[Success][Guide] Mojave 10.14.6 Vanilla "Hackintosh Deluxe" Gigabyte Z370n WiFi / i5-8400 / 970 EVO

hussaino3

Mobo
Gigabyte Z390-I AORUS PRO WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
NA
I've never used DisplayPort before so I'm not an expert with it... but I'm guessing it's not the cable; like I mentioned in my build, with the DisplayPort to DVI connected, I get video on my monitor all the way up to the Clover boot menu - but after it goes past that I don't see the desktop. I do know the desktop is there because I used my MBP and Chrome Remote Desktop to check, and it's there - so it just seems like there is no signal coming out from the DisplayPort once MacOS is fully loaded.

As for the Airport card, I selected the BCM94360CS2 because it was OEM Apple (so I know it will work native) and I found it for only $6 =)

Cheers
Hello Raine,

After the post install, did you have to do anything to make ethernet and wifi/bluetooth work?

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
Hello Raine,

After the post install, did you have to do anything to make ethernet and wifi/bluetooth work?
After installing Mojave, on first boot to desktop ethernet was working natively. Wifi and Bluetooth were working natively after I swapped out the OEM Wifi car with the OEM Apple Airport card.

wkf306

macOS
Mobo
Asus N550JV
CPU
i7
GPU
HD4600
I'm beginner, could you tell me how to change on broad Wifi & bluetooth, could you give me link on youtube, thx!

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
I'm beginner, could you tell me how to change on broad Wifi & bluetooth, could you give me link on youtube, thx!
What? Did you even bother reading "IV. Upgrading WiFi + Bluetooth Using an OEM Apple Module" in the first post of this thread?!?

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
It looks like Gigabyte decided to enable CFG Lock by default in the recent BIOS versions of the Z370N Wi-Fi board. The only way to fix it seems to be editing the BIOS
I'm currently on F10, system is working perfectly and I have no need for the added features of F11/F12.

When it comes to BIOS, I'm part of the "Unless something is going wrong with current BIOS or you specifically need a feature of a newer BIOS, generally you just leave it as-is" side... even the manufacturers state this.

inarush

Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
Intel i5-8400
GPU
MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8 GB
I'm currently on F10, system is working perfectly and I have no need for the added features of F11/F12.

When it comes to BIOS, I'm part of the "Unless something is going wrong with current BIOS or you specifically need a feature of a newer BIOS, generally you just leave it as-is" side... even the manufacturers state this.
I think you're right, and I do the same. Actually, Gigabyte itself gives the same advice. However, there are always users who want to be always up to date. My message was directed to those users.

Oh, and notice that the newer Intel processors are only supported by the latest bios, so my message could be useful for this purpose too.

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
UPDATE TO 10.14.4: Apple released a new MacOS update on March 25th, I got around to installing it the other evening and all is good. Here's how the update went:

REALLY IMPORTANT PART/DISCLAIMER ABOUT USB PATCHES/MAPPING FIRST:
If you've followed along in my build thread, you will know that I previously mapped out all of my USB ports using a custom generated "USBMap.kext". By doing this beforehand, I did not have to deal/worry about breaking USB patches and losing USB functonality with every OS update. This is because my machine no longer relies on a patch - with the "USBMap.kext" my machine knows exactly which USB ports to use.

Fun fact: A quick Google search shows that the USB patch for 10.14.3 doens't work anymore with 10.14.4 (this issue also happened with the 10.14.2 update), and requires a new USB patch PLUS two new patches to get USB working again...

So okay - if you're thinking of upgrading your Hackintosh to macOS 10.14.4, I highly suggest you map out your USB ports first. There are a lot of methods online on how to do it; to see how I did it see my post #79 in this thread. But if you want to stick with the "USBInjectAll.kext" method, then you're on your own with updating to MacOS 10.14.4 and subsequently adding/modifying patches again.

Update to MacOS 10.14.4
1. First thing's first - I made a backup of my current EFI Folder to an external HDD and copied it to my Mojave Installer flash drive/emergency boot drive (just in case), and I also did one final Time Machine backup.

2. Next, I opened Clover Configurator and updated my Hackintosh's EFI folder to version 2.4k_r4910 using the "Install/Update Clover" function:

Updating Clover is easy.

3. The last pre-update thing to do was check for any updated kexts. I found that I needed to update the following three kexts:

- AppleALC.kext (latest version is 1.3.6)
- Lilu.kext (latest version is 1.3.5)
- Whatevergreen.kext (latest version is 1.2.7)

4. Now it's actually time to start the update installation. There's a few ways to get the update, from the desktop I just went to the Apple Icon > System Preferences > Software Updates and let MacOS do it's thing. (If you want the standalone installer, you can find it here: MacOS 10.14.4 Installer) When the installer is ready, run the installer and MacOS will ask for a restart.

