[Success][Guide] Catalina Vanilla "Hackintosh Deluxe" Z370n WiFi / i5-8400 / RX-570 (FINAL)

inarush

Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
Intel i5-8400
GPU
MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8 GB
I temporarily installed Rehabman's HWMonitor (and associated kexts) just to see what you're referring to (I normally don't use this app).

Here's a screenshot:

I noticed that the temperatures for the "Thermal Zones" do not change at all. I ran some heavy load programs just to test, and all of the other numbers change accordingly... but the three "Thermal Zone" temperatures seem to just be static at 28C/17C/30C, so I don't know where HWMonitor is pulling these numbers from.
Thanks for checking it.

I will try to install Windows soon to see whether those are meaningful sensors that HWMonitor fails to capture or whether they are just some "noise" captured by HWMonitor.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Thermal zone temps on my iMac 1 system, first Hack in my signature, are static as well.

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 23.31.02.png

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
The Thermal zone temps on my iMac 1 system, first Hack in my signature, are static as well.
Seems like we have a pattern.

Hello Raine,

I was planning on going with the same build as yours but looks like GB Z370N Wifi mb has some stock issues.

Do you think if I get the ASrock 370m Pro4 lga we can do a vanilla instal and get everything working using clover?
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-Motherboards-Z370M-ITX-AC/dp/B07638L88W/

they do have a build on tony with that mb but i want to go vanilla way for easier updates.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tx-ac-i5-8400-uhd-630-graphics-mojave.270629/
What Z370n WiFi "stock issues" are you referring to? Every motherboard will have things to sort out, I went witht he Z370n WiFi because practically everything does work without digging deep to resolve some smaller things.

I actually researched a little on an ASRock 370 m-ITX board for a second build I'm thinking of doing, and it was a mixture of feedback... to the point that I might go with a Gigabyte H370n WiFi instead for a few $ more.

What Z370n WiFi "stock issues" are you referring to? Every motherboard will have things to sort out, I went witht he Z370n WiFi because practically everything does work without digging deep to resolve some smaller things.

I actually researched a little on an ASRock 370 m-ITX board for a second build I'm thinking of doing, and it was a mixture of feedback... to the point that I might go with a Gigabyte H370n WiFi instead for a few $ more.
By stock issues I mean availability issues. it is not in stock on amazon or newegg.
however, if if you think that z370n is better than asrock z370m i can try to find it on ebay ..

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
By stock issues I mean availability issues. it is not in stock on amazon or newegg.
however, if if you think that z370n is better than asrock z370m i can try to find it on ebay ..
Ah right. Yeah - you know that's funny because I did notice that the z370n WiFi suddenly was hard to find, seems like all the retailers are pushing the new z390 boards.

Just to be clear - I do not have first-hand experience with the ASRock Z370M-ITX, but it is one of the recommended Coffee-Lake boards on this website so maybe it will work just fine; when I started this build my motherboard choice was influenced after reading Hackintosher’s 4k HTPC Build which was also using the Z370n WiFi.

Ah right. Yeah - you know that's funny because I did notice that the z370n WiFi suddenly was hard to find, seems like all the retailers are pushing the new z390 boards.

Just to be clear - I do not have first-hand experience with the ASRock Z370M-ITX, but it is one of the recommended Coffee-Lake boards on this website so maybe it will work just fine; when I started this build my motherboard choice was influenced after reading Hackintosher’s 4k HTPC Build which was also using the Z370n WiFi.
I am new to this, so I was looking for a tried and tested build, and your combination seemed perfect. However, since the mb seems to be hard to find if you do find a similar build with a different mb please let me know.

i think i might have to do some research on z390 as price seems to be same,

Thanks.

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
Boot Arguments:
I noticed in boot arguments you have: shikigva=1
I have a better answer for you now: going back in my notes, at some point I added that boot argument during an attempt to get iTunes DRM working. I just removed it from my config.plist.

inarush

Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
Intel i5-8400
GPU
MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8 GB
@Raine and @Edhawk, here are all possible temperature readings the Z370N-WiFi can offer.
Capture.PNG
It is a pity that FakeSMC/HWMonitor can't capture all the sensors right. Why am I so concerned about this? Because I have a SFF case with fans that I want to control based on the motherboard temperatures. However, the failure in the readings compromise that control. I end up having to control them based on the CPU temperature. Not ideal, but works anyway.

I thought it could be an issue with the F5 bios, but apparently it's something else.

