Machine, but doesn’t seem to be an option with Hackintosh?

I've also read that proximity wake can be the culprit and have disabled that but no luck.

Using Terminal I have disabled the following:
sudo pmset -a ttyskeepawake 0
sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Any insight would be great.

See this solution: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-sleep-shutdown.260947/post-1814160

Worked for me.

Lynx72

macOS
Mobo
Asus Rog Maximus X Code
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel U630
Hi guys...
I need your help!! :cry::cry:
These are nights I don't sleep... :cry::cry:
I'm going crazy!!
I can't understand where I'm wrong...
After creating the USB installer and properly configuring the BIOS (literally following your guide), restart the PC, the apple appears and the progress bar below, but at 1/3 the PC is reboot (I used your pre packaged EFI).
Even at the hardware level I did the following tests WITHOUT success:
- disconnect the USB cable from the Corsair Hi150 pump
- booting the installer with the 2 memory banks in position A1 and A2 (normally they are in A2 and B2)
- use the USB 2.0 ports for the USB installer
I do not know what to do...
Is it possible that my RAM is incompatible with HACKINTOSH?
This is my configuration:
- Mainboard: Asus Rog Maximus X Code
- CPU: Intel i7-8700K
- Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO
- RAM: 2 x Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB Ddr4 2666 8Gb (BLE8G4D26AFEA)
- HD: Samsung 960Evo M2 Nvme (with windows 10 and I don't want to involve it)
- HD: Samsung 850Evo SSD SATA (HERE I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL HACKINTOSH!!)
- HD: Seagate SATA 2TB + Intel Optane Series 32GB SSD on M.2 slot
- DVD-RW: iHAS 124 b
- NO other dedicated card like video, audio, wifi, etc. I ONLY USE THOSE ONBOARD !!
- Monitor: MSI Optix MAG27CQ
I hope you can help me!!!
Many thanks in advance...

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
You need to post an image of the verbose screen with the kernel panic for us to know what is wrong. To see the verbose text add -v to your boot arguments, or press the space bar when you are on the Clover boot screen and select Verbose (-v) from the list of options displayed.

It would also be helpful if you posted a copy of your /EFI/CLOVER folder so we can see what you are using to boot your Hack.

Latest posts