5. IMPORTANT: After the FIRST restart, you will see your Clover boot screen as usual, but there will be a new entry named "Boot macOS Install from [your computer name here]":

There's a new entry on my Clover boot screen.

You need to select this entry to continue the 10.14.4 installation! If you select your usual MacOS entry (or have Clover autoselect) the update will not continue. So select "Boot macOS Install..." and you should see the Apple logo doing something. Just wait until it automatically restarts.

6. After the SECOND restart, do the same thing you just did - select "Boot macOS Install..." from the Clover boot menu again. You will see the Apple logo but this time it will be accompanied by the "About XX minutes remaining" bar:

The update really begins here.

This means your system is now updating MacOS. Let it do what it needs to do until it automatically restarts.

7. After the THIRD restart, your Clover boot menu should be back to normal, with no "Boot macOS Install..." entries:

Looks normal.

Select your macOS and your system will boot to the desktop, and you're done.

8. To check that the update was installed correctly, go to Apple Icon > System Preferences > Software Updates and after a brief system check it should say "Your Mac is up to date - MacOS Mojave 10.14.4":

Software check is good.

You can also go to Apple Icon > About This Mac to check if the update was installed correctly:

"About This Mac" is good.

After the install I checked to confirm that everything was all systems normal - and it is. Everything seems to be working as it should, and all of my mapped USB ports were functional and working at their full speeds. The update to MacOS 10.14.4 is complete.

Last edited:

RoroTiti

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
GTX 1050 2GB
Hi @Raine :D !!! Actually on High Sierra on similar configuration as yours, I wanted to update to Mojave cleanly. It's what I will do in the upcoming days, thanks to your very well documented post. Thanks a lot for all the details, appreciated ;)

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
Hi @Raine :D !!! Actually on High Sierra on similar configuration as yours, I wanted to update to Mojave cleanly. It's what I will do in the upcoming days, thanks to your very well documented post. Thanks a lot for all the details, appreciated ;)
No problem.

I noticed your sig says "GTX 1050 2GB" so be aware that I'm using the integrated GPU in my build, so you're on your own with regards to getting a GTX working with Mojave.

RoroTiti

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
GTX 1050 2GB
No problem.

I noticed your sig says "GTX 1050 2GB" so be aware that I'm using the integrated GPU in my build, so you're on your own with regards to getting a GTX working with Mojave.
Exactly, I'm aware of the Mojave issue, I will probably disable hardware acceleration, since I don't really need it (I only use Xcode + Visual Studio for programming)... I upgrade to Mojave since latest Xcode release needs absolutely Mojave... :(

tambuca

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630
Thanks, Raine, for this excellent guide and ongoing story. I used Hackintosher’s 4k HTPC Build to build a similar Hackintosh shortly before Mojave came out. I've had High Sierra 10.13.5 running on it flawlessly.

I finally decided to upgrade to Mojave and have managed to get 10.14.0 up and running however the graphics and audio support aren't working correctly. Given the Clover version, config and kext changes required to get to 10.14.4, I have decided not to try to fix 10.14.0 but just move directly to 10.14.4.

Would you be willing to share you EFI folder? I know you have a custom USB port mapping however it would be very useful as a starting point.

Thanks again.

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
Thanks, Raine, for this excellent guide and ongoing story. I used Hackintosher’s 4k HTPC Build to build a similar Hackintosh shortly before Mojave came out. I've had High Sierra 10.13.5 running on it flawlessly.

I finally decided to upgrade to Mojave and have managed to get 10.14.0 up and running however the graphics and audio support aren't working correctly. Given the Clover version, config and kext changes required to get to 10.14.4, I have decided not to try to fix 10.14.0 but just move directly to 10.14.4.
Start with this: https://hackintosher.com/wp-content/uploads/Hackintosher-Mojave-10.14-EFI.zip
Then try this: https://hackintosher.com/guides/hackintosh-mojave-10-14-4-update-guide/

tambuca

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630
I got 10.14.4 up and running with no issues connected via either of the HDMI ports on the mobo however I would like to get DisplayPort working. This what I used with 10.13.5 and my monitor has only one HDMI input but two DisplayPort.

When I connect to my monitor via DisplayPort, my screen goes black every 5-10 secs for 2-3 secs. Has anyone got DisplayPort working on 10.14.4?

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
I got 10.14.4 up and running with no issues connected via either of the HDMI ports on the mobo however I would like to get DisplayPort working. This what I used with 10.13.5 and my monitor has only one HDMI input but two DisplayPort.

