[Success][Guide] OpenCore Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X i7 10700 (Big Sur/Catalina)

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
Intel i7-10700K
GPU
Radeon 580
They are named differently in the OS, one iMac and the other Backup iMac. In Opencore boot loader though they are both called iMac. I think this is because Carbon Copy is cloning everything on the drive to make it bootable.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Try re-set NVRAM in the boot loader. See if it clears up the names.

Remember that cloning with CCC will not copy your EFI partition data. So on it's own, it will not boot. You have to copy the EFI folder to the cloned drives EFI partition.... but for simplicity I would just have 1 OpenCore boot loader for the system and keep your macOS installer thumb drive to boot from as back up of OpenCore for emergency boot.

Last time I used CCC was to clone my main drive that had Catalina on it (before wiping the drive and installing Big Sur). Once cloned I booted up in that drive and renamed it Catalina (it was named something else before). That is all I had to do,. No changes to OpenCore.

If your doing something else with CCC and running it all the time, you may have to remove that disk from the process, rename it and then re-introduce it into CCC.

macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
@Railgun After i update your latest efi folder, booting macos not possible for me. I addded -v argument for boot and i am getting this screen.

I don't have your previous EFI files, i can't rollback to old EFI. Next time i will keep old EFI folder.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
After remove these lines from Config.plist :

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>MaxKernel</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>PlistPath</key>
    <string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <true/>
    <key>MinKernel</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>ExecutablePath</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>BundlePath</key>
    <string>AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext</string>
</dict>
System now booting, did you forget to add this kext file ?

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
lifteri, thanks for catching that. It is a kext I use in my EFI for optical drive that I sometimes attach. I had forgotten to take it out. Will re-upload a new file in the 1st post.

Updated EFI folder in 1st post.

Also noting here that ProperTree dose not seem to work in Big Sur 11.1.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
ProperTree issue seems to be known by the developer. Here is the verbiage from the ProperTree Github site:
  • ProperTree crashes on Big Sur (macOS 11)
    This is due to the default python installs on macOS leveraging an older tk version - which lacks support for macOS 11. To solve this, you can download and install the latest python 3 version from https://www.python.org/downloads/mac-osx/ then leverage the buildapp-python3.command from ProperTree's Scripts directory to build a .app bundle that will leverage that python version.
    If you already have python 3 installed via brew or another package manager - it is likely still linking to the system tk version, which will still have issues unless linked against a newer version.
I updated my Python install to 3.9.1 (latest release) and still have the issue that ProperTree won't open. I deleted the ProperTree app I had built from the Applications folder, rebuilt the app with the latest ProperTree release, so the old system tk version would not be used.

However, the same issue arises, I still can't open plist files with ProperTree on Big Sur 11.1.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Thanks Edhawk, I tried that also... I will keep an eye out on the GitHub page for update.

Last edited:

slowdive

macOS
Mobo
Thinkpad - X230
CPU
i5-3320m
GPU
HD Graphics 4000
I've been trying to hack my mobo (Z490M GAMING X (rev. 1.0), I3 10100, using the iGPU) into the Opencore, but all that I've been able to manage was a black screen after the boot verbose.
So far with your EFI(and some changes to enable the iGPU), i've got as far as the Mac OS logo, but soon enough, the PC shuts down and reboot.
I've been trying to figure out what's going on, both motherboards seems very similar by the spec sheet, but i didn't manage any success. I'll send my config.plist, and if someone can figure out what the heck is going on, i'll be much obligled.

Attachments

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Try and message Ibland, I think he had it worked out (back on page 3) but he did not post his EFI.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
There is a fix for the ProperTree issue in Big Sur. Below I have pasted a copy of a post by a Github member (d4vid1):
  1. first open terminal and get latest version of ProperTree with git or download as zip file and unzip it
  2. And then get and install this python version for Big Sur
  3. run or Click on this command tool from Python 3.9 folder in Applications
    • Update Shell Profile.command
  4. Go to the Scripts Folder of PropeTree to build a .app with
    • ./buildapp-python3.command
  5. and try to run a ProperTree.app from folder.
This worked for me, I now have a working ProperTree App in my Applications folder on my Big Sur drive.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Thanks Edhawk... that works here also. What I did not realize at first is that it creates an app....I am use to just double clicking on "ProperTree.command" and then it launches via terminal.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You too, stay safe.

macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
@Railgun Your bios settings not working well for me. Waiting a while for login screen with your setting. I rollback to my custom settings.