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
@Raine and @Edhawk, here are all possible temperature readings the Z370N-WiFi can offer.
It is a pity that FakeSMC/HWMonitor can't capture all the sensors right. Why am I so concerned about this? Because I have a SFF case with fans that I want to control based on the motherboard temperatures. However, the failure in the readings compromise that control. I end up having to control them based on the CPU temperature. Not ideal, but works anyway.
Well considering we're already running an OS on hardware not officially supported, there are some things that just do not work. I don't see anything wrong with using CPU temp, a lot of regular PCs with temp-based fans do just that fine.

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
Added: Dedicated USB 2.0 Port for Logitech Unifying Receiver

I've been using this build as my daily home machine for about 4 months now, and for the most part everything has been going smooth. A week ago I did notice that my Logitech K750 keyboard and M510 mouse would, on occasion miss some characters, or stop responding for a fraction of a second, and/or hesitate through movement. I first noticed this behavior right before I did the 10.14.1 update; after updating to 10.14.1 it was actually more noticeable until I made the updated 10.4.1+ USB port limit patch modification. Then 10.14.2, currently 10.14.3, and yet every random while the random keyboard/mouse hesitations would happen again which lead me to look into this specific issue.

At first I thought it was something to do with the Hackintosh build itself, but when I tried using a wired keyboard and mouse I couldn't replicate the problem, and my wired keyboard and mouse were working just fine. After some Internet investigation, it turned out that what I was experiencing was not a new thing, and more importantly it was NOT Hackintosh-specific - it's actually a known issue where the Logitech Unifying Receiver would get interference when being used in or near USB 3.0 ports. On Logitech's own support website they state the following:

"When using a Logitech USB 2.0 2.4GHz wireless peripheral device [like the Unifying receiver] with a PC that also has a USB 3.0 peripheral device plugged in, you may experience erratic operation caused by interference. This is especially likely to happen when using USB 3.0 remote hard drives or flash drives. This interference may result in delayed response to mouse or keyboard inputs missing keyboard characters or mouse commands."

The solutions were A. Use a USB 2.0 port, B. Position the unifying receiver as close to the mouse and keyboard as possible, or C. Use a USB extension cable to position the unifying receiver as far away as possible from the same USB 3.0 port that it's plugged into.

I decided to go with option A: use a USB 2.0 port. Yes - the Z370n WiFi motherboard I'm using has only USB 3.0 ports on the back, and my front case USB ports are also USB 3.0. However, the Z370n also has a USB 2.0 header on-board, so I picked up a $3 USB 2.0 expansion bracket from the local computer store and installed it into my Hackintosh:

$3 USB 2.0 expansion bracket with header plug

The USB 2.0 header is just behind the USB 3.0 header.

Up front behind the air intake mesh filter.

Instead of mounting the USB 2.0 port in the back of the case in the default PCI slot area, I used some double-sided tape to stick the port just behind the front face of the case, where the mesh is for the 120mm intake fan. This put the Logitech receiver forward (closest to where my keyboard and mouse usually are) while keeping it stealth by staying inside the Hackintosh case. After restarting, it solved the issue as I have not encountered any hesitation or missed keyboard inputs for the last 10 days.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Novel way to deal with the issue. At least it keeps the exterior of the case with a cleaner finish.

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
Added: Logitech C310 Webcam, Plug-and-Play Compatible w/Facetime
I needed to add complete FaceTime support to my Hackintosh, and to make a long story short all it took was plugging in a USB camera.

After doing some webcam browsing I decided on the inexpensive Logitech C310 HD Camera which I picked up at a local electronics store for only $25 The camera runs at 720p with 30fps and a 60-degree field-of-view, and features a simple clip-on base that can also be configured to sit on a flat surface. The C310 also has automatic lighting correction and a built-in noise-reducing microphone, and the whole thing (minus cable) is pretty small - less than 3" wide and less than 1.25" tall:

Smaller than you think

After unboxing I simply plugged the camera's cable into one of the rear USB 3.0 ports, restarted my Hackintosh, and that was it. did not need to download or install any software to get the camera working; as is the FaceTime App was functional and the C310's built-in microphone was picking up audio without having to adjust any audio settings in MacOS preferences. I made a few FaceTime calls to confirm that audio and video were working correctly, and all was good.

Later I installed Logitech's Camera Options app from the Logitech website, which gave me the ability to adjust the camera's brightness, contrast, color intensity, and white balance (there are no image adjustments available in Mojave for cameras). Again I want to state that the Logitech Camera Options app was optional; I did not need to install it for the camera to work with my Hackintosh.

Full FaceTime compatibility

There's not much more to say here, it was a very simple upgrade. So if you're looking for an inexpensive way to add FaceTime to your Hackintosh, I can confirm that the Logitech C310 HD Webcam works right out of the box!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I've been using a Logitech Webcam for years, very simple setup and works out of the box with all the versions of OS X and macOS I have used with my main hack (Mavericks to Mojave).

