[Success][Guide] Catalina Vanilla "Hackintosh Deluxe" Z370n WiFi / i5-8400 / RX-570 (FINAL)

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
This looks really great - excellent guide!!
I'm going to give this a roll today with my HTPC which has the same MoBo with an 8700(nonK).

Question here for the knowledgeable.

I do have a GTX 1070 in there for my Windows usage right now.

Could I run the Hack/Mojave side following this guide and use the iGPU outputs for the macOS install but leave that GTX 1070 installed and use that when booting to the Windows side?

Can one do that?

So frustrating that we still don't have NV drivers on Mojave, otherwise I'd obviously just use the 1070 for both...

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
One other question - Does one not need to do the "install clover to the Boot drive"?

You covered making the USB Mojave Installer and getting its EFI correct, but what about on the built in drive where you install Mojave to?

Doesn't that need the same treatment so one doesn't need to have the USB installer stick plugged in at all times for rebooting?

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
One other question - Does one not need to do the "install clover to the Boot drive"?

You covered making the USB Mojave Installer and getting its EFI correct, but what about on the built in drive where you install Mojave to?

Doesn't that need the same treatment so one doesn't need to have the USB installer stick plugged in at all times for rebooting?
Sounds like you already know the answer to this, judging from your last comment Haha

...but yes - you're right, after seeing you comment I realized I didn't have that info in my guide so I just added it to the "VII. Post-Installation Modifications" section. Thanks for catching that.

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
So I'm not using the legit WiFi/BT card yet, just native ethernet...
Can't get iMessage to authenticate - Guessing I've got to screw around with serial/UUID/ other stuff? Surprised as I was hoping that was a bit more native on this build

Any thoughts to point me in the right direction?
Really appreciate it..
iMessage is huge for me..

Also getting some weird artifacts on new safari tabs - wondering if my iGPU settings aren't right also perhaps. On F10 BIOS and it didn't seem to let me set the iGPU memory settings from the top of your guide - related possibly?

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
Ok - update - got iMessage working with resetting a few things in CloverConfig (generating new)..

I still can't get my iGPU to realize anymore than 7MB though..
Super odd

Anyone have this issue ever?
Helpful if post anything here?

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
So I'm not using the legit WiFi/BT card yet, just native ethernet...
Can't get iMessage to authenticate - Guessing I've got to screw around with serial/UUID/ other stuff? Surprised as I was hoping that was a bit more native on this build

Also getting some weird artifacts on new safari tabs - wondering if my iGPU settings aren't right also perhaps. On F10 BIOS and it didn't seem to let me set the iGPU memory settings from the top of your guide - related possibly?[

Ok - update - got iMessage working with resetting a few things in CloverConfig (generating new)..
I still can't get my iGPU to realize anymore than 7MB though..
Super odd

Anyone have this issue ever?
Helpful if post anything here?
IMO iMessage and Handoff both need to be working to have the complete functionality. Make sure you test (using mobile devices along with your Hackintosh) that iMessage is syncing up and receiving/sending message across all your devices, some people seemed to have iMessage "working" but turns out it wasn't receiving or syncing across devices. It takes a combination of SMUUID, Serial Number, and Board Serial Number to get everything working 100% with iMessage.

I've actually been running BIOS version F10 for the last few days, and the BIOS settings for integrated GPU are still there:

Peripherals -> Initial Display Output = IGFX
Chipset -> Integrated Graphics = Enabled
Chipset -> DVMT Pre-Allocated = 128M

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
@Raine

Thx - Yeah, the iGPU settings came "back" after a couple reboots - super weird.
Not sure what happened, but now I can't boot using even my USB installer or the built in drive.

Going to have to a fresh look at what I might be doing wrong - Super frustrating as all was going great yesterday....such is Hack life.

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
Ok - got booting back..
Figured out my issue, which was simply the "presence" of my Windows 10 SSD. Very odd. Never had this issue before of my Hack failing to book with Clover (that UEFI OS is the only thing enabled for booting in BIOS) and seemingly being hung up by NTFS stuff when booting macOS w/ Verbose mode.

Any ideas on that? Perhaps some way to disable even looking at those types of drives when booting?

Bit tough to even troubleshoot since I couldn't get macOS to boot in any mode (safe mode or anything) with the Win10 SSD connected.

@Raine Didn't you say you were looking into dual booting? You doing that now?

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
Ok - got booting back..
Figured out my issue, which was simply the "presence" of my Windows 10 SSD. Very odd. Never had this issue before of my Hack failing to book with Clover (that UEFI OS is the only thing enabled for booting in BIOS) and seemingly being hung up by NTFS stuff when booting macOS w/ Verbose mode.

Any ideas on that? Perhaps some way to disable even looking at those types of drives when booting?

Bit tough to even troubleshoot since I couldn't get macOS to boot in any mode (safe mode or anything) with the Win10 SSD connected.

@Raine Didn't you say you were looking into dual booting? You doing that now?
Re: Dual Booting
I'm actually dual booted already, I wait a few days to make any mods and verify stability before I "officially" update this thread =)

Re: "presence of Windows 10 SSD"
Did you install Windows 10 using the Windows UEFI Installer? If you used the default "legacy" installer, this might be causing your problem. If you used the UEFI version of Windows Installer, you would have two "UEFI OS" entries in BIOS; The Mac entry (with Clover in the EFI) would have to be in the first boot slot. Then when booting up Clover would detect the Windows UEFI SSD and add it to the boot selection in Clover.

Not sure if this makes a difference but this is basically how I did my dual-boot setup (pay attention to the order):
1. MacOS SSD up and running (SSD for Windows already installed)
2. Make Windows UEFI Install USB Flash Drive (In Windows environment)
3. Shut down and remove MacOS SSD
4. Boot from Windows UEFI USB Installer
6. Completely delete Windows SSD using Windows UEFI Installer
7. Install Windows 10 as usual
8. Once Windows 10 is at Windows desktop, shut down
9. Reinstall MacOS SSD to motherboard
10. Set BIOS primary boot drive MacOS SSD first

When Clover Bootloader starts, both MacOS SSD and Windows SSD are available to select.

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
@Raine Thank you!!
Your tips helped..

The key absolutely was to physically disconnect my macOS install, then install Windows with only its drive in there so it wouldn't mess with the EFI partition on my macOS drive.

Working like a champ now..
Except..

Yesterday I got iMessage working perfectly with the "idiots guide to iMessage" at Tonymac..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

It was all working - messages/sms with phone - all of it..

Then I was doing some dual booting last night to play a game and set things up on that side...and when I was back on macOS this AM, messages wasn't working..

So - started from scratch and now have Messages working again - but - I'm afraid to even go into Windows for fear of messing that up again (don't want my iCloud ID to get banned or something).

Any chance something about the dual booting thing is messing with some variable somehow that imessage counts on?

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
@Raine Thank you!!
Your tips helped..

The key absolutely was to physically disconnect my macOS install, then install Windows with only its drive in there so it wouldn't mess with the EFI partition on my macOS drive.

Working like a champ now..
Except..

Yesterday I got iMessage working perfectly with the "idiots guide to iMessage" at Tonymac..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

It was all working - messages/sms with phone - all of it..

Then I was doing some dual booting last night to play a game and set things up on that side...and when I was back on macOS this AM, messages wasn't working..

So - started from scratch and now have Messages working again - but - I'm afraid to even go into Windows for fear of messing that up again (don't want my iCloud ID to get banned or something).

Any chance something about the dual booting thing is messing with some variable somehow that imessage counts on?
Can't see why it would, if you boot from MacOS then the Windows drive is just seen as another basic additional drive, just like if you had an external data drive hooked up.

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
Can't see why it would, if you boot from MacOS then the Windows drive is just seen as another basic additional drive, just like if you had an external data drive hooked up.
Thx - yeah I can't figure it out either...
I guess at some point I'll try again here and "see"
(nervous... lol)

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
Any worries about doing Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6 that the App Store is showing?

Those are usually far less invasive than full point release updates, yeah?

(by point release I mean 10.13.5 to 10.13.6 as an example)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Would be a good point to make sure you have a backup/Clone of your drive, before you change anything. So it is easy to get back to this point if something does go wrong.

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
Would be a good point to make sure you have a backup/Clone of your drive, before you change anything. So it is easy to get back to this point if something does go wrong.
Before Security Update or are you talking about iMessage issues?

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
That's a High Sierra update, not Mojave.
Sorry you’re absolutely right and I will stop posting in here.

I started out following this build with Mojave but recognizing that I really wanted to be able to use my GTX 1070 on the both sides I decided to go ahead and do a high sierra Hackintosh for now.

Sorry- just an honest mistake where I started following this very closely because I have the same hardware but I am now running High Sierra and plan to stay there due to the GPU situation

Thanks for all the help!

Raine

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Radeon RX-570
Yeah... this is why if I upgrade to a dedicated GPU I'm going with an AMD board, not nVidia.

macOS
Mobo
z370n-wifi
CPU
GPU
1080ti
Yeah... this is why if I upgrade to a dedicated GPU I'm going with an AMD board, not nVidia.
Totally understand - I just already have a 1070 and don't feel like selling/buying something else at the moment.

hussaino3

Mobo
Gigabyte Z390-I AORUS PRO WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
NA
Hello Raine,
Thank you so much for the guide. I am building a similar setup with Gigabyte Z390-I AORUS PRO WiFi MB. After installing from flash it reboots then I pick the internal drive. Then the installation is stuck on 15 minutes remaining. Do you have any ideas on how to work that out?

Thanks again :)