[Success][Guide] OpenCore Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X i7 10700 (Big Sur/Catalina)

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Thanks Edhawk... I have read people say no drivers and some say web drivers needed. Also the use of nvda_drv_vrl=1 however that was all before big sur.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Kepler series of Nvidia Cards are natively supported in macOS, all recent versions up to and including Big Sur. There is no need to add any boot arguments, SSDT's, or additional kexts and they never needed the NVIDIA Web Drivers.

I run quite a few of these Kepler series cards on my hacks and even on a real Mac. The cards I use including the following:
  • GTX 780 Ti - Mojave and Catalina (Haswell Hack)
  • GTX 690 - Catalina & Big Sur (AMD FX hack)
  • GT710 - Catalina (Server/HTPC Hack)
  • Quadro K4200 - Catalina and Big Sur (Haswell Hack)
  • 2 x Quadro K600 - Catalina (Pair of HP Microserver Gen8 Hacks)
  • Quadro K1100m - Mojave (2010 iMac i7-870 (real Mac) Hacked with OC)
Depending on the system they are installed in to some don't require WhateverGreen.kext, in fact they won't work correctly with WhateverGreen installed. This was most prevalent with the Quadro K4200 card when it was installed in a Skylake HP Server.

I would recommend @HackG521 do the following:
  1. Remove and and all Nvidia based boot arguments, kexts and patches from the system.
  2. Run the system with just WhateverGreen.kext providing Graphics fixes for the Titan card.
  3. If that doesn't help, remove WhateverGreen.kext and see if that changes anything.
I think I used Inject Nvidia=true graphics option at some point for a couple of the cards, when running Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan, possibly Sierra too.

OpenCore doesn't have an equivalent quirk for this Nvidia graphics setting. If the Titan card is running on an OC booted system that fix is not an option.

I used to run the Haswell/GTX 780 Ti system with every version of OSX and macOS, from Mavericks to Catalina inclusive, on two SSD's until recently. One SSD formatted HFS+ running Mavericks to Sierra, the other formatted APFS with three containers for High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. The system ran using Clover and the iMac 14.2 SMBIOS. They all worked just fine with no need for NVIDIA Web Drivers or any Nvidia specific boot arguments.

Let's see what HackG531 is using before we go any further.

HackG521

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z490 Gamin X
CPU
Intel i7 10700
GPU
GTX Titan (Kepler)
Hey Guys,
thanks for your suggestions. I'm trying a clean reinstall of Big Sur now. The Problem with my first Big Sur install was, that after a certain time (normally like 1h) the system just froze. I still do not know, if it is by any means a problem with the Graphics Card. I tried SMBIOS iMac20,1 and iMacPro1,1. The Apple Crash report always was something about a timeout on a certain CPU core.

I will also validate my Hardware just using a boring Windows install. I will report on further findings.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490M Gaming X
CPU
i5 10400
GPU
iGPU 630
Your post is very helpful to me, thank you very much!!! Build also working for Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X

Ok.
Im understood my error.
Copy folder EFI to partition, not subfolder...
First time installer start.
But after first reboot, he cannot continue installer.
If i try choose boot device manual - usb dont show menu and reboot

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
If I understand correctly you created the Big Sur installer in windows using VM. The installer boots and you start to install but after the 1st re-boot nothing happens...

What is the format of the drive you are installing Big Sur on? It needs to be APFS.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Big Sur won't install to a HFS+ formatted drive. MacOS will usually convert any NVME or SSD to APFS as part of the installation process.

Catalina and Big Sur have to be installed to an APFS formatted drive, otherwise the system won't work. As you are discovering.

This has nothing to do with the hardware/components you are using, this is an OS requirement.

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
That is correct. When you boot from your thumb drive (Big Sur installer), run disk utility and format the destination drive to APFS.

Start the install and it should re-boot correctly when it needs to.

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Sorry, I don't understand the question. I looked up your monitor dell u2515h and it looks to have the following ports... HDMI, DP and mini-DP. These should all work, but I am not familiar with your GPU (RX480) ports vary by brand and model.