I also provided my son and daughter with the same webcam for their Hacks, when they were on a Black Friday deal (only cost £29 instead of the normal £57 - Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 (1080p, Native Microphone). It is more expensive than the C310, but gives very clear good sized video images.

keyboard

macOS
10.13.6, 10.14.0
Mobo
z370n
CPU
i7 8700
GPU
Radeon RX 580
Hi please what is yout bios version for z370n ?
Can't do anything, for my instal also my GPU is RX480 amd, and can't find the right step by step for that can you help me, please.
CPU i7 8700
Motherboard z370n
GPu RX 480
ram 16go

Thanks.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You need to clarify which Z370n board you are using. Which bios, how you created your macOS install media, and what EFI you are using.

Any generic EFI folder will need amending to suit the particulars for your system. Do not assume that a generic EFI will just work without any input from the user.

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
Hi please what is yout bios version for z370n ?
Can't do anything, for my instal also my GPU is RX480 amd, and can't find the right step by step for that can you help me, please.
CPU i7 8700
Motherboard z370n
GPu RX 480
ram 16go

Thanks.
I'm using firmware version F5 for my build, I haven't tried anything past F5 except the most recent F11 and F11 wasn't compatible.

inarush

Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
Intel i5-8400
GPU
MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8 GB
I'm using firmware version F5 for my build, I haven't tried anything past F5 except the most recent F11 and F11 wasn't compatible.
I can certify that F10 works as well. F11c definitely doesn't work (haven't tried myself but heard so many reports, including yours).

It was speculated in other discussion board that reinstalling the system after flashing F11c might make it work, but I haven't tested that.

*EDIT*: I'm talking about the Z370N WIFI.

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
USB Port Mapping For Full Speed USB 3.0
Recently I had to transfer some files between computers and I noticed that, although all of my USB 3.0 ports were functional, they all capped out at around 25-30MB/s. This was confirmed with a few different SanDisk EXtreme USB 3.0 external flash drives and an external Western Digital USB 3.0 SSD hard drive. The same external drives would consistently transfer upwards of 100MB/s on my Macbook Pro - so I knew there was something going on with the Hackintosh's USB 3.0 ports. It was because of this that I decided to start looking into the whole "Custom SSDT/USBMap.kext" thing.

After seeing many different forum posts and methods for generating a custom SSDT/USBMap.kext files, I realized why it seems so confusing - practically none of these threads were written clear enough to work for me. Before I go on, here's the most simple way I can explain what this whole SSDT/USBMap.kext thing is for (as far as I understand it LOL):

When building a current Hackintosh, part of the MacOS installation involves using the "USBInjectAll.kext" and a USB Port Limit Patch together to get the actual physical USB ports working. Apparently this is because since the last OSX (El Capitan 10.11.x), Apple implemented a 15 USB port limit in the operating system itself. The USBInjectAll.kext and Port Limit Patch allows MacOS to "see" every physical USB port in the hardware side, but on the software side (the actual OS) you're still limited to no more than 15 USB ports that will actually work.

"No problem - the z370N WiFi only has a total of 9 USB ports, so we're good!" ...but not really. Using my build as an example, I have 6 USB 3.0's in the rear I/O, 2 USB 3.0's on the front case plugged into the internal 3.0 internal header, 1 USB port plugged into the internal 2.0 header, and 1 USB-C port. That's a total of 10 physical USB ports... but MacOS "sees" many more. Each USB 3.0 physical port actually counts as TWO USB ports in MacOS (more on this later).

Why This Becomes A Long Term Problem
When you first boot up a new Hackintosh build, chances are at that time you'll only have a mouse, keyboard, and USB flash drive installer plugged into the system - so the USB's might seem all good to go, but in reality it's not. To see for yourself why this is an issue, try plugging in a different USB device into every physical USB port you have:

Issue 1: Some devices will work, some won't, some might work at first then stop working when you plug something else into a different USB port. Worse, if you restart your Hackintosh, the USB ports that worked before the restart might not work after the restart.

Issue 2: MacOS updates might/will eventually break the USB Port Limit Patch. As seen when going from Mojave 10.14.1 to 10.14.2, the USB Port Limit Patch had to be figured out and then subsequently changed/updated in order to get USB ports working again. 10.14.3 didn't need an update, but it might break again in a future update.

Issue 3: Some USB 3.0 physical ports might be operating at USB 3.0 speed or only at USB 2.0 speed. And after a restart that might change randomly (see Problem #1 above).