If someone need bios settings for Gigabyte z400 series board here is my settings:

Favorites
  • Extreme Memory Profile X.M.P. - Profile 1 or Enabled
  • CSM Support - Disabled
  • Secure Boot Mode - Custom or Disabled
  • VT-d - Disabled
  • Sata Controllers - Enabled
Settings - IO Ports
  • Initial Display Output - PCIe 1 Slot
  • Internal Graphics - Disabled
  • Above 4G Decoding - Enabled or Disabled
Settings - IO Ports - Super IO Configuration
  • Serial Port - Disabled
Settings - IO Ports - USB Configuration
  • XHCI Hard-off - Enabled
Settings - IO Ports - Network Stack Configuration
  • Network Stack - Disabled
Settings IO Ports - SATA And RST Configuration
  • SATA Mode Selection - AHCI
Boot
  • CFG Lock - Disabled
  • Security Option - Disabled
  • Fast Boot - Disabled or Disabled Link
  • Windows 10 Features - Other OS
These settings tested with GA-Z490 Gaming X on F6C and F6D BIOS

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
lifteri, thanks for posting your findings. I have noted it and linked to your post in the guide.

I am still on the original bios (F2) and my settings from the guide work fine. My login is set to auto. My system boot up time into macOS is pretty quick (though I have never timed it). I only notice that it slowed a bit after some update or change but after a couple of restarts it then goes back to the same speedy boot up time.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Z490 GAMING X
CPU
GPU
Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB
@Railgun I updated my bios version for new feature :
  1. Enable Resizable Base-Address Register (Resizable-BAR) option to enhance GPU performance
  2. Enable platform communication with Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology
  3. Improve UHD BD (4K BD) support
  4. Improve AORUS Storage Manager support for AORUS RAID SSD 2TB, convenient user operation experience
  5. Improve RGB DDR compatibility
Playing games on windows side :devilish:

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I purchased some wanted/needed "budget" upgrades this month :giggle:

Dec2020upgrades.jpeg

I replaced my 5yr old Mammoth mouse (switches were going out) with the same but updated model Redragon M801 Snipper ($22). Then I delved into the can of worms world of mechanical keyboards. I went with a budget Royal Kludge RK68 ($48). And lastly I also picked up a Motospeed K23 num pad ($20) that I plan on moding.

I still don't know when I will upgrade from the stock Intel cooler. I know I need too, but have not pulled the trigger on the NZXT (so pricey). I did mange to buy/instal a 2nd 500GB Samsung NVMe a few months ago. This build has been great so far.

Update: I don't recommend the Redragon M801 Snipper. Just after a few weeks now and it is not working properly. Returning it ASAP!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Nice purchases, it was Christmas not long ago, and this year has been sh*te, so splashing out and treating yourself is allowed!

I use the Corsair Hydro H60 AIO liquid cooler on nearly all of my systems, they last for years with little maintenance. They have a nice quiet fan that keeps my CPU temps down at around 34°-38°C. Much better than any stock cooler. Never really see the temps go much above 50°C.

Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 01.38.13.png HW Monitor temps etc. from my main Hack.

There are some other more costly coolers in the Hydro range that use larger radiators and fans but the H60 does for my uses.

The Corsair H60 AIO units go for around $60 on Amazon.com, similar to the NZXT Kraken M22 AIO units, which go for around $64.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I was after the NZXT Kraken X53.

I am also considering the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition and the Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Of the three coolers you mentioned I would go for the NZXT Kraken X53 Water Cooled AIO system, although $129 is a bit pricey for a CPU cooler.

Unless you are a gamer running your system on Extreme/Ultra settings, I think the large rad and dual fans is overkill. I find for or Adobe apps, AutoCad, general gaming at High settings at 2560x1440 resolution and general computing needs, the single fan and smaller rad will suffice.

The other two would have been fine 5-6 years ago. Now days any air cooled system is unlikely to perform as well as a Water Cooled AIO system.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Good to know... I will reconsider some other models.