When I connect to my monitor via DisplayPort, my screen goes black every 5-10 secs for 2-3 secs. Has anyone got DisplayPort working on 10.14.4?
If your monitor has HDMI and Displayport, why not just use the HDMI in the first place?

tambuca

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630
If your monitor has HDMI and Displayport, why not just use the HDMI in the first place?
It is mostly for convenience. I have my Hack on the right side of my desk with the DP cable permanently plugged in. I have the HDMI cable on the left side of my desk and use it to plug in other devices e.g. my work laptop (I hate the small screens on laptops!) On occasion, I have had a time intensive task running on my Hack and been working on another device in parallel then I switch the monitor inputs back and forth.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
UPDATE TO 10.14.5: Apple released a new MacOS update on May 16th, and updating from 10.14.4 was very easy. Updating to this version was similar to the previous 10.14.4 in terms of what was required - which isn't much at all. The whole process took about 15 minutes (mostly waiting for the update to install).

REALLY IMPORTANT PART/DISCLAIMER ABOUT USB PATCHES/MAPPING FIRST:
I am not using a USB port limit patch! I have all of my USB ports mapped out using a custom generated "USBMap.kext", so I do not lose USB functionality whenever I update MacOS. If you wish to do this before updating, please see my post #79 in this thread; I strongy recommend generating your own USB map file, it makes everything work better and updating much easier. But if you want to stick with the "USBInjectAll.kext" method, you can follow the Hackintosher 10.14.5 update guide here.

Update to MacOS 10.14.5
1. As usual before any upgrade/update, I did three things:
A. Made a backup of my current EFI Folder to an external HDD;
B. Copied the current EFI folder to my Mojave Installer flash drive/emergency boot drive;
C. Did a complete Time Machine backup

2. Next, I opened Clover Configurator and updated my Hackintosh's EFI folder to version 2.4k_r4920 using the "Install/Update Clover" function:

Updating Clover is quick and easy.

3. The last pre-update thing to do was check for any updated kexts. For MacOS 10.14.5 I found that I only needed to update two kexts:

- AppleALC.kext (latest version is 1.3.7)
- Whatevergreen.kext (latest version is 1.2.8)

4. Now time to start the update. The easiest way to get started is by going to the Apple Icon > System Preferences > Software Updates and let MacOS do it's thing.

Click here...

...then click here...

2.79gb, not too big of an update.

5. IMPORTANT: Just like with 10.14.4, after the system restarts you will see your Clover boot screen as usual, but there will be an extra entry named "Boot macOS Install from [your computer name here]":

There's a new entry the my Clover boot screen.

You need to select this entry to continue the 10.14.5 installation. If you select your usual MacOS entry (or have Clover auto-select) the update WILL NOT continue. So select "Boot macOS Install..." and you should see the Apple logo doing something. Just wait until it automatically restarts.

6. After the SECOND restart, do the same thing you just did - select "Boot macOS Install..." from the Clover boot menu again. You will see the Apple logo but this time it will be accompanied by the "About XX minutes remaining" bar:

The update really begins here.

This means your system is now updating MacOS. Let it do what it needs to do until it automatically restarts. NOTE: If your monitor goes to black or goes to auto-sleep, don't worry - MacOS is still updating. My screen went black for about 5 minutes during the install, but I knew it wasn't frozen since the HDD LED on my computer case was flashing, indicating that the system was doing the update. After about 5 minutes the Apple logo and progress bar popped up again on my monitor and continued as usual.

7. After the THIRD restart, your Clover boot menu should be back to normal, with no "Boot macOS Install..." entries. Select your macOS and your system will boot to the desktop, and you're done.

The update is complete.

8. To check that the update was installed correctly, go to Apple Icon > About This Mac to check if the update was installed correctly:

"About This Mac" is good.

After the update everything was working as usual. all my peripherals were working as they did with 10.14.4, and all of my USB ports were working as well without having to deal with USB port limit patches. The update to MacOS 10.14.5 is complete.

Last edited:

anhkieet

macOS
Mobo
Z370N wifi
CPU
i5-8500
GPU
iGPU
Did anyone has an issue about two HDMI ports? Currently I am connecting 2 monitors via HDMI ports. But HDMI 2.0 works fine but the other one does not.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370n WiFi
CPU
Core i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD 630 4k + MDP
Did anyone has an issue about two HDMI ports? Currently I am connecting 2 monitors via HDMI ports. But HDMI 2.0 works fine but the other one does not.
I have my second HDMI port connected to my 4k TV and it's running perfectly. Check your cables, the HDMI ports on the Z370n sits close to the edge of the I/O, I found that some of my "standard" HDMI cables would not fit all the way into the ports because the plug base was physically hitting the rear of my case, so the actual HDMI plug wasn't going into the socket all the way.

anhkieet

macOS
Mobo
Z370N wifi
CPU
i5-8500
GPU
iGPU
I have my second HDMI port connected to my 4k TV and it's running perfectly. Check your cables, the HDMI ports on the Z370n sits close to the edge of the I/O, I found that some of my "standard" HDMI cables would not fit all the way into the ports because the plug base was physically hitting the rear of my case, so the actual HDMI plug wasn't going into the socket all the way.
Could you please share your clover config.plist file? Thank you

Latest posts