This is why although having USBInjectAll.kext and the USB Port Limit Patch during install helps get things rolling, but relying on them for long-term use and optimized functionality/speed is very inconsistent and not a real solution to the problem.

What's The Real Solution Then?
The actual solution is to specifically tell MacOS to only use specific USB ports of your choosing (within the 15 port limit) for reliable and consistent USB functionality along with the correct USB speeds based on the type of USB port. This is where having a custom SSDT file or a USBMap.kext file comes into the picture. As I understand it, both methods essentially do the same thing (tell MacOS what port to always use and at the correct speed) but via different means. At first I looked into creating a custom SSDT file, but to be honest I found it a little complicated. Later during research I came across corpnewt's USBMap script which helps you create your own USBMap/kext file.

The Procedure
The first requirement was to have "USBInjectAll.kext" in the "EFI —> CLOVER —> kexts —> Other folder" - which I already had. Next, I needed to add some entries in my config.plist file:

Acpi —> Patches —> add “change EHC1 to EH01”
Acpi —> Patches —> add “change EHC2 to EH02”
Acpi —> Patches —> add “change XHCI to XHC”
Acpi —> Patches —> add “change XHC1 to XHC”

2. After a reboot, I ran the USBMap script using Terminal, and take a look at all of the ports it detected:

Pay attention to the "HS" and "SS" ports. The "HS" ports are USB 2.0, and the matching "SS" ports are USB 3.0. Remember how I said that Each USB 3.0 physical port actually counts as TWO USB ports in MacOS? this is where that becomes important - since a physical USB 3.0 port can accept both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, that single physical USB port counts as TWO USB ports in MacOS.

So back to the image above: if you count every "HS", "SS", and "USR" port shown, the total comes out to TWENTY-FOUR! Way higher than the maximum 15 allowed in MacOS. No problem - realistically I only really need the USB-C port and a total of 5 physical USB Type-A ports to work:

1x Rear USB-C port for my External HDD
2x Rear USB 2.0 ports for my Webcam and DJ Controller
2x Front Case USB 2.0/3.0 ports for quick access

1x Internal USB 2.0 port for my Logitech keyboard/mouse receiver

3. Using the USBMap script, I configured every USB port detected, keeping the ports I needed and disabling the ports I don't use:

Note that there are a total of 9 ports enabled:

- The rear USB-C port is at USB 3.0 full speed already
- The rear center USB ports are limited to USB 2.0 (both devices being used are 2.0)
- The two front panel USB ports are both USB 2.0 and 3.0
- The internal USB 2.0 port is (obviously) only set to 2.0 speed
- I kept "HS10" enabled, but I suspect that I might not need it (?)

Aside from configuring each kept port to the right speed needed, I also disabled the bank of 4 USB ports on the rear I/O of the Z370n since I don't need them, and I have the two front case ports if I do need to plug some other device into the system.

4. With all of my USB ports configured, I then had USBMap generate my custom "USBMap.kext" file.

5. I moved my custom "USBMap.kext" file into my "EFI —> CLOVER —> kexts —> Other" folder; this is the new file that my system will use to only enable the USB ports I specified (and their speeds) and ignore all of the other USB ports that were previously detected in the USBMap script.

6. Finally, I deleted "USBInjectAll.kext" from the "Other" folder AND deleted the USB port Limit Patch from my config.plist file, which is found in the "Kernel and Kext Patches -> KextstoPatch" tab.

One more reboot to finalize everything and success!

Conclusion and Final Thoughts
So at the end of all this, I now have all USB 3.0 ports showing 60-100MB/s transfer rate (tested by using a few different USB 3.0 flash drives and external hard drives). I also noticed that my Logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard seem to be "snappier", with no response lag or random hesitations - whether this is a result of the USBMap.kext is up to debate, but it's something I noticed anyways.

Considering I went with the .kext method, the build is still a "Vanilla" build. Before doing this I experimented with installing mexts into L/E/ but that wasn't fixing the USB 3.0 speed issue. However with the USBMap.kext residing in my EFI folder, MacOS itself is still untouched, and any future MacOS 10.14.x updates won't affect my USB port mapping. Also, since I have the USBMap.kext file I don't have to deal with future port limit patching. Whether this holds up when we eventually get to MacOS 10.15 is yet to be seen, but for now I'm covered, even if somehow I have to do a clean reinstall of MacOS.

Quick thanks to @Edhawk for some advice/guidance when I first started looking into doing this.

Next up, I'm planning on dual-booting my Hackintosh with macOS and Windows 10.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Nice write up Raine.

It will help a lot of people who are reluctant to take that necessary step to getting their USB ports correctly identified.