Mobo
GA-Z270X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 560

2018-02-08 12.31.15.jpg

Overview
This was my first Hackintosh build, and it was done primarily using the build guide here, and a bit from the TM site (getting iMessages to work). It worked essentially the first time, save for discovering I had an incomplete boot USB that froze on the installation process. Once I figured that out, it was smooth sailing.

Word to the wise if I may; DO NOT use software, drivers, etc. that you may have downloaded previously unless you are absolutely sure they are in working order. The "Install High Sierra" copy I had was actually bad (see above) and once I downloaded a fresh copy from Apple, all was good. I actually discovered this on a couple of other utilities and such when I tried launch them and, again, a fresh download solved the issue.

Goal
I have included ALL the bits I purchased so as to represent a total cost to create. I did have two HP 23" displays, but I've found a current spec that equates to those for costing purposes.

I have gone a bit of the rails in that I wanted to try an NVMe drive, and also a bit different WiFi & Bluetooth combination simply because they we readily available and it was fun. J

I also wanted quiet. No fan or any other type of noise. This thing is dead silent, except for the occasional “I’d swear that’s a spinning disk drive sound” that is actually the CPU resonating through the cooler fins. No big deal, it happens at boot time under heavy load.

What Works
  • Sound
  • Ethernet
  • USB-C Port
  • USB3 Speeds
  • HD630
  • AMD HDMI Audio
  • AMD Graphics Card
  • AMD Sleep/Wake
  • App Store, iBooks, iMessage
  • Bluetooth

What Doesn’t
  • Nothing i've found

Parts
Here are the parts I used for this Hackintosh. - *NOTE: I used two (2) displays. One HDMI, one DisplayPort, and I actually built it from boot time using these. No need to use the internal GPU.

Price at time of build: $1688 w/displays x 2

O/S:
Mac OS Higher Sierra 10.13.3

MOBO:
Amazon: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming
Newegg: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming

CPU:
Amazon: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)
Newegg: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)

Cooler:
Amazon: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler with PWM Fan, Four Direct Contact Heat Pipes
Newegg: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler with PWM Fan, Four Direct Contact Heat Pipes

RAM:
Amazon: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4 21300) C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
Newegg: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4 21300) C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)

Boot SSD:
Amazon: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)
Newegg: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)

Storage SSD:
Amazon: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Newegg: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)

GPU:
Amazon: MSI GAMING Radeon RX 560 2GB GDDR5 128-Bit DirectX 12 ITX Graphics Card (RX 560 AERO ITX 2G OC)

PSU:
Amazon: Corsair VS Series, VS500, 500 Watt (500W), Active PFC, 80 PLUS White Certified Power Supply
Newegg: Corsair VS Series, VS500, 500 Watt (500W), Active PFC, 80 PLUS White Certified Power Supply

Case:
Amazon: Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Quiet Mid Tower Case
Newegg: Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Quiet Mid Tower Case

WiFi:
Amazon: TP-Link Archer AC1900 WiFi Card PCIe Adapter with Beamforming and Heatsink Technology (T9E)
Newegg: TP-Link Archer AC1900 WiFi Card PCIe Adapter with Beamforming and Heatsink Technology (T9E)

Keyboard:
Amazon: Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac
Newegg: Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac

Bluetooth:
Amazon: Kensington Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter
Newegg: Kensington Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter

Speakers:
Amazon: Logitech Z200 with Stereo Sound for Multiple Devices
Newegg: Logitech Z200 with Stereo Sound for Multiple Devices

Displays (Used two!)
Amazon: HP 23er 23-in IPS LED Backlit Monitor
Newegg: HP 23er 23-in IPS LED Backlit Monitor

Build
This was built on 1/14/18, and it has been relatively problem free. I did attempt to enable FileVault a couple of days ago, this trashed the system. I will look into this going forward.

Here are the steps I followed to create this build; some of them are links to existing docs on this site, and where I didn’t have available information, I’ve simply outlined what I did. Hopefully, this will be an end-to-end how-to!

Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming Hackintosh Guide

Step 1 – Creating the macOS Installer
How to make a USB flash drive installer for macOS - Hackintosher

Step 2 – Configure EFI Boot Partition
  1. Download Clover Configurator
  2. Open Clover Configurator
  3. Select Mount EFI under TOOLS
  4. Click Mount Partition for Install macOS….
  5. Click Open Partition (This is your EFI Folder)
  6. Delete the existing EFI folder if it’s in the partition
  7. Download Hackintosher’s High Sierra EFI.zip
  8. Unzip High Sierra EFI.zip
  9. Copy & Paste the unzipped EFI folder to mounted partition or /Volumes/EFI
Step 3 - Recommended BIOS Settings
Before running the macOS installer change these settings.
Restart your computer and press the DEL key to enter BIOS upon your computer posting.

BIOS settings for the install:
  • Save & ExitLoad Optimized Defaults
  • M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.): Profile1
  • BIOS → Fast Boot: Disabled
  • BIOS → Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
  • BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
  • BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control: UEFI
  • Peripherals → Super IO Configuration → Serial Port: Disabled
  • Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack: Disabled
  • Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Chipset → Vt-d: Disabled
  • Chipset → IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled

Based on the GPU you’re using change the following settings:

Dedicated graphics card:
  • Peripherals → Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot
  • Chipset → Integrated Graphics: Disabled

Intel iGPU:

• Peripherals → Initial Display Output: IGFX
  • Chipset → Integrated Graphics: Enabled
  • Chipset → DVMT Pre-Allocated: 96M (if this setting isn’t showing then: 1. Set Integrated Graphics: Enabled. 2. Save and Exit BIOS by pressing F10. 3. Reenter BIOS upon computer restart and it should be there.
  • For DVMT Pre-Allocated to show in BIOS you may need to save & reenter BIOS after setting iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled
  • Advanced \ System Agent (SA) Configuration\Graphics Configuration → DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128MB/192MB

Setting Boot Device:

You’ll want to be using the USB Flash Drive as the primary boot device until your hard drive becomes bootable at the end of Step 6. There are two ways to go about doing this:

Option 1: Press F10 on startup each time to select a temporary boot device until the boot partition on the drive you install macOS is configured. If you want to do temporary booting you will select the version of your USB Drive starting with UEFI: in its name. (For example I used a SanDisk flash drive so I would select UEFI: SanDisk, Partition 1)

Option 2: Enter BIOS and set Boot → Boot Option #1: UEFI : XXX (For example I used a SanDisk flash drive so I would select UEFI: SanDisk, Partition 1) This is easier if you don’t want to hammer F10 on startup every time to boot macOS.

Step 4 – Installing macOS

Hackintosh High Sierra High Sierra 10.13.3 Update Guide
Don’t worry about the “Update” part of the title, the current MacOS release on the App Store will be a full release and the guide has the links for any other changes.

If you’re nervous, there is always GUIDE TO FRESH INSTALLING MACOS HIGH SIERRA ON A HACKINTOSH (10.13 UPDATE). This outlines ALL the steps.

Step 5 – Post Install

Sleep:
  1. Open the Settings App
  2. Click Energy Saver
  3. Uncheck
  4. Uncheck Wake for Ethernet Network access
  5. Uncheck Enable Power Nap

That’s it, you should be good to go!

Attachments

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Z270x Ultra Gaming
CPU
Intel i5 3.8Ghz
GPU
Radeon RX 580 8GB OC
Wow sturvey... I had to leave you a comment after MONTHS of troubleshooting this Z270X Ultra Gaming setup.. .I reloaded a new OS 1.0.13.6 and applied your entire EFI folder... Done. Everything, I mean everything, works. Exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so so much. Really. Unbelievably thankful.

Joe

sturvey

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z270X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 560
Thanks for the note, it's great it worked for someone!

WunSick

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
i7 7700
GPU
MSI ATI RX 580
I have almost the exact same build, but I am using the iGPU for now until I select a new card.

I could use some help though, I am able to get it to boot into the installer (past clover) but I am greeted with a gray screen that sometimes gives me a spinning cursor. High Sierra, USB 2.0 (front panel)... I am using your EFI folder although I updated Clover. Without updating it, it never displayed the MacOS Installer partition :/ I used Unibeast to create the installer USB. Ill try the tutorial you posted above when I get home.

Any advice or suggestions before I dig in? I have a space 1050 and a spare gtx660ti, wondering if I should try an alternative to the iGPU?

Also I was unable to find the following bios settings even with the save and re-enter steps you provided. (Maybe i need to update it)
  • For DVMT Pre-Allocated to show in BIOS you may need to save & reenter BIOS after setting iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled
  • Advanced \ System Agent (SA) Configuration\Graphics Configuration → DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128MB/192MB

Specs
GA-Z270X Ultra Gaming
i7 7700
16GB Corsair ddr 2400 (2x8gb)
iGPU (for now)
250gb SanDisk SSD
EVGA 550W PSU

Last edited:

sturvey

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z270X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 560
I have almost the exact same build, but I am using the iGPU for now until I select a new card.

I could use some help though, I am able to get it to boot into the installer (past clover) but I am greeted with a gray screen that sometimes gives me a spinning cursor. High Sierra, USB 2.0 (front panel)... I am using your EFI folder although I updated Clover. Without updating it, it never displayed the MacOS Installer partition :/ I used Unibeast to create the installer USB. Ill try the tutorial you posted above when I get home.

Any advice or suggestions before I dig in? I have a space 1050 and a spare gtx660ti, wondering if I should try an alternative to the iGPU?

Also I was unable to find the following bios settings even with the save and re-enter steps you provided. (Maybe i need to update it)

Specs
GA-Z270X Ultra Gaming
i7 7700
16GB Corsair ddr 2400 (2x8gb)
iGPU (for now)
250gb SanDisk SSD
EVGA 550W PSU
Hey there,

I would advise adding the 1050. I made the iGPU work (which at this point, I don't even remember what I did), but it was constantly giving me problems - freezing, losing one display or the other, and occasional remnants - so I went back to my AMD-based card. I recommend the AMD-based card because they were the only card working with Mojave, and I knew that was my next project. I don't know the current status, but I believe Apple is still not supporting Nvidia cards.

I HIGHLY recommend the use of the AMD-based cards. Have had zero issues. I also would urge the installation of Mojave. MUCH better O/S (stability, performance) that HS ever was. It will force to use APFS on the boot SSD, but the issues of the past appear to have been solved.

Best of luck!

WunSick

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
i7 7700
GPU
MSI ATI RX 580
Same EFI zip for Mojave or can you copy one for me?

Ill try tossing the 1050 in tonight. And try updating the bios. (To see if those options pop up)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Other than the USB port limit patch, the EFI folder should be the same for High Sierra and Mojave.

Don't use the GTX 1050 with Mojave, unless you are willing to settle for a glitchy display. There are no good Nvidia drivers for Mojave. Using the High Sierra drivers and a patch to make them work doesn't give the same results in Mojave as you would have in High Sierra.

WunSick

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
i7 7700
GPU
MSI ATI RX 580
Was able to boot the installer (Mojave) with your EFI files. I was able to format the drive, install to the hard drive, reboot and select the -Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD- item from Clover, boots into the installer (2nd phase) and gets to about 3mins remaining and hangs. Its been this way for 30 minutes.

Help Please? lol

Oh and its pink lol... (I am still using the iGPU for now) Not so concerned about the pink, im going to get one of these: https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B078...-2-fkmr0&ref_=pn_sr_fkmr_2_img_A1PDIPZWKAU9IY

Attachments

Last edited:

WunSick

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
i7 7700
GPU
MSI ATI RX 580
Alright, I was finally able to boot into the OS, after a few formats and re-trys. The graphics are not pink/purple in Mojave, and I was able to get it booting normally off the SSD via MultiBeast.

Time to shop for a video card, thank